‹ Prequel: Bliss and Bloodlust
Status: Active! Comment, Subsribe, Recommend.

Hurts Like Heaven

Chapter Six.

“Lancaster and Foster. Explain.” I said after a minute or two in the car.

“It's not important to what's going on.”

“Clearly it is, or you wouldn't have reacted the way you did. You said things had changed.”

He gave me a sideways glance, a hint of guilt flashed in his blue eyes. “He wants to get under my skin. Alexander. This is all a game to him. Tell me everything you know, Tourie.”

“I don't remember anything specific. Just images, flashing by too quickly of me to catch.” I explained. “Like a dream I seemed to have forgotten. You asked me about dreams. Why?”

He said nothing for a long minute. I was going to push for an answer but he was still edging towards vamping out, so I left it alone. For now. We were nearly to my house.

“I need you to stay inside this weekend. Don't let anyone in. No one.” He told me.

“Dan, what's happening?”

“If it is Alexander's blood inside of you, I don't know what might happen.”

“But you said noth-”

“-I don't know how much you've consumed.” he continued as if he hadn't heard me, “And I know he won't have any problems with using your friends to hurt you.”

“Meaning?”

“He could compel them to hurt you. You would have no problem with inviting Cassie in. Or Aaron. He knows you won't grant him an invitation, so he'll sink to low levels. No shame for him.”

This was not good. I shivered. “What about Bren?”

His brow furrowed. “I'll figure something out.”

“Meaning?”

“I'll tell her to stay at Phil's for the weekend.”

I made a disgusted face. “You mean compel her? Dan, you can't.”

“What choice do I have?” His voice was cold and hard. “I'm doing this to keep you safe.”

Silence filled the car. I hated this. I hated it all. I was going to have to be a prisoner in my own home. Until when? What if Daniel couldn't find or stop this Alexander guy? What it he found another way to attack me? What then?

“This is madness.” I muttered to myself.

“Agreed.”

We pulled up to my house and Dan's frown deepened. There was a silver Sedan in the driveway. I knew the car. It took me a minute to remember who it belonged to, and when I did I groaned.

“Who is it?” Dan asked, inching closer to the car. He was tense, like a snake in attack mode.

“Trouble.” I said softly. His face grew hard. “I mean, trouble of the human variety.” I clarified.

He nodded, but didn't relax. “Where the fuck is William?” He muttered, almost too low for me to catch.

He moved the truck up the drive, closer to the house, then we both got out. A short moment later so did the woman on the drivers side of the Sedan.

Her pink blouse and white linen capri pants were in sharp contrast with her dark hair and features. She was stout, round and her perfectly straight white teeth shone in the shining sun as she smiled brightly at us. I fought back my snarl. I really didn't have time for this. Not right now.

“Victouria.” the older woman said in greeting, as she waited for us to get closer.

She had a cake container, a plastic one with a little handle, in one hand and a expensive handbag that perfectly matched her blouse on her arm.

“Deloris.” I said to her without feeling. “What are you doing here?”

Her eyes were on Daniel as she spoke. “I heard about your little... accident. I'm sorry to hear that you were hurt. So I wanted to check on you. Make sure you were okay. And I must say. You don't really look bad. Whatever makeup your wearing is dong wonders.” False flattery. I guess it was better than her backhanded compliments. “I brought you a cake.” She held the container out to me.

“Thanks.” I said, unsure. I didn't take the cake. It might have been poisoned for all I knew. “You needn't come all this way. I'm doing better.”

“Aren't you going to introduce me?” Um... No. “Hello,” she said, sticking her free hand out to the man she didn't know was a vampire. “I'm Deloris Walters. Jayson's mother.”

Yup. She was the woman who gave birth to the monster who tried unsuccessfully to kill me several times. She really couldn't stand me to begin with. But now she hated me even more. She blame me for his mysterious disappearance, even though she had no proof I had anything to do with it. She made a vow to continue to look for her son, and find out the truth. Some mothers just didn't know when to quit.

