‹ Prequel: Bliss and Bloodlust
Status: Active! Comment, Subsribe, Recommend.

Hurts Like Heaven

Chapter Nine.

“Dan I need you.” I said with a quivering voice to the what I believed was his voicemail, although I hadn't heard a beep to tell me to leave a message. So I shouldn't have been surprised when Daniel actually answered.

“Darling, what's wrong?” he said urgently.

“Alexander.”

And that was all I needed to say. “I'll be there soon.”

He hung up and I felt so utterly scared, and alone in my own home. I didn't know how this had happened. I had been careful. Had I somehow let him trick me into letting him in? Had I left the house? How could I have left when the vampires outside could have easily stopped me? How could they have let Alexander get anywhere near me in the first place? Unless Alexander had gotten to them first. What had happened?

Then it clicked. He was in my head again, he had made me do something against my will. I was really getting tired of this mind assault. I didn't like that he occupied a space in my head, he had control over me, my actions, my thoughts. It felt like a form of rape. I shuddered but refused to cry. I cautiously made my way downstairs. In the kitchen I grabbed two of the biggest knifes I had. If I couldn't have my stake, this would do.

Then the doorbell rang. I went rigid. I knew it wasn't Daniel. Dan had a key. He wouldn't need to ring or knock. Aaron was with Cass again today and knew I didn't want any visitors. And with my sharper senses, courtesy of the vamp blood, I hadn't heard a car approach. So who in hell was this?

With knives in hand I walked down the hall to the front door. The bell rung again just when I was a few feet away. Through the curtained window at the door I could see the silhouetted outline of a tall man.

“Miss Mulligan. It's Detective Fords.”

He sounded like himself, but he could be bewitched or compelled. How come I hadn't heard him approached? Maybe I was too distracted to notice. Or something else was going on. I was very reluctant to open the door, but he wouldn't leave. He knew I was home, or so he hoped since my truck was in the driveway. Plus he had just peaked around the curtain and in a thin crack there he could see me. I lowered the knives quickly, placed them one hand and hid them behind my back. He waved and I had not choice but to open the door.

“Hello, detective.” I said pleasantly, looking at him and my surrounding both. “Now is not a good time.”

I looked over his shoulder, making sure no one was lurking. Where were those damn vampires? Shouldn't they have stopped him from getting close to the house? Maybe Dan had told them to just observe the humans, figure out their intentions. Hell, for all I know they had compelled him before he reached the door, and knew he meant me no harm. Maybe.

While I thought this Fords was looking over my face. I'm pretty sure he wondering why I looked so distracted, and so much better. I should still be a black and blue bruise fest. I had my bandage still attached to my neck to keep up the look, but I was pain free. In fact beyond the immense fear for my own sanity I was feeling rather spectacular.

“I won't be but a few minutes.” The detective finally said after he was done with his gawking, “May I come in?”

I had opened the door only so much, and the detective tried to look around and behind me. I don't know if he could tell I was hiding something. I didn't care. If he was here to do harm, I was only trying to defend myself.

“No.” I said as politely as possible.

His face twisted a little at that, but he said nothing. I noticed his face was freshly shaven and he looked a little less tired than he had days before. My eyes went to the folder in his left hand and his sidearm, barely hidden beneath his suit jacket. How fast could he draw it?

“What's this about?” I made sure not to be too close to him, and kept my body on my side of the door frame. Luckily he was standing a few feet back and if he made a reach to grab me I would have enough time to move back and slam the door. Or stab him. Whatever occurred to me first. “You're making a house call, so it must be important.”

“Well, I wouldn't have had to if you would have answered your phone. I called you several times, Miss Mulligan.”

Oh. Well, I was missing several hours of my life. I hadn't thought to check my phone messages. Other things took precedence at times like these. “I wanted you to come down to the station.”

“My apologies. I was resting.”

He looked doubtful. “I wanted you to go over the details of your attack again. To make sure there wasn't anything you missed. And I also wanted to let you know we may have a lead on your case.”

That was unexpected. I stood up straighter, my knives still hidden uncomfortably behind my back, and said, “Really?”

I moved so I could discretely place the knives in the umbrella stand by the door. They were within reach if I needed them. I hated paranoia. I didn't think he would do anything to me now, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

He handed me the folder. I took it cautiously. Inside were several photos of dark haired men. None of them were my vampire attacker, I hadn't expected them to be. I looked them over more than once, for the benefit of Fords.

“You recognize any of them? Take your time.”

“No. Sorry officer. Never seen them before.” I told him honestly, handing him back the folder. I was wondering why they had thought they any of them were responsible?

“Are you sure?”

“Positive.”

“You're memory was a little hazy that night. I was hoping that maybe you remembered more.”

I shook my head slowly. “Sorry. No. But I'm sure that none of them are guilty of attacking me.”

He began asking me some of the same questions he had that night at the hospital, and I answered the same as I had then. To his disappointment. He knew I was hiding something, he just didn't know what.

