‹ Prequel: Bliss and Bloodlust
Status: Active! Comment, Subsribe, Recommend.

Hurts Like Heaven

Chapter Eight.

Aaron was fine. Apparently he hadn't had his food laced with any blood. I breathed a sigh of relief once I had talked to him. Daniel had already confirmed it, I'm not sure how he had done that, but I needed to hear it from Aaron's own mouth.

“I'm fine, T. I promise. Trust me, you'd never hear the end of it if I had been vampified.”

“Vampi-what?”

He laughed. “Vampified. Those blood suckers aren't getting to me. Tell me your boyfriend is close to nailing this guy. He sounds like a peach.”

“He's closer, yes. He says he still in town, but believes there's someone or some group hiding him, that's why it's been so hard tracking him down. But he's on it. And he's determined.”

I had gotten that information from Daniel once morning came around, and we were both a bit more calm. I hadn't went back to sleep, I couldn't, not with Alexander lurking at the edge of my dreams.

“He'd better be. Is there anything I can do?”

“As a matter of fact you can.” I told him, “Dan thinks this vampire will stop at nothing, even resorting to using my loved ones. So he told me not to let anyone over this weekend.”

“In case someone's compelled them.”

“Yeah. So would you make sure that Cassie doesn't come over. I can't explain any of this to her. And just make sure she's herself, that no one has gotten to her. Dan said he might be using other humans as slaves, compelled to his bidding. So just make sure she stays out of harms way.” I wasn't going to tell him that someone had died. Daniel told me they found a human who had been drained, and it smelled like Alexander's work.

“Yeah. I'll do that. Keep her occupied, got it. Where's Bren?” I told him about her trip. “You think she's safe?”

“I talked to her this earlier, she seemed fine.”

“And what are you going to do?”

“I don't know. Try and figure out a way to break this blood bond thing with Alexander.”

“Good luck.”

I made a face he couldn't see over the phone. “Thanks for the confidence.”

“I wasn't being sarcastic. I meant it. I don't want anything else to happen to you, T. If you need anything else call me. I'm gonna see what Cass is doing.”

“Thank you, Aaron.”

“Anything for a friend.” I knew he meant it.

~

So the weekend was an agonizingly slow one. I spent it alone, trying to pretend things really were normal. I talked to both my aunt, and Cass by Saturday afternoon. Bren was having a great time and the Bed and Breakfast. She was still worried about me, (who wasn't?), but I told her to have fun. She and Phil were about to go hiking. I had to squash that sliver of fear inside of me. Nothing would happen to my aunt.

Aaron was taking Cassie to the movies. I told her that me and Dan were having another night in, and she completely understood, saying we needed our alone time, and I needed time to heal. When I spoke to Aaron again he told me would keep my best friend safe, and would guard her with his life.

So to keep myself occupied I did housework, watched TV, read, -I even exercised- but my mind would wonder to Alexander. I tried to think about his name as little as possible. Names have power. I was wondering what his overall plan was. If he really wanted to hurt Daniel, why not just go after Dan himself? Elaborate plots of revenge weren't always executed properly, and the more time that passed, the angrier Daniel got which only fulled his search for that bastard.

I talked to my mom that night, and surprisingly she was home. We didn't speak as much as we used to, she was a busy woman, but it was good to hear from her. She had heard about my attack, but I let her know I was fine and assured her the police were doing everything they could.

Then I called my dad and his fiance, Susan. They also knew about my bad week, (Bren had made sure all the important people knew, apparently) and I was reassuring them as well that it was no cause for alarm. So instead of discussing my injuries in detail, Susan and I talked about the upcoming wedding. It was good to think of human things like bridal showers, bachelorette parties, (although I'm not sure I wanted to see my future step-mom at a strip club) and dress shopping. I genuinely was excited about the wedding, I was just hoping I would still be around when it happened. I would hate for my parents to have to plan my funeral. If they could find my body that is.

I wiped that thought from my mind quickly. Optimism was the key.

But by the end of Saturday I was crying again. I hated being this emotional, I would rather be out finding that damned vampire, than sulking at home. That was how I would use all this spun up energy. I took a shower, trying my best not to worry about Daniel. He would be fine. I hoped. No negative thoughts, I said to myself, not doubt, or worry.

“Fuck this.” I said out loud, drying my eyes and turned on some music.