Daniel politely took her hand, his face a mask. He had positioned himself between the woman and me. “Daniel.” He didn't offer a last name and Deloris frowned.

“You must be her new boyfriend. I heard about you.”

“Is that right?” Oh boy.

“Be careful with this one. She can't seem to keep them for very long.” she laughed and I wanted to slap her.

“Well, it was nice chatting with you Deloris. But I'm tired.” I said shortly. Code for: Get off of my property. “I've got to get some rest. It's been a long week.”

I brushed past her, but she was on my heels. I took Daniels hand to prevent him from lashing out at the woman. I could feel him itching to hurt her.

“I hope your little attack wasn't karma's way of maintaining the balance.”

I tried to be civil. I really did. But my anger got the better of me. And it was just what she wanted. Daniel stiffened besides me as I turned to face the woman.

“I don't know what happened to your son, lady. And I would appreciate it if you would back off. All right. I've got enough to deal with right now.”

She put her hands up in surrender. Well, she still had her purse and the cake in hands, but the effect was the same.

“I'm sorry. I was out of line.” She didn't sound sorry. She thrust the cake in Dan's hands. “Here. Enjoy. I'll be on my way. I hope you have a speedy, uh, recovery.” Then she was waddling back to her car, and with a pleasant but fake wave, she backed out of the driveway.

I leaned against the front door. “That had been interesting.” Dan said with a hint of anger. He visibly relaxed once the car was out of sight.

“What a bitch.” I blew my hair out of my face and opened the door. “You can have it if you want.” I said, gesturing at the cake.

He made a face. “No, thank you.” He sat it down outside, with a promise to throw it away

“So she still thinks you know more than you're letting on.”

“She's grasping at straws.” I said as I rubbed my neck.

“Right.” he said tightly, watching me closely.

Daniel, because he was on the verge of vamping out again, searched the house, just to be on the safe side, even though he knew no one was there. Also he needed to expel some of his energy. After making a phone call, he met me in the kitchen, went to the fridge and grabbed the orange juice.

“What now?” I asked.

“You stay here.”

“Like a prisoner?”

“Do you want this to be over or not?”

I exhaled loudly, and crossed my arms over my chest. “What are you going to do?”

“I'm still on the hunt.”

“What makes you think he's still in town?”

“He is. He's trying to make a point. He won't leave yet. He only just started.”

I didn't like the sound of that.

“Plus I need to find out who at Angus' is working for that bastard. Someone spiked your food. I can't let that go. And about your aunt. Convince her to spend the weekend with her lover. That way your moral conscience will be clean.”

I made a face at him.

“Like it or not, sometimes it's necessary. The compulsion that is.”

He drank his glass, refilled it and downed it quickly. With a kiss on the cheek he stood.

“I'll be back tonight. Promise me you won't go looking for trouble.”

“I never do.” He smirked. “Wait. Your car isn't here.”

“I know.” He jiggled my car keys. I hadn't even seen him pick them up. Vampires. He pulled his aviators out of his front pocket, and slipped then on in one fluid motion. “I'll bring it back. Lock up and stay safe.” Then I was watching him speed off in my baby. I hated him sometimes. But he did get rid of that cake for me, I couldn't be to mad.

~

Convincing Bren to not stay home for the weekend was easier than I thought it ought to be. If I hadn't know any better I would have sworn that Daniel had gotten to her first. She said that Phil had made plans for them to get away this weekend. Nothing too fancy, a Bed and Breakfast out of town. They would only be a few hours away. She had packed quickly once she got home late that afternoon, excited.

“You sure you gonna be okay?” She asked me as she placed her bag by the door. Phil was on his way over to pick her up.

“Yeah. I'm gonna stay in, get some rest.” She arched an eyebrow in suspicion. She had already been asking some questions about how I was looking so much better. I didn't need her to pry any further. “What? For real. That's the plan. Dan'll be over.”

“Alright. He better.”