Daniel was coming up the drive now in his Chevy. I breathed a sigh of relief. Dan was here. I was safe.

Detective Fords face twisted at the sight of my boyfriend. He didn't like him, but who cared. Daniel's face was stern when he got out of the car, and made his way to the porch.

“Detective. Is there a problem?” he asked. He was a few feet from the man, and I could tell he wanted to snarl at him. By his stance I could tell how tense Daniel was, ready to strike if the opportunity presented itself.

“I had a few things to ask your girlfriend.” So I was no longer Miss Mulligan, I see. Interesting.

“She's had a rough week,. Couldn't this had waited?” his voice was a shade rougher than before.

Fords didn't cower in fear, he looked Dan in the eyes and said, “This was important. There is a man out there hurting women. Your girlfriend was attacked. She could have died. We're trying to catch this psychopath before he does this,” he gestured to me, “to someone else.”

“Wait a minute,” I jumped in before Daniel could say a word, “You said 'women'. There's been others?”

Fords only looked at me when he spoke, but his body was still facing Daniel. “I really can't-”

“Someone else had been attacked?” I interrupted. “In the same way I was attacked?”

“I'm not at liberty to speak about that.”

Bull. He wouldn't have brought it up had he not been at liberty. I knew what he was trying to do but I had to know.

“Are they...” I couldn't finish my sentence.

Fords said nothing. But he had a crappy poker face. The spectacular feeling ebbed away. I felt sick.

Was Fords being truthful, had other women been attacked? Or was he just trying to guilt me into giving him more information? Dan had only said one human had been killed. Did something happen last night? And if it had, how did the police know about it? Vampires tended to clean up those messes and kept the humans out of it. Daniels face gave nothing away. I frowned at him.

“Look,” said Detective Fords, “You have my card. Call if you have anything else to add.” With a glower at Daniel, he left.

Daniel brushed past me and entered the house, shutting the door behind him. He reached beside me and pulled the knives out of the stand. “Prepared were we?” I shrugged. “What's happened?”

As I gave him the run down on my theory of what may or may not have happened this afternoon, I showed him the bite on my lip as we sat at the kitchen table, my stomach had been growling and I had to force some food inside of me to keep from becoming sick. Staring at Daniel I was surprised at how well he had control over his anger now.

“You've fed?” I asked.

“Yes.”

“Good. Good.”

His angry eyes were on mine. “He took your blood again.”

“Yes. He did.”

“He wants you for himself.”

Is that what he though? “Oh, come on. I'm nothing special. He's after revenge. Through me he's trying to hurt you. I think he just wants to prove to you who's in control.”

Daniel got up and went to the fridge. He took out the orange juice bottle and poured the remainder into his glass. “You're out of OJ.” he said, tossing the empty jug in the trash bin. He sat down and brought the glass to his lips.

I folded my arms. “Okay, what gives?” I said.

Daniel paused in the middle of his sip. “Excuse me?”

“The orange juice. You've been only drinking orange juice lately.”

He put the glass down and looked at me, rather guiltily. “It's, uh, for the cravings.”

“For blood?”

He nodded. “Citrus. It combats the cravings. Makes them more... bearable.”

“Really?” I asked, more intrigued than skeptical.

He gave me one of his crooked smiles. “Yes, darling.”

“Does it work?”

“For the most part, yes.”

“But it's not enough.”

“It's a temporary fix.”

“But you've fed, right? So-”

“I like the taste, too.”

Something clicked in my mind. “Is that why you bought me that perfume?”

For my birthday, along with a lovely gold and emerald necklace, my lover had gotten me a bottle of citrus based perfume. It smelled wonderful and fresh. I wore it all the time. And he said he had enjoyed the scent on my skin so much that I began spritzing it in some rather...uh... interesting places.

He smiled like I had just discovered a delicious secret.

“You could have just told me.”

“And missed the scent of it on the back of your knees? Never.” he smirked, “Not to mention between your breast, and on your-”

I threw my hand up. “Okay, I get it.”

He chuckled and finished his drink. “Back to the problem at hand.”

“Any news?” I asked, “Besides the trail of death he's left in his wake, and the mind games?”

“I hadn't meant to leave out that news, there was so much else going on.”

“It wasn't an accusation, but why did you tell me of only one?”

“I didn't want you to worry. And it was only one then.”

I was almost afraid to ask. “So how many are there now?”

“Officially three.” My eyebrows rose and my eyes widened. “The ones the police found before we could. There were actually ten so far. Alexander had a reckless disregard for human life.”

Why was I surprised? “So am I the only one he's left alive?”

“As far as I know, yes.”

“Okay. You've been out hunting. What's been going on? Why aren't the vampires out there?” I paused and looked at him. “Or will that compromise things if you tell me?”

He looked away guiltily. No answer needed. I was might be a liability. With Alexander in control, because let's be honest, he was, I couldn't truly be trusted. That reality hit me like a ton of bricks. I tried to smile and let him know that I was okay, but he knew me well.

He moved over and pulled me into his arms. “I'll fix this.”

