‹ Prequel: Bliss and Bloodlust
Status: Active! Comment, Subsribe, Recommend.

Hurts Like Heaven

Chapter Three.

He wore a sadistic grin, fangs out, looking as sharp as a butchers blade, eyes eerily dark and as bottomless as a black hole. And he began laughing. Menacing laughter that filled up the small space.

I screamed though it came out strangled and made the stitches on my neck pull uncomfortably tighter. I screamed louder and turned around to find no one there. I gripped the sink behind me with both hands to keep upright.

Daniel burst in suddenly and pulled me to him, intently looking around the bathroom, ready for action. “What happened?” I could hear Aunt Bren coming down the hallway.

“I saw him.” I rasped out. “He was behind me and then... and then he wasn't.” I was losing it. That was it. I was really losing my mind.

Daniel's eyes got wide and he gave me an odd look. Aunt Bren rushed in. “Are you okay?” she asked, her sleeping mask resting on her forehead.

“Yeah. I guess I was sleep walking... having some kind of a nightmare, or something.”

She cautiously took me into her arms, pulling me from Dan's grasp. “It's been a long night. Come on.”

They both helped me back to my room, and Bren tucked me in bed like I was a little kid. My heart rate had slowed which was good.

“Try and get some rest. We'll speak some more in the morning.”

I nodded as gave her a small smile. Daniel shut the door behind her and sat on the edge of the bed. “You saw him?”

“Yeah, I was looking in the mirror and he just... appeared behind me. Like magic.”

“Uh-huh.” was all he said.

I could tell he was thinking. There was something he wasn't telling me. Did he know who did this to me? Did someone have a grudge against him and he was keeping it from me?

“What is it that you're not telling me, Dan?”

“Nothing. You need to sleep.” he climb into bed with me and carefully snugged closer. He kissed my unbruised cheek.

“Tell me Daniel.”

“Just a thought, nothing you need to be worried about. Okay?”

God I hated when he said things like that. I wasn't helpless, I had proven I was a survivor before.

But I had no energy to argue so all I muttered was “Uh-huh.” and tried not to shake as I thought about the mad laughter of the vampire in my mirror.

~

“Darling,” Dan whispered in my ear in the early hours of the morning. It was just after dawn. “I'm getting ready to go.”

“Okay. Be safe please.” I turned over and I wished I hadn't. Everything hurt.

“Can I change your mind about the blood?”

I sighed. As tempting as it was, I was a big girl, I could handle this on my own. I didn't want to have to take his blood every time I was hurt. I still had traces of his blood in my system anyway so I knew things would be feeling even worse without it. I shook my head.

“Alright. Your pills,” his voice twisted around that word, “are on the nightstand.” he kissed my forehead. “Try not to get into anymore trouble today.”

“I can't promise you that.”

He chuckled then was gone, out on the hunt for the vampire who in his words 'Disrespected him deeply'. I wasn't sure how the hierarchy of the vampire world went but I knew Dan was respected and word about this would spread. He told me once that it was known that I was his and that I was not to be touched or bothered in anyway. I wasn't sure if that was true or if he was just trying to make me feel safer around his kin.

But I smiled at his protective, if sometimes possessive, nature. I didn't handle possessiveness very well but I knew Daniel was going to be Daniel. And he was old, more three hundred years old actually, and his view of woman was a bit skewed. But he knew I could handle myself well, I was tough.

I slowly sat up and took my pills. They weren't as strong as the ones at the hospital but they would have to do. I could hear Bren was up so I went to her room.

“Hey. You're up. How do you feel?”

“So-so.” I slumped down on her bed as she pulled out the outfit she was going to wear to work today. She asked about my nightmare but I only gave her a vague answer.

“Do you want me to stay?”

I started to shake my head but thought better of it. “No. I'll be fine.”

“Really Ve. That creep could have killed you.”

“Well, I'm still here,” I gave her a smile or tried to, “And one of us has got to go to work. I can't return until next week.”

She thought that over. “Go back to bed. I'll make you some breakfast, something light.”

I told her that was okay but she insisted. So I climbed back in bed after removing the gauze on my neck, it didn't look any better than it had hours ago. I shivered as I thought about that vampires face in the mirror. It had felt so real. Like he was actually behind me.

Bren had a hot bowl of oatmeal with real banana slices she had added, and a glass of orange juice for me. I smiled and dug in. I hadn't realized how hungry I was until I had finished nearly the entire bowl. Bren was dressed and ready to go and kiss me goodbye before heading out the door. She promised to check up on me later.