A half hour later Phil pulled up. Bren and I hugged. “Be careful.” I told her. My fear that something was going to happen to her while they were on their way to the B and B rose a little.

She frowned a little at me. The worry must be written on my face. “You sure you okay? Because I can stay.”

“No. I'm fine. Go.” I rushed out. With a wave to Phil, I pushed her out the door. “Have fun.” I called out as they drove off. Once they were gone, my fear rose even higher. What if Alexander got to them? What if he had compelled Phil to take Bren away?

This is why you shouldn't let your mind over think things. I couldn't sit around thinking that everyone was out to get me and mine. I had to have faith that things would be alright. I had to. Otherwise I would go insane. Despite my best efforts I started to get anxious. Dan had warned me not to let anyone come over. But being here alone wasn't good. So I called Cass.

I knew she was just getting off, so her phone would be on. She answered on the third ring. “Tourie. What's up, chica?”

My heart stopped pounding once I heard her voice. She didn't sound off. I had a fear that she might be hurt, or compelled. But she sounded fine.

“Nothing. I was just checking on you.”

“You're checking on me?” she laughed a little. “Shouldn't it be the other way round?”

“Yeah. Well.”

“Hey. I was thinking of coming over. We could order pizza or something. A girls night.” She suddenly sounded a bit worried. I hated for anyone to worry about me. Maybe she had been compelled. Then I remembered my little venture to work earlier.

“Who told you?”

A pause. “Lisa.” she said, sounding guilty. “Look, she meant well. She said you look a little... ”

“Crazy.”

“I was going to say distracted. But sure, crazy works.”

I shook my head. “So, who else did she tell?”

“Just me. You're my best friend. She wanted to make sure you were okay. She said she didn't know what to say to you.”

“That's understandable.”

“You could have died. And she said that you looked better. No swelling, no bruises. What gives?”

“Great makeup tricks.” She laughed. “I'll tell you all about it one day.”

“More secrets huh? So, where's Mr. Wonderful?”

“He was here a while ago. He'll be back. Some business to attend to.”

“Yeah. Sure.”

“He's a busy man.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. So are we on for tonight?”

Dan's words rang in my head. I wanted Cassie to come over, but the last thing I wanted to do was put her in any danger.

“Dan's coming back tonight. I don't think you'll want to have a girls night with him.”

“Yeah. He'd cramp our style. Alright. Maybe tomorrow night, then.”

“Yeah. Maybe. Hey, have you talked to Aaron?”

“Not since yesterday. He's been working overtime.”

“Right.”

We talked a little longer. I promised I would call her if I needed anything. We hung up and I left Aaron a message on his voice mail, telling him to call me asap. Then I just sat there alone in my house with too many thoughts occupying my mind. I really hoped Dan would be back soon.

~

A hand slithered along my thigh and hip as I lied on my side. I stretched like a cat, feeling tired, and not wanting to get up from the soft thing I was lying on. I let out a content sigh before opening my eyes, shocked at what I saw.

I was in an unfamiliar room, Victorian in style, lying on a chaise lounge, completely naked, only a velvety sheet covering my lower half. In front of me, knelling, was Alexander.

He had a devilish smirk on his face, his hand moving tantalizingly slow up my body, leaving a cold touch wherever his fingers landed on my skin. He cupped one of my breast roughly in his cool hand. “Miss me?”

“No.” I breathed, my voice harsh as if I hadn't drank a drop of liquid in days.

He pinched my nipple before letting me go and stood. It took me a minute to pick up on the scent of blood in the room. And another to realize I had blood on my hands. And there was some on the floor.

“What's going on?”

“So, you delivered my message to your lover.” he said instead of answering, “Good girl. I knew you could one way or the other.” He put his hands behind his back as he walked further away from me.

The long forgotten dream returned to my memory. My stomach lurched. I wanted to cover myself up but I couldn't get my hands to work right now. Not again. I sent the command to my brain but my body wasn't responding. I felt exposed.

“You're in my mind.” I rasped out, alarmed.

