Status: Thank you everyone who has stuck with me or is just now finding this. <3

My Mistake, So Predictable

The Next Best Thing

Hailey’s POV

In books and movies, people who are in the hospital for being knocked out usually have to fight to wake up, struggling to open their eyes. It’s different for me though because I hear a voice and my eyes snap open as if on their own. My body feels so ridiculously stiff but I pres the palms of my hands against the uncomfortably stiff bed anyway and try to push myself up so I can get a better look at the adorable but upset boy sitting next to me with his head tucked down onto his chest.

“It’s okay,” My scratchy voice whispers in reply to his apology that I had just barely overheard. I’m not even sure what I’m forgiving him for, but for some reason I feel like I need to comfort him. My raw throat feels like razor blades had been running races across it and I grimace as my tongue scrapes against my chapped lips- yummy.

The boy says a name with a loud, surprised tone but it doesn’t sound the least bit familiar to me, Hailey? I figure it has to be mine the way he’s looking at me like I should recognize it so I don’t let on that I don’t remember it. In fact, I don’t remember anything until my eyes opened a few seconds ago. Where the hell am I?

He hurriedly has me lay back down as I continue to struggle to sit up and I let him because suddenly my head feels like it’s exploding and my eyes seem like they are popping out of my eye sockets. Jesus this hurts and I tell him so, making him chuckle.

Then he asks me if I remember what happened to me and I try hard, pushing my mind to come up with something, anything to tell me why and how I had gotten here.

“No.” I say regretfully and then I tell him I don’t know who he is either and I immediately regret it when his face drops and his eyes scrunch up. Just as he’s about to say something the door opens and what looks like a doctor strolls in, smiling happily when he sees I’m awake.

“Hello, Hailey Grey!” He whistles cheerily, walking over to the side of my bed while multi-tasking and taking a look at what has to be my chart. “And how are you feeling, dear?” He asks kindly, his green eyes sparkling merrily as he takes a look at my pupils.

“I feel okay,” I answer slowly, “My head hurts but I’m guessing that that’s the reason why I’m here?”

His chuckle confirms it for me, “Oh yes, definitely. It had to be that or the stroke!”

“I had a stroke?!” I shriek, instantly regretting it when I shoot up and my head throbs painfully.

Two pairs of hands reach out to gently push me back, “I was kidding, Hailey!” He laughs, “I’ll let Mr. Gaskarth tell you the story, he’s been here for two days with you so I think he deserves the right to tell you.” The doctor winks and then leaves the room, leaving me staring awkwardly at who is apparently Gaskarth, his hands twisted in his lap and a nervous smile on his lips.

In a mere couple of minutes, he had explained everything to me- about playing on stage, filling in on the guitar for a boy called Jack, a pair of rude fan girls, and one of them throwing an empty beer bottle at my head. That’s right, a beer bottle. They were underage, only about fifteen so I guess the bodyguards hauled their asses out of their pretty fast but still, not only were they rude but they were also drunk off their faces.

Every few seconds while he’s talking, Alex sends me a hopeful look; one that I’m guessing is him wishing that I magically remember everything that had happened- but I don’t. So he starts back to when we first met. Apparently I work at a guitar store and him and his band had wandered in to find some picks. I guess their goofiness had caught my eye because Alex and I had quickly gotten along together. Then he mentioned a party, getting ridiculously embarrassed because I got drunk in front of him, fighting at the beach, making up after he play kidnapped me, and playing in a band with my best friends who I also don’t seem to remember.

None of this rings a bell and it's killing me.

“Don’t worry about it, Hails.” Alex says reassuringly with a pat to my hand and a comforting smile when he sees my confused face. “You’ll remember everything eventually; the doctor said it takes time sometimes.”

I turn my head to the bare wall in shame, “Yeah, I guess.” I mumble and I hear him sigh from behind me.

“Everything will work out in the end.” He says soothingly and then his hand returns to clutch mine.

“I have one more question,” I tell him softly, shifting in the uncomfortable hospital bed so my pillow isn’t digging into my back and I can look at him again.

“Anything.” He responds without a second of hesitation.

I bite my lip, “Are we dating?”

His easy smile fades and his eyes move to rest on our intertwined hands. Faintly I think I hear him mumble something before he shakes his head.