After an involuntary nap I went downstairs. It was eight now and the house was too quiet, it felt strange. I hated this feeling of vulnerability that was coming over me. I looked outside and saw my truck in the driveway. Daniel had gotten one of his vampire friends, if that was the right word to use, to bring my baby home last night, which was considerably nice.

I sat down at the kitchen table and touched my neck. Maybe a little of Dan's blood wouldn't be too bad, at least I wouldn't need to see the reminder of what had happened to me every time I looked in the mirror. It would heal me up nicely, with barely any visible marks but I wasn't sure if I was ready for it.

Of course that thought made me think of the attack last night. I wouldn't live in fear, even if some psychopathic vampire was out to get me. But that freak had bitten me on the left, the side Dan favored, that pissed me off and I think it Dan wasn't too happy about it either.

I wasn't sure if I wanted Dan to bite me again for a good long while. I actually didn't mind him taking my blood but now the idea of it gave me a mix bag of feelings: pleasure, happiness, pain, terror. I knew the good ones were Dan, the others... I shuddered again
I had nothing to do and no one to call. Everyone was at work and Daniel was off on his vendetta. No need to sit around feeling sorry for yourself, I thought, and went back upstairs to get dressed. Maybe I could go for a drive. Yeah that sounded good.

By the time I got ready, pulling my thick dark hair down on the left to cover my stitches, it was after twelve pm. I wore dark glasses to hide my swollen blacken eye. As I was limping down the stairs the doorbell rang. I froze. Who could that be?

As best as I could I crept down the stairs, I took off my shades as to see better, my pocket knife in hand. I wished I had my stake. I kept reminding myself that a vampire can't cross a threshold they weren't invited into. And I reminded myself not to make eyes contact or I stood the risk of being compelled. I reached the door and the bell rung again.

“T?” Aaron's familiar voice said and I pulled the door open.

Aaron was one of my best friends. In high school he and I dated before I went out with Jayson. He was tall dark and handsome and loyal. Any girl would be lucky to have him.

“You look like shit.” he said as he took in my black eye and stitches.

“Nice to see you, too.”

He grinned then turned serious as he came in. “You just can't stay out of trouble, can ya?”

I gave him a dark look. “I didn't go looking for it, it found me.”

“All the same.” he shook his head. “Vampires.” he said it with disgust.

Aaron was the only other person in my life that knew what Daniel was. When Daniel had come to save me from Jayson and Stephanie last spring, Aaron came with him. Dan wasn't happy and had revealed his true self in order to help me. Aaron didn't talk about it much. He and Dan had never really seen eye to eye before that, neither trusted the other, but now they at least tolerate one another.

But Aaron was still worried about my safety. I guess I would be too if I were him and I found out my friend was dating someone who wasn't even human and capable of losing control. A killer, a predator, a monster, as Daniel described himself.

“It was one vampire.” I explained.

“All it takes is one. They're all the same.”

“Please don't lecture me again. I'm not in the mood.”

He backed off. “Alright.”

“How did you know something happen to me?”

“Cass told me.”

God, I hadn't even called my best friend. I wasn't even sure where my phone was. Cass was going to kill me. I'm sure either aunt Bren or our co-workers, since we worked together, had filled her in on last night.

“Was she freaking out?”

“Surprisingly no. At least not at that moment.”

“Why aren't you at work?”

“I'm on my lunch break.”

“And you came all this way to see me? Aren't you sweet.” I playfully punched his arm, which hurt me more than it did him.

“Well, you weren't answering the phone.” he frowned. “Shouldn't you be in bed?”

“I felt too restless there. I need some fresh air.”

“You have a concussion.”

“I've had one before. I'm fine.”

He narrowed is eyes. “Vamp blood?”

“Not that it's any of your business but no. No vamp blood.” At least not in the pass week or so.

“You're in pain then.”

“It only looks bad.”

He moved my hair back and turned my head to have a better look at my neck. He sucked in a breath and I tried not to let my pain show. “Sure. Whatever you say. Where are you headed?”

I shrugged. “Dunno. Maybe I'll go get some lunch.”

“Mind if I come with?”

“Not at all.”

We got into our vehicles and Aaron followed me to a place called Angus's, which was on the waterfront near the river. Dan had taken my there on a date months back and I liked it here. But maybe it was bad choice since the place was a usual vampire hangout. As soon as we walked in I felt the tension. Aaron did too.

“Maybe we should get out stuff to go.” he whispered.

“Good idea.” We went to the counter and ordered burgers and fries.

“Damn.” someone said beside me.

I jumped and turned to see Carlos next to me. A handsome vampire of two hundred plus years, Daniel's friend and right hand man. He sometimes creeped me out. I was a bit surprised to see him out and about and not on the hunt with Dan.

