‹ Prequel: Bliss and Bloodlust
Status: Active! Comment, Subsribe, Recommend.

Hurts Like Heaven

Chapter Four.

I decided I would make dinner. It was more because I needed to get my mind off of things, not because I really wanted to eat. So I searched through the cabinets, and fridge, decided to make chicken. And tried not to let myself think of all the horrible thing I could do with the knife I now held in my hand.

If only I had it last night, not that it would have done much more than irritate that sadistic bastard. Which made me think. What had happened to my stake? No one mentioned finding it. That crazed vamp had threw it when I tried to retrieve it. I really wanted it back, it made me feel more secure. Maybe Dan could get me some more. I wanted a lot of them.

I stood there immobile for a moment. My tongue dragged over me chipped teeth and by split lip. My free hand came up to my neck, grazed he stitches, as I though about how I could have died.

I heard the front door creak open. Oh god. I turned, readied the knife and crept away from the counter so I wouldn't be seen.

“Tourie?” Daniel called out. “Where are you?”

I let out the breath I had been holding. It was only Dan. “In here.” I replied and lowered the knife.

Daniel's beautiful face came into view and I relaxed. “I brought food.” he said with a smile. A forced one.

“What's happened?” I asked as he came into the kitchen. Something was wrong. “Daniel, what's happening?”

“Nothing. Yet, anyway.” He sat the food down and grabbed glasses from the cabinet and two plates.

“Yet?”

He looked back at me, his eyes narrowed. “Sit down, darling. You look famished.”

“I'm fine.”

He took me by the shoulders and forced me to sit. He grabbed the chicken I had been preparing to make and put it back in the fridge and grabbed a jug of orange juice.

“Daniel, what did you find out?”

“Not much.” He set everything out on the table. He had brought something Mexican. It was in a plain plastic bag, so I didn't know where it was from. “Let's eat.”

I folded my arms across my chest. “Not until you tell me something.”

“How are you feeling?” he asked softly, his eyes roaming over my bruised face. I knew how hard it was for him to see me like this.

“Stop stalling.” I didn't need him to worry about me any more than necessary.

He sat down next to me. “Alright.” he said through his teeth. “I found out his name. Alexander.”

“Do you know who he is?”

“No.”

I knew he was hiding something. I could tell by how he was behaving. He probably thought he was protecting me. But that annoyed me. This man had hurt me. I needed to know what was going on, too.

“What are you keeping from me?

His voice turned hard and cold. “He may or may not have an ax to grind with me... and a few others.”

“Others? Has someone else been hurt?”

He paused. “Eat your food.”

“Has someone else been hurt?” I repeated loudly.

“Yes. There have been others. But I'm going to find him, kill him and mount his head on my wall.” he assured me. “Now eat.”

“Not sure if I can now with that imagery.”

“Sorry. I'm just a bit...”

“On edge?”

He took a sip of his orange juice. The muscle in his jaw jumped. There were dark circles under his eyes. He still hadn't fed and it showed.

“You're not hungry?” I asked before I took a bit of my food.

“Not in the way you think.” he said seductively.

I nearly chocked. “Oh.”

He grinned, his eyes dark and lusty. I knew it was meant to be a distraction, but it still got me going nonetheless. “You sure I can't change your mind about the blood?”

I almost rolled my eyes. “We've been over this.”

“I know, I know. I just feel useless right now.”

I frowned at him. “You're not useless. You need to feed. Why haven't you fed?”

“I've been distracted.”

“That's no excuse.”

He leaned over and gave me a quick kiss, his lips cool. “You're all I'm worried about.”

“How do you know this Alexander guy has something against you? You said you didn't know him.”

“I talked to a few people. Found out a few things, but nothing you need to worry about. But, no, I've never met him.”

“So what now?”

“I continue the hunt.”

“Tonight, I assume.”

“The sooner I find this bastard, the sooner we can both rest easy. I've got guards around the house, you're safe.” I tried to smile but I just couldn't. When he saw the look of despair on my face, Daniel said, “I'm going to make this right. Alright, darling?”

