‹ Prequel: Bliss and Bloodlust
Status: Active! Comment, Subsribe, Recommend.

Hurts Like Heaven

Prologue.

~Bossier City, Louisiana; Nineteen Twenty-One.~


The summer sun was beating down and people were trying to find relief under shaded trees and indoors. But he felt nothing but cold as he walked along the dirty pavements to the fairgrounds.

The gypsies had set up a little carnival on the edge of the town he had decided to pass through. He had seen enough of the south to last a lifetime but he couldn't resist the fair.

There were children everywhere, most ignored him, while others, with their dark dirty faces ran as he approached. Some children were like that, they had a sixth sense about his kind. The place smelled of outdoors and animal waste. The animals were in cages, on display for the townsfolk who had turned up. They hated gypsies but didn't mind the entertainment. Silly, stupid, hypocritical humans.

He walked on, pass the games, pass tents with performers inside, pass the pretty young ladies with their long dark hair who smiled as he walked by, pass the animals. Then he saw a handwritten sign, Readings, 25 cents. He smiled and thought, why not.

He stepped inside the low lit wooden trailer and there sat a lovely young woman with dark skin, dark hair, dark eyes, dark... everything. She looked alarmed for a moment upon seeing him, which gave him some satisfaction. She knew what he was.

“Bloodsucker.” she snarled, her accent thick mix of western European and southern American. She stood up, her long flowing skirt brushed the floor as she stepped closer, her eyes hooded. “It's been a longtime since I've seen your kind in these parts.”

“We keep to ourselves.” he told her.

“Well, what can I do you for?”

“Nothing, really, I was just... curious.” he said looking around at the books, skulls, lit candles and other oddities that covered the small space.

“So you're not here to kill me, then.” she laughed darkly. “Good to know.”

He said nothing. She walked over to the door he had just entered through, shut it tight, locked it and drew a curtain over the window there. Then she went and sat a table at the back of the room, a crystal ball was in the middle the table which was draped with a wide silky scarf, and tarot card sat neatly in a deck. Perhaps the humans would find this intriguing, but he just found it cheap.

“Would you like me to tell you your future?” she asked, looking up at him once he walked over to the table.

“I'm dead, remember.” he said stiffly, “I don't have a future.”

The dark woman smiled. “Quite the contrary. Sit.” she demanded. After a moment of thought he sat across from her. “Give me your hands.”

“Aren't you going to read my palm, or use those cards?”

“No. Give me your hands.”

He stared at her for a moment before doing as he was told. She took his cool hands in her warm ones and looked into his eyes.

“I wouldn't do that if I were you.” he said, not breaking his gaze.

“It won't work on me, vampire. I'm protected.”

“Yes, you are... witch.”

She grinned. “I prefer gypsy. Gypsies don't get burned at the stake. Now shush.”

She took in a deep breath, shut her eyes and tilted her head towards the heavens. For long moment nothing happened. He wanted to pull away but she held him still. Her eyes fluttered for a minute before they opened again, this time they were clouded and gray. The flames of the candles shot up brightly and the air thickened and stirred. His own eyes widened in surprise. He had seen witchcraft before but not like this.

She gripped his hands tighter and said in a heavy otherworldly voice, “You must save her so she can save you.”

Was she a seer. He had heard of seers, knew what they could do, but if she were an actual prophet, then why would see be wasting her talents in a carny fair? He was skeptical. Yet....

“But many moons shall pass before your paths meet.” she went on. He didn't understand any of it and her gray eyes were disturbing him. “A lifetime of loneliness and searching. You died many times Daniel, and many lives have died at your hands. But she is your destiny, and you are hers.” she sucked in a breath, “You must save her so she can save you. But many moon shall pass before you paths meet.”

Then it was over. Her eyes returned to their normal dark brown, her head bowing, tired.

And he hadn't had a clue whether or not to believe a thing she had said. It hadn't really made no sense. Who was this she that the witch had referred to? And how on gods green earth would see save him?

“And just what was that supposed to be?” he asked skeptically, snatching his hands away.

She smiled slyly, a bit exhausted, but pleased. “Your path, vampire. Your future. Your destiny.”

The only problem with that was, that he didn't believe in destiny.