I know I maybe shouldn't have turned it up so loud. I needed to be able to hear should anyone enter unannounced. But I was in such a bad mood I needed something to lift my spirits. I put my i-Pod on shuffle and sang at the top of my lungs and danced around until I was sweating. I skipped over anything that was too sad, or slow. I needed something to keep me moving because sitting here sunk deep in my feeling wasn't doing shit for me.

Even after all that I didn't sleep too well that night, but was thankful that I had no dreams, and come Sunday I was as tired as a dog, and still worried. No calls from Daniel, and that made me uneasy. And I still had a lot to think about. Magic, witches, and blood bonds were among some of these thoughts. Daniel's past, and what he was really keeping from me weighted heavily on my mind, too. I think he knew a lot more than he was letting on. Perhaps it was because Alexander could now roam around in my head, and Dan didn't want him to know exactly what was going on. Maybe. Or Dan was just being Dan, and trying to protect me as he saw fit.

I felt like the more I thought about things that more I went around in circles, and the less I knew. I was wondering now why Dan had even told me about the massacre in Lancashire. To throw off that crazy vampire if he was somehow listening in on my thoughts, maybe. I sighed heavily. This was seriously frustrating. I grew anxious, wondering what was happening. I knew Dan would come when he figured things out, so until then I had to be patient.

I began looking things up on the internet, although I was sure that whatever I found would probably be far from truthful, I still had to see if any of it was useful. I started with magic. Of course this led me a lot of useless things. But after several different searches I found out some things about witches, and dark magic. Most of what I found out was rooted in religion, or spiritual things, but since I hadn't a clue of how magic worked in the real world, -Daniel hadn't be very forthcoming with his information- it was mostly meaningless to me. Whenever I got Daniel alone again I would pick his brain about all of this.

I was still looking up things, storing them in my mind for a later time when suddenly I really didn't want to look at this anymore. I wanted to go outside. I shut my computer down, and stood. Grabbing my keys I headed out the front door.

I wasn't sure what was odder. The fact that I didn't understand where the sudden urge to leave the house had come from. Or the fact that no one stopped me when I reached my pickup. Dan had said there were vampires guarding the house, watching from the wood. How come no one was making me head back inside? I didn't care. I got inside my truck and made my way down the road. I drove on autopilot, no real sense of direction, and yet I knew exactly where I was headed. I drove for about an hour before I reached my destination.

Ashwood Park was gorgeous this time of year. The grass was a lush shade of green from the recent rain, and the flowers were still in bloom, it was only September, and were turned up toward the sunlight. I drove through the park to the spot my mind was telling me to go. I parked my truck on the side of the road at the end of a wooden bridge by one of the small lakes that were in the park. The bridge was large enough to drive over, and there was a car approaching from the other end.

It was a little windy when I got out. I walked down the bridge until I was in the middle and watched the ducks paddle across the lake. I rested my hands on the railing, waiting, the wind blew the loose strands of my hair across my face. In my peripheral vision I could see someone walking towards me from my left.

“I'm glad you could come.” Alexander said as he was within earshot.

I turned my face toward him. His dark hair was perfectly in place, his clothing crisp and clean and professional. He looked good. He had a hand in his pocket, the picture of cool and calm. I wasn't afraid of my attacker for some reason.

“I'm not sure why I came at all.” I said, frowning. I was feeling not at all like myself, but that was okay.

“I know it's confusing, Tourie, but no need to worry.” He placed his hand on my shoulders, his eyes on my breast then my neck. He licked his lips and said, “All healed up. Good. You're far too pretty for bruises.”

I couldn't find any words to say, so I only listened. Listened as Alexander, my attacker, my friend, talked to me about Daniel.

“Your lover is a liar. A deceiver. A murderer. You know this and yet you love him.” he looked at me strangely, tilting his head as if he couldn't fathom how I could love someone like Dan. “You've never told him that you love him.”

He was right. I never had. I was a little unsure of that feeling, seeing as he last person I loved was insane.

“That doesn't matter, because he doesn't love you.” Alexander walked a little away from me, his hands behind his back. The sunlight somehow made him look even paler. “Our kind are incapable of love. It's in our nature to use until we can't use anymore. He'll drain you dry, without a thought, without remorse, and move on.”

Hearing that made something pop in my mind like a bubble. I shook my head. “Not my Daniel.” I heard myself whisper. I shook my head again to clear it. Something wasn't right. What was happening? I shouldn't be here. This was not a friend. What had I been thinking?