“Just damn. He did a number on you.”

“A simple 'hello' would suffice.” I told him as he looked over my face. I pulled my hair closer to my neck. God, if Carlos knew about last night, who else did?

“Whatever.” he said and rolled his dark eyes.

Aaron was watching the vampire with narrowed eye, his hand was on my back protectively. Neither really acknowledged the other. Aaron had figured out what Carlos as months back and he hated him because of it.

“I hope Daniel knows you're out with him.” The vampire said, “He'll be pissed.”

“I'm a big girl.”

He laughed condescendingly. “Sure. Right.” after a pause he asked, “How's Cassie?”

I could feel Aaron tense beside me. Carlos has a bit of a thing for my best friend. Something that I disapproved of, I knew how dangerous he was.

“She miss me?” he added with a devilish grin.

“She's fine.”

“Mm-hmm. That she is.”

Aaron's hand on my back balled into a fist.

With one last look at Aaron Carlos muttered. “Take care of yourself, sweetie.” then he left and went to flirt with one of the waitresses.

“Well, isn't he a charmer.” Aaron muttered sarcastically. The noise of the other patrons might have masked that remark from Carlos, or maybe not.

“Relax, would ya. You know anger around him isn't good.”

He flexed his fingers. “Oh, I'm relaxed. I'm good.”

I smiled in spite of myself and soon enough we got out food and left. We drove over to one of the parks across town and ate our burgers and talked. Over the past few months most of what Aaron and I talked about mainly avoided the topic of vampires but since my attack yesterday he seemed intent on drilling me on them.

“And you're sure you never saw him before?”

“Yeah, I'm sure.”

“Maybe you were compelled.”

“Why would he compel me not to remember having see him before when he could just make me forget the whole damn thing.” He seemed to be thinking that one over. I took the opportunity to change the subject. “So.” I said, “How was your date the other night?”

He scowled and that was answer enough. He had been trying to get back in the dating scene but so far he hadn't had much luck. I think he was being too picky. We both grew silent and watched the ducks on the lake.

“I worry about you.” he admitted.

“You and everyone else.”

“With good reason.”

I huffed out a breath.

“Seriously, T. None of this shit started until he came along.”

He saved my life the night Jayson shot me.” I said defensively. “If your friend hadn't been a nut and trying to kill me Daniel wouldn't have met me. So you can't blame him for the chain of events that followed.”

“All right. All right.” he put his hands up in surrender. “Fine. Let's drop it.”

“Fine by me.”

I didn't like arguing with Aaron, but he was asking for it. Soon we parted. Aaron went back to work and I drove home. As I reached the front door a sudden chill swept over me. I froze, key in hand, fear in my mind. I slowly turned and stared out at the woods that surround our property. The autumn wind was swaying the trees and the sun slid behind the clouds. Something didn't feel right.

I quickly slipped my key into the lock and hurried inside. Once the door shut that uneasy feeling melted away. Then there was a knock at the door.

“Miss Victouria?” the person on the other end spoke. I didn't recognize the voice. “Ma'am, it's William.”

William? It took me a moment to remember, but William was the vampire Daniel had watch over my house last spring when Jayson was hellbent on ending my existence. I cracked the door open and focused my eyes on his chin. I had only seen the vampire once, he kept to himself and could blend in so well you might not even notice him there. His dark beard and hair stood out in sharp contrast to his very pale skin.

“Ma'am, are you all right?”

“Was that you lurking around out there?”

“Yes, ma'am.” No wonder I felt uneasy, he was hanging around in the trees. “Daniel told me to make sure the house was guarded.”

“Have you heard from him?”

“No ma'am.”

“Stop calling me 'ma'am'.”

“Sorry, ma'am, habit.”

“Right. Okay. Military?”

I could see his lips quirk up into a brief grin. “Yes, ma'am. Are you sure you're alright?”

“Yeah.”

“If you need anything, I'll be right out here.” he gestured behind him.

“For how long?

“All day. I'm here to keep you safe.”

I said nothing. Grateful that Dan hadn't left me unprotected.

He nodded and said, “Good day, ma'am.”

Then inhumanly fast I watched him disappear into the trees. I couldn't even tell you were he was, he blended in too well, weird considering he was wearing a light colored tee and dark jeans, not fatigues.

“Yeah.” I whispered, “Good day.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I didn't mean to take so long updating, my apologies. But I was sick, then my computer was down, and was feeling a little uninspired.

But I hope you like how things are going in the story. I love getting feedback, so tell me what you all are thinking. - Zowie