Divine Darkness

Chapter Three - Vivienne and Fate

I awake gasping for breath, my heart thudding violently. I feel like crying and laughing at the same time.

I hear footsteps and I'm snapped back into reality. Regaining my bearings, I haul myself to my feet, a little shaky, and look around, taking in my surroundings carefully. I'm in a large room with black and silver marble floors, and the walls are coal black. Silver torches are mounted to the walls, emitting a soft glow that casts shadows across the room. I'm in the middle of the floor, and apparently I had been passed out there.

Despite all the black and shadows, the place has a welcoming air about it, almost homey.

“She awakens!” a musical voice calls from behind me.

I sigh. “Why must everyone keep sneaking up on me?”

I turn, and a woman stands there with a large smile on her face. Her eyes are a dark red, with flecks of light brown in them. She is pretty, but nothing compared to the goddess. She looks like your average human—that is, besides the fact her smile contains sharp, feline like fangs.

I curiously observe her fangs, not frightened in the least. My mom is a goddess, so I must not be a human, therefore I have no reason to be scared. Her fangs are shorter than my attackers.

“You must be Shadow,” the woman says, looking at me approvingly.

“Oh, please,” I hear a little girls voice sound.

A young girl walks through a doorway in the far corner of the room. She's short and looks to be around 10 years old, with deep brown hair with natural honey hues. The way the light reflects off her hair gives her a shimmering halo affect, and she walks with intense purpose and grace to stand beside the woman.

Looking up at the mysterious vampire with crystal green eyes, she glares at her with kitten like malice.

“You wouldn't even know her name if it wasn't for my vision.”

I look at the girl curiously.

“Vision?” I wonder aloud.

She smiles at me genuinely. “I am unique. I am prophetic, but I'm classified as human. Despite my status, I hold more power than half the blood creeps could ever obtain. ”

The beautiful woman at her side purses her lips. “Could you not insult my fathers relatives?”

“Okay, excuse my language, but what the fuck is going on?” I say, staring between the mismatched pair.

“My name is Fate, and this is Vivienne.” The little girl says, pointing to the woman to her right. She smiles at me genuinely. “I know you must be confused, so let me explain what we are. Vivienne is half vampire, half human. As I said, I am prophetic.”

“You, my dear, are Shadow,” says Vivienne with her pointed smile.

“I know,” I say.

Fate gives me a weird look. “How could you possibly know?”

I explain my dream, about how I spoke with the Goddess and learned that she's my mother, and how I'm in no way human.

“That's incredible!” says Vivienne, smiling so wide I feel as if her lips will crack. “Third time in history!”

“Huh?” I say stupidly.

Fate rolls her eyes. “Vivienne, she's new at this, so shut the hell up and let me talk.”

Vivienne scowls, but complies. She walks to the doorway Fate had come through, and waves for us to follow. I trail behind her, and Fate behind me. Walking through the door-less walkway, we enter a room with two black couches facing each other, and a blood red carpet covering the marble floors. The walls are the same.

We sit on the couches, me on one and the awkward pair on the other. Looking at them, I see a strange boy hovering in the doorway.

“Who's he?” I ask, pointing to the teenager.

Vivienne looks back to see who I'm referring to, but Fate replies without a pause to think.

“That's Trevor, our servant.”

Vivienne turns on her, angry. “He is not a servant! He is here for the same reason as the rest of us; he just feels as if he should do everything the little Prophet Princess asks!”

I swallow. “Um...can we please get back to my questions? I have a lot, so I think this may take a while.”

They both look at me expectantly, so I continue.

“First off, what exactly am I?”

Again, Fate answers quickly. “You are unique, just like me. Your mother is not only a Goddess to most of the Blood Realm, but she was the Queen of the Shadow Demons. The Shadow Demons are supposed to be extinct, wiped out by the Blood Demons, but your mother decided to experiment. She brought herself down to the the Living Plane, and fell in love with the leader of the Rebels. He was a Blood Demon, so the child they created is half Shadow, half Blood. Unique and special and full of power. That type of love is taboo in the Blood Realm, but with her being a Goddess and him being a Rebel, not many people found out.”

“Woah,” I say. This is a lot of information to take in. “So I'm a demon? Are all of you demons?”

Vivienne replies before Fate can. “Most of us. Fate and her sister come from a long line of prophets that allied themselves with the Shadow Demons. After the Blood Demons took over, they tried to kill the entire family off.”

Fate interrupts her. “But my mother, my twin, and I survived. We ran to the only place we could, our home land.”

I look at her wonderingly. “But what is your home land? Where are we, exactly?”

Vivienne looks at Fate, as if wondering how to answer. They seem to communicate without words for a moment, and then Fate turns to me.

“Why should I tell you, when I can show you?”