“No, you- um you have a boyfriend, Jason.” He clears his throat and points over his shoulder to the slightly cracked open door, “He’s actually waiting outside if you want to see him. I know he went back to your apartment for awhile but he should be back now.”

I move my lip nervously between my teeth so I can chew on it some more, it must be one of my bad habits since I haven’t been able to stop it since Alex started talking, “What if I don’t remember him either?” I say worriedly.

“It’ll be fine.” Alex says and he pats my hand once before standing and crossing the room to the door. He disappears and then I can hear talking for a moment before an unfamiliar face pushes open the door, closes it behind him, and strides to the end of my bed.

“Hello.” I say softly, taking in the sight of the dark blonde standing in front of me. Then his expression changes and without even realizing it, I shrink back into my pillows.

“What the hell did you think you were doing, Hailey?” The guy asks, moving so he is standing next to the chair that Alex had been sitting in before. His hand reaches out and before I can pull back, his fingers are wrapped tightly around my wrist- not at all like the comforting hold that Alex had on me before.

“I-I don’t know.” I whimper, “I don’t even know who you are.”

He snorts, “Like hell you don’t. I know you’re faking the amnesia so you don’t get in trouble with me and it’s not going to work. You knew that I didn’t want you hanging out with that Alex kid and you deliberately went behind my back and did it anyway.” His eyes flash and I can’t say anything, I don’t have any idea what to say. The words coming out of this strangers mouth is confusing and I have no idea what on earth he’s talking about- but before I can tell him that, his hand flies out and connects with the side of my face.

Tears pool in my eyes. Like fucking hell he’s going to do that again.

“Look, douche bag. I have no idea why you think you’re the shit, but touch me one more time and I swear I’ll have a handful of your scrawny balls in my hand; not attached to your body.” My words sound brave and I hope he gets the hint because I’m not playing around. I don’t know how I used to react to this treatment but this isn’t going to happen.

“Who do you think you are, you little bitc-“His words are stopped as a hand slaps itself down on his shoulder from behind.

“I don’t think you should finish that sentence, asshole.” Alex warns him, his smile polite but his eyes menancing as he glares down the angry looking guy.

“And why the hell not?” He questions, turning to Alex as his hands ball into a fist.

The door creaks and suddenly another broad but shorter guy is standing there, his eyes flashing, “Because I’ll beat the living shit out of you, that’s fucking why.” The guy spits and then Jason falters, looking between the two fuming guys.

“She’s not even worth it, the whore,” He fumes, turning to look at me once more, “You’re not worth it.” He says slowly and then he rips himself out of Alex’s grasp and heads to the door, pushing himself past the guy standing with a hatred filled look on his face.

“I’ll make sure he leaves, Alex.” The guy says and then smiles gently at me before closing the door behind him.

It’s then that I notice I’m shaking. My hands, my entire body quakes as I try to calm myself down. “What the heck was that, Alex? What did I do to deserve that from him? Was I a horrible girlfriend, did I cheat?” I ask shakily, rambling on without really thinking about what I’m trying to say.

Alex rushes over and places one hand on my cheek, the other finding its way to my hair. “Hailey, you’re perfect.” He murmurs with a soft laugh, “That guy is the biggest douche dick I’ve ever met in my life.” His hands run over my face and I relax until his fingers catch on the forming bruise Jason had left behind.

“Ouch.” I hiss and his hands pull away immediately as a look of concern flashes across his face.

“I’m so sorry, Hailey.” He murmurs and then his hands lightly touch my face again, tracing around the throbbing bruise.

“Just tell me one thing, Alex.” I say, “Tell me the truth, did I let him hurt me before? Did I do anything to try and stop him?”

From his hesitation I know the answer before he says it. “No.” He says after a moment’s pause. “You didn’t. But that doesn’t matter now because he’s never going to lay eyes on you again.”

From the sincerity in his voice and eyes, it's easy to believe him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I got my driver's license! Wooh! :D

heeytara - Thank you so much! And thank you for commenting. &lt;3

erratic - Aww thank you! You're so nice and your comments are so lovely. (:

marrymeJackB - Oh my goodness your comments make me so ridiculously happy. :D I love them so much!

Alexis_w - Yay! I was hoping someone didn't predict it. (: Thank you for commenting!