I nodded. “So how do you plan on finding him?”

“I have a lead.” and that was all I could get out of him. I ate a bit more, urged him to eat with me which he did by taking one bite of food. Soon, very soon it was time for him to head off.

“Be safe.” I told him.

“I know what I'm doing.”

“Uh-huh. I know. Keep me posted, alright.”

“Yes, darling.” He gulped his juice down, stood and said, “This will all be over soon. I promise.” I nodded, my eyes to the floor. “I'm sorry I can't stay longer, but you know I can't rest until that bastard is dealt with.”

I stood up and wrapped my arms around him. “I know.”

His lips touched mine, his eyes were shut tight and he shuttered when I touched his cheek.

“You smell delicious by the way.” he whispered and then he was gone. I sighed when I heard the door close.

~

It was nearly seven when Cass rushed over after work. She was shocked at how bad I looked but for once didn't really make a comment. I knew how hard it was for her to bite her tongue. She made me hot chocolate despite the temperature outside. It was a great comfort to me, more than even she realized.

“And just where is your loving boyfriend?” She asked as she stroked my hair while I rested my tired head on her lap.

“The world doesn't stop spinning just because I've been hurt.”

“Still.”

“He came back in town last night and had business to attend to. He was here before you came. I told him I would be fine.”

“And he listened to you?”

“Yes. I can be pretty persuasive.”

She chuckled then turned serious as she looked down at me. “What actually happened last night?”

With a rather long pause, I was trying to make sure my voice wouldn't shake, I gave my bestie the run down on the events. Well, minus the part about the man who attacked me being a supernatural being, she didn't know they existed, or that I thought I saw him in my mirror. No need for her to think I was loosing it, Aunt Bren was bad enough.

“So the police are on this, right? I mean, there is some psychopath with a biting fetish on the lose.”

I told her yes, in fact Detective Fords stopped by this afternoon, I told him the same thing I had last night, but of course that didn't seem to satisfy him. I don't think anything would.

“I hope they find him.” Cass said as I slowly sat up. “I'm gonna kick his ass from here 'till Kingdom Come once they do.”

I snorted out a laugh. “You and Dan both.”

“I knew there was something I liked about him.” I smiled, “You know what? This sounds sort of vampiric to me, you know.”she said with a chuckle.

I chuckled nervously at her words. How right she was.

I wanted to tell Cass so many times what Dan was, and now more than ever I wished she knew about that world that exists right under her nose. But I couldn't. It wasn't my secret to reveal.

“When will they let you come back to work?”

I shrugged. “Chris told me to take the rest of the week off so I'm not sure. Hopefully I won't die before then.”

She laughed, “That's the spirit.”

“How did the hallway look?”

She grimaced for a moment, looking away, then said, “They cleaned it up really good, the smell of bleach was thick when I came in this morning. But...” she trailed off.

“You can still see some blood?” I guessed.

“Not really. No.”

A lie. Great, there was a little reminder of last night there for all to see.

“Really, Tor. It's just that everyone's a bit spooked out.” she admitted. “They've added extra security and told us to walk in groups of twos and threes and to look out for anyone or anything that's suspicious.”

Jesus, they were terrified. All because of me. My heart sunk.

“Hey.” Cass said placing a gentle hand on my shoulder, “Don't look like that. It wasn't your fault.”

“Yeah. Sure.” I said unconvincingly, then put my head in my hands.

Cass patted my back softly. “Things are going to be okay.”

“You think so?” I said as I sat up straight again.

“Yes.”

“Thanks.”

“What are friends for, eh?” I walked her to the door when she was ready to leave about an hour later. “Get some rest, okay.” she said to me.

“I will.”

“And tell your boyfriend I said to get his ass over here.”

“Yes, Cass.” She hugged me tight and I watched her leave.

I stared out to the woods, knowing the vampires were there just out of my sight, keeping me safe. I shut the door and tried not to think about them lurking out there, watching everything. It should make me feel safe, but it only made me feel strange. I couldn't explain it.