“What if you can't?”

“That's not an option.”

I pulled back and looked at him. “What if he makes me leave again?”

He looked at my lips quickly, then said, “There's something we might be able to do. But you're going to hate it.”

I knew where he was headed with this, and he was right, I didn't like it. But what choice did I have? “Would compulsion even work on me now?”

“If I compel you to not to leave the house, or let in anyone besides myself, it would work. I can't override any compulsion he may have given you, and hopefully he hadn't compelled you to give him entry into the house, but it should work. It can be a short term solution.”

I swallowed and nodded. “Do what you have to.”

I straightened in my seat and looked him in the eye, his blue ones on my brown ones. I only remember being compelled once before by Dan. I had been in fear then, but I remembered how his eyes had looked. And now they were the same. His pupils dilated til there was only a thin ring of blue.

“Tourie,” he said in a low steady, calm voice, “You are not allowed to leave this house, and under any circumstances should you invite Alexander, or any other vampire into this house. Nod if you understand me.”
I felt myself nodding slowly.

“What I'm going to tell you next you will only remember when you need to. Understand?” I nodded and what felt like a second later it was over. I don't recall whatever he had said to me.

“Are you okay?” asked Daniel.

“Yeah. So whatever you had to tell me that you didn't want me to know about, how can you be sure Al-... he can't access it?” God, was I thinking of myself as if I were a computer.

“I'm not. But what else can we do right now?”

“Nothing.”

We both grew quiet for a moment.

“Dan, he took more of my blood. He'll have even more control over me.”

“Baby.” Daniel knelled down in front of me. “I never wanted any of this to happen. But it has, so I'm going to do all can to rectify this.” I wanted to ask about his witch friend, but knew he couldn't speak freely. As if he could read my mind he said, “Actually I've been doing some research. Found some interesting things.”

I nodded.

“I'll be right back.”

He was out the door vampire fast and returned a few seconds later. I heard the door shut a second before he reached me.

“I brought you something.” He put a cloth bag on the table and pulled out six wooden stakes and a contraption that looked an awful lot like a miniature metal crossbow.

“Oh, sweetie,” I cooed, “it's just what I wanted. You shouldn't have.”

He winked. “I know what my girl likes.”

“Wait.” I said before he could hand it over. “What if I accidentally try to stake you, instead?” I pointed to my head. “A certain vampire might love something like this.”

“I'll take my chances.”

I looked at him hard, but he wasn't backing down.

I took the crossbow thingy, and examined it. He showed me how easy it was to use. “Vampires are fast, yes, but you'll at least have some protection. And this is more effective for a human than just a plain old stake in your hand. It shoots out at sixty five miles per hour. So hold it tightly when you shoot. It two can load at one time. And it's easy to reload.”

With Dan's help and a bit of practice I was able to load two safely and quickly.

“Good, darling. I feel better.” He smiled at me, “Want me to stay with you tonight?”

I said yes, because well, selfishly I missed him in my bed, holding me. From a practical standpoint I felt more protected with him here. I didn't mind admitting I needed him now. I wanted him to take care of me. After a day like this, I needed my alone time with my man.

But I was also sensible. “Can you afford to stay with me? I mean, if you have to go, go.”

“I'll let you know if I have to leave, but for now this is where I should be.”

I left with Dan so we could pick up something to make for dinner (which Dan cooked, feeling it was safer than ordering out) and two more gallons of orange juice. When we got back, after a thorough search of the premises, he made and took several phone calls during dinner, and always out of my earshot. Which was fine by me. Whatever he was doing, and with whom was none of my business now.

As I was examining my lip in the mirror in my bedroom, Daniel sat on the bed watching me. The punctures were healing slowly, and the swelling was subsiding. I saw how Daniel looked at the wound, a bit of helplessness in his eyes, a bit of frustration, and definitely rage. This could have been prevented, he was thinking, if only he had been here. But that isn't so, there was nothing he could do if Alexander wanted me to come to him. I couldn't even remember where I had been, if I had left at all. I was really hoping I hadn't invited him in.

I was still wondering about the vampire's outside. If Alexander had showed up, then why hadn't anyone stopped him? Could he overpower them? Dan had told me that vampires couldn't be compelled, but their makers had powers over them. So what had happened? And if I had left, why hadn't anyone stopped me or notice? Perhaps magic could make the vampires look the other way. I don't know. There were too many possibilities.

And as I continued to stare at my lip, I began thinking, maybe a little of Dan's blood wouldn't hurt.

“What's going on in that head of your, darling?”

I smiled at him. “Too many things, really.”

He came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. “Come on, it's late. We'll talk more in the morning. Get in bed with me.”

He pulled me back with him and I nestled my head against his chest. His arms stayed around me. “Dan. I'm scared.”

“I know.” was all he said. I thought I wouldn't be able to sleep, but I found my eyes drooping, and soon I was out like a light.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys, long time no see. I've been meaning to update for a while, and finally got around to it. Hope you liked it. - Z.