“Yes, I am.” His back was to me, but I was sure he was smiling.

“I'm dreaming. I'm only dreaming.”

“Yes. You are. I must say that you're defenses seem to be down. You don't fight the dreams nearly as much as I expected. Last time you were rather feisty.”

“What do you want with me?”

He turned around to face me. “I just want to spend a little quality time with you, sweetheart, is all.” He walked back over to me. “I don't have nearly as many play things as I used to. And you are simply fun to fuck with.”

I felt my fear of this man growing. I knew what he could do to me. Even if it was just a dream, I was scared shitless. I hated myself for it. Vampires could smell fear.

He knelled down in front of me again. His fingers gliding over my neck, where he had bit me. I shuddered and tried to move out of his reach to no avail. He licked his lips, his fangs showing, pupils dilating little by little. He was getting aroused.

“It's so easy to scare you. God, I love it.” He said low, almost purring.

He bent his head down until his mouth was by my breast, but his eyes never left mine. I knew it was wrong to look a vampire in the eyes, but I just couldn't stop myself.

“Daniel knows more than he's letting on. He isn't the man you think he is. He's got a list of secrets a mile long.” His tongue lashed out and touched my skin. “But you've already suspected that, haven't you?” Another lick.

I didn't want him to touch me in any way shape or form. But there was little I could do about it. He smiled, eyes completely dark and cold. He pushed me until I was on my back. Then he climbed on top of me, tossing the velvet sheet to the floor.

“Are you going to bite me again?” My voice quivered with fear.

He laughed, cold, dark, inhuman laughter. “No. I'm gonna ravage your body. And you're going to enjoy every second of it.” Then he was between my legs, a hand tightly around my throat, cool lips on mine. “I'm going to fuck you like an animal, Victouria Mulligan.” He said seductively as he entered me.

I screamed, or rather intended to. No sound came out. I tried to fight but nothing worked, not my hands, nor my legs. I was immobile. His hand tightened, and I was gasping for air. He thrust harder, and harder. I couldn't fight back. His hand released me, but I still was unable to move. I was in pain. So much pain.

"Pain is pleasure." He said, reading my thought. "So much pleasure."

He looked down at me the whole time, fangs long, eyes like a starless night. He was enjoying himself. It showed. I have no clue how long it went on. I shut my eyes, willing myself to wake. Telling myself that this wasn't real. None of this was really happening to me. But my body told me something different. Tears filled my eyes. Not just from fear, but from rage.

“Get. Out. Of. My. Head.” I snarled.

He only laughed and increased his pace. Vampire fast. I felt myself beginning to bleed. He sank his nails into my ribs. Blood began seeping out. He then rakes his nails all over my skin. They felt like claws, sharp and I sucked in my breath every time.

I struggled against him, and it took me a moment to realized that I could move my arms. I pushed him away. He did move, but he was surprised that I had moved at all. His face contorted into something ugly, and monster-like.

“No, you little bitch.” he yelled and slammed me back down. I rolled away and we tumbled to the floor.

Move! I yelled at myself, Get off the floor. I began to crawl, but got no where. He yanked me back by my hair and pinned me yo the floor on my stomach.

“Fighting back, eh.” I yelped and tried to get out of his grasp. “No, no.”

He flipped me over and was once again inside of my. When I tried to push him again my arms wouldn't work. Nor did my legs. Shit.

“Get off of me!” I exclaimed.

He pushed harder, his raking at my skin again. “Come with me, Victouria! Come!” He cried out, trying to catch my eye, but I refused to look now. I shut my eyes. Trying to shut him out. This was not really happening. He was not raping me. This wasn't real.

He got angry, yelled and hit me hard in my face. I winced and my eyes flew open, but I shut them again quickly. “Disrespectful bitch,” he snarled. “Look at me.”

Then his hands were around my throat, squeezing the life out of me. I tried to gulp some air but failed. No, no, no. He squeezed harder, the sounds of his release loud as he but his mouth by my ear. I heard, more than felt, my neck snap, then...