Aunt Bren came home with Phil who was going to spend the night. I pulled myself together as quickly as I could, trying not to let any of my pain and sadness show on my face. I failed.
“How are you feeling?” My aunt asked.

“Okay, I guess.”

She didn't believe me. I'm not sure if I believed myself.

~

”Well don't you look lovely.” a voice said from behind me.

I opened my eyes to find myself in a huge dinning room. I was seated at the end of a long table in a high back upholstered chair. The room reminded me of something out of a castle. There were two giant windows to my left. As high as the ceiling, with lush maroon curtains hanging down, but parted so I could see outside, the dim daylight shone through, but I couldn't make out the landscape. The walls were covered in pale wallpaper, something from the seventh or eighteenth century. There were portraits all around. Women and men in fancy, if very dated, garb, sitting in stiff positions with straight smile-free faces.

I looked down at myself and saw that I was in a plum colored, long sleeved silk dress that felt delicious against my skin. With gold bangles on both of my wrist.

A hand brushed my cheek and I turned to see a dark haired man, dressed in a dark suit, a smile on his face, with dark intelligent eyes. He look familiar.

“I know you,” I whispered, frowning as I tried to place his face.

He chuckled, his voice low and as warm as honey. “Mm-hmm. Is that so?”

“I just can't figure out where from.” I said, confused.
The man tilted my chin up with his fingers and bent down, his lips close to mine. “Don't worry your pretty little head about it, love.” He then walked to the other end of the table, sat and snapped his fingers.

Two servants dressed in all black, walked in from the doors behind me, carrying platters of food which they sat down in front of us. Red wine was poured in gold goblets before leaving.

“Eat, love. Enjoy. Have the wine. You must have the wine.” He picked up his goblet and sipped, watching me.

I did the same. He was right, the wine was amazing. “Where am I?”

“My manor.”

“And just who are you?”

He didn't answer, just laughed a little and sipped more wine. Something about this wasn't right. Something was nagging in my head.

“Why am I here?”

“You're my guest.”

“Okay.... but why?”

“Victouria, you're food's getting cold.” His eyes locked on mine. “Eat.”

Then without missing a beat I picked up the fork on my left and the knife on my right and sliced into the roast beef on my plate. Placing the tip of the fork to my mouth, the mystery man watched me eagerly. The food was mouthwatering, I must say.

After seeing that I enjoying my meal, he too ate. Minutes passed in which we spoke not a word.

“Who are you?” I asked again.

“Whomever you will me to be.” Suddenly his face morphed and Daniel was seated across from me. “Does this suit you better?”

I was shocked. “H-how did you do that?”

“My secret.” he spoke but in his own voice, then my boyfriends face turned into Jayson's. I was flooded with sudden panic, my body pleading with me to flea, before he turned once again back into the mystery man. “There's something I want you to do for me, Victoria.” he said before I could even digest what had just happened.

I gulped. I didn't like the sound of that. “And what's that?”

“Deliver a message.”

“A message to whom?”

A quick, cold grin curved his lips. “Daniel.”

Then it clicked and my heart nearly jumped out of my chest. The dark eyes of the vampire who attacked me turned cold as they watched the recognition dawn on my face. He wasn't pleased.
Alexander.

I needed to get out of here.

“No use in struggling you're trapped.”

Oh god, he was right. I couldn't move. It was like stuck to my seat. My body wasn't listening to the commands my mind gave. Move! I shouted in my own head. Move, goddamn it!

Useless.

Then suddenly all around me the room was changing. The faces of the people in the paintings had turned dark, menacing and ugly. Their eyes bulged, their skin peeled. The wallpaper was melting, slowly sliding down the walls like ice cream. The windows grew dark, like a heavy fog had descended outside. And the man across from me smiled like a wolf. Or make that a vampire. A cold shiver slide down my back. I'm hallucinating, that's it.

“You're stronger that I thought, Miss Mulligan. But here's what I want you to tell your lover. Tell him two words, Lancaster and Foster. He'll understand.”