Alexander turned back to me, and gripped my shoulders again, forcing me to look in his eyes. Trapped. "Not your Daniel, you say? Not your precious, Daniel. He puts up a good front, all kind, and gentlemanly, but he'll kill you, mark my words, child.” he shook me as he spoke, but there was nothing I could do about it. That bubble was forming again.

“He only hurts the ones he claims to care about. His family, all dead because of him.” I knew that wasn't true. “Daniel is a predator, and menace. He only wants your blood, and I have to say, it was mighty tasty.” the shaking stopped, and Alexander was smirking. “I can see why he keeps coming back for more.” he released me again but stayed very close to me.

“I'm surprised you don't have vampires knocking down your door. But Daniel claimed you.” he said with disgust. “So I guess they can't. Not without repercussions.” he sighed. “But I digress. The point, sweet, Tourie, is that soon, very soon, your Daniel won't be a problem anymore. You'll be open season.” his smirk was wicked. “I call fist dibs.” He frowned, “Isn't that what you kids say?”

I shuddered. “What are you going to do to him?”

“You're worried about him?” he snarled then laughed. “That's cute. You really should be worried about yourself, and what I have in store for you.”

“What are you going to do to him?” I repeated, still more concerned about Dan than myself.
Alexander drew closer to me, and whispered softly in my ear. “But don't you worry your pretty little head about that, darling.”

The last word sounded odd to me. It didn't belong on his tongue. He shouldn't have said it, and he knew it once he looked at me. His mind control wasn't working as well as he had hoped. I had to get out of here.

“You're mind is growing stronger. I'm not sure whether that's good or bad. I'm having so much fun breaking you.” he said harshly. His hand gripped my bottom hard, pulling me to his body. “You'll be mine.” he kissed my lips softly, his lips cool. His other hand grabbed my hair, and I put my own on his waist. I couldn't explain why I was kissing him back. I didn't want to, and a part of my knew this was wrong, but I just couldn't help it. I had no control. He was winning.

He pulled back, ending the kiss. His face victorious. His lips had a bit of blood on it. With my fingertips I touched my own lip. How had I not felt him bite me? The inside of my bottom lip was bleeding. The coppery taste flooded my mouth.

“A little love bite.” Alexander explained, without humor. His fangs were showing, his tongue lick the blood slowly off of them. His eyes, which were already naturally dark, were wide, but he seemed to be in control. It wasn't bloodlust that was making him all fangy.

“The night we met I hadn't gotten to have you properly. But I will, love.”

I swallowed the blood down, hoping some of the fear i now felt wen t with it. “You don't want me. You're just trying to get back at Dan for some reason.” I accused.

“Yes. I am, but that doesn't mean I don't get to enjoy the spoils of war, as well.”

“This isn't war.” I spat out, my mind trying to fight off whatever it was that he was doing to me. I knew he could sense me fighting, and he tightened his grip on my body.

“Quite the contrary, love, this is war.” He looked down scornfully at me. “I'm sending you back home. You're boring me.”

“Tell me why? Why are you really doing this?”

I really wasn't expecting him to tell me a thing. He was still staring hard at me, and his fangs looked very sharp when his lips pulled back into a sadistic grin. I got a chill and thought he might bite me again.

“And I shall tell you at a later time, perhaps.”

His eyes were still locked on mine for a long moment, something switched on inside of me, and I suddenly felt tired. He chuckled, and caressed my cheek with the back of his hand. My body felt limp in his arms. His lips moved slowly like in a dream.

“Au revoir, mon cher. Jusqu'à notre prochaine rencontre.”

~

It was late, the sun was setting, and I was in my bedroom. There was a huge gap in my memory. I couldn't recall the last few hours for the life of me. Had I fallen asleep? I didn't think so. I got out of bed, and went to the bathroom.

I splashed water on my face, and as I looked in the mirror I noticed the swelling on my bottom lip. My lip wasn't huge, or anything, but the swelling was noticeable to me. Curious, I ran my tongue along the inside and felt something that surely hadn't been there hours before. Panicked, I drew my face closer to the mirror and folded my lip down. Sure enough there were two puncture marks.

I felt sick. Utterly sick. The color drained from my face, my eyes widened, as it dawned on me.

Alexander.

Not a-fucking-gain.

“Oh, shit.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy. The next chapter will be posted soon. - Zowie.