“What are you hoping to gain from this?”

“You just tell him those words, love.”

“So he can find you and chop off your head.”

He laughed but it was devoid of any humor. “He's making a slow job of it, if you ask me. Why don't you eat some more, love.”

At those words I involuntarily looked down. And gagged.

The food, if it could be called that now, on my place was now rotten, molded green and black and indistinguishable. Save for the fish head and bones that stood out. It was disgusting. I wanted to throw up. It smelled rancid. Had I eaten that?

Alexander was still watching me with dark cold eyes, much darker that they had been minutes before. He was vamping out.

“Let me go.”

“Why would I do that?”

“I'll deliver your stupid message, just let me go.” after a pause something dawned on me. “Did you poison me?”

He ignored the question but without taking his eyes from my face, he picked up his fork and something very thick and very bloody from his plate. I shut my eyes. I couldn't take this.

“I know what you're thinking.” he said between bites. “You want to kill me. Stab me with a stake and watch me rot. No wonder Daniel likes you. You've killed before.” How did he know that? “It's in your eyes. There's a darkness that comes from taking another life. I've killed hundreds. So I would know. ”

He stood and placed the napkin he had just used to wipe his mouth down carefully on the table. “You'll kill again. You may think you're above it. But it's addictive. Like blood. Ask your lover, he'll tell you. And they're nothing like revenge killing. It's quite heavenly, isn't it?”

I struggled in my seat, trying to rid myself of the invisible chains that bound me in place. “You don't know shit.” I snarled.

“But I do.” He took a tiny step closer. “Oh, love,” he said patronizingly. “you're bleeding.”

I looked down and saw that he was right. There was blood running from my neck onto my dress. And my wrist were running red as well. There were deep cuts there.

And I had a knife in my right hand.

Had I cut myself? When had that happened? Why had I cut myself?

The knife fell from my limp hand and clattered to the floor loudly. I placed a shaky hand to my neck, able to move at least that part of myself now, to stop the bleeding but it did little good.

Alexander the vampire smiled. His fangs extended and he laughed loudly. “What a pity. I rather liked that dress.”

Then he was next to me. Licking the blood from my wrist. His tongue was cold. My vision blurred and tiny dots appeared behind my eyes.

“Don't worry.” he said, his mouth wet with my blood, his eyes as black as night. “You won't feel a thing.”


~

I woke suddenly and found myself in bed. A scream caught in my throat, wanting to break free. I was sobbing. And I felt terrified. My body was wet with sweat but I was freezing cold. Something told me I had been bleeding. I felt my wrist and my neck, but felt nothing. A dream, it had all been a dream. A horrible nightmare.

I tried to remember what it had been about but like many dreams it slipped away from me. I just remember feeling cold and enslaved. And blood and rotting food.

I lied there in the dark, the cold feeling ebbed away and I relaxed. “Just a dream.” I muttered and let sleep find me again. When I woke again I felt refreshed. No more dreams... or at least none I can remember. I stretched my limbs and felt... nothing. No soreness, no pain. What the hell? I sat up in bed and looked all around me. My eyes were clear. Very clear.

“Damn it, Daniel.” I muttered and climbed out of bed. In the mirror I could see nothing but my stitches, cut no mark. It had simple vanished. No bruises, no cuts, no anything. Even my chipped teeth were fixed. How 'bout that. My stitches we still intact, but useless now.

Had he come in sometime in the night and gave me some blood? And then compelled me not to remember? Dan and I had a strict no compelling rule. I don't think he would have stooped that low just to give me some blood, especially when I stated very clearly that I wanted none. Not when there was trust on the line.

I picked up my phone and dialed his number. It went straight to voice-mail. “We need to talk.” I said shortly before hanging up.

I wanted to be mad, and don't get me wrong I was, but I felt amazing. Brand new. I huffed out a sigh and got dressed. While doing my makeup two words popped in to my head. Lancaster and Foster. But I couldn't understand why. I felt like I was missing something, something vital. I glanced down at my wrist. Something important.