Status: Thank you everyone who has stuck with me or is just now finding this. <3

My Mistake, So Predictable

Memories That Fade Like Photographs

I yelp loudly and shoot up out of my seat as something sharp gently pokes my rib cage. Ouch. My gaze flies around the small room and lands on a smirking and very guilty looking Alex, who is struggling not to laugh and won’t catch my eye. I reach out to playfully push him back but movement out of the corner of my eye freezes my motion; a doctor is walking down one of the hallways towards us. We are currently the only ones sitting in the cramped waiting room, so it has to be news about Jack. Finally, geez. We had been anxiously waiting here for two hours. I had dozed off for a few minutes when an old episode of CSI first started and it was halfway over so I know I haven’t slept long. Guiltily I stretch out my sore muscles and glance at Alex; he hadn’t moved since I had closed my eyes. As calm as he was trying to look on the outside, I knew he was worried about his best friend, just like the others were. Alex had called Rian and Zack earlier but they were busy and we didn’t want to leave Jack alone so we decided to stay and promised to let them know how he was.

“Mr. Asskarth?” The doctor questions out loud, striding the last couple of feet to where we are sitting uncomfortably in the hard chairs. He holds out a hand to Alex for him to shake and Alex groans at the nickname while I laugh. Classis Jack. The doctor is older, probably early fifties judging by his graying hair and the chiseled laugh lines around his mouth. Not terribly bad looking for an older guy, if I can say so without sounding like a creepy stalker.

He sits in one of the padded seats next to Alex and flips open the clipboard he was carrying, “I’m Doctor Richards by the way.” I greet him with a friendly smile, waving slightly and saying, “Hailey.” He acknowledges me with a smile. “Mr. Barakat is doing fine. He’s been given six stitches in the back of his head and has a slight concussion, but you can take him home tonight if you would like.”

Alex laughs, startling the doctor. “You could keep him for awhile if you want.” He jokes.

Dr. Richards grins and shuffles his papers around, “Not to sound unprofessional, but please take him home. He’s already hit on three of my nurses, and only two of them were female.”

Alex and I glance at each other, I try to hold it in but laughter bubbles up my throat and I can’t help it. We both burst out laughing, clutching our sides. “Sounds like Barakat.” Alex chokes out through his laughter.

I grin, still chuckling and thank the confused doctor, receiving instructions for Jack’s room. Down a hallway, turn right, third door on your left. Got it.

I gently whack the still laughing Alex on the back of his head and he whines, swiftly getting to his feet and padding after me down the empty hallway.

“Asskarth?” I muse, counting the numbers on the doors.

“Jack thinks he’s funny.” Alex comments back with a chuckle, yanking the ever present beanie down on his head.

Finally we reach his door and Alex steps in front of me to knock, pushing the door open when a female voice tells us we can enter.

“Lexie!” Jack shrieks, “Hails!” He holds his arms out to us for hugs, much to the disapproval of the nurse who was struggling to get him to sit still. She moves to grab his arm but he bounces across the bed, out of reach from her short arms. “Mr. Barakat.” She huffs, “Two seconds ago you were wailing about a headache and now you are doing a fine job of giving me one.”

Jack sticks out his tongue playfully at her and she grumbles something under her breath before walking over to where Alex and I were watching the two of them with amused faces. “Do you think you could get him to swallow this?” She asks her growing frustration evident. I feel slightly bad, she is an older nurse but I could tell that Jack really didn’t like the idea of taking pills.

“It’s just something for a headache.” She adds, slipping the small white pill into Alex’s outstretched hand. “He threatened to find out where I live and eat all of my pickles.” She widens her eyes, “I don’t even own any pickles!” I don’t risk a look at Alex; instead I fake interest in the boring paintings decorating the beige walls. I know if I look at his twitching face, we’ll both laugh and it’ll embarrass the nurse. Finally when we’re both composed enough and I glance at the long haired boy. He grins and gives me a wink as if to say, “Watch this,” and launches himself onto Jack’s bed, immediately snuggling into Jack’s arms.

“Jackie, this’ll make you feel better.” He tells him, but Jack clamps his mouth shut. “Take it, Jack.” Alex says more firmly, holding the pill out for him to take.

“Nhshdsf.” Jack gargles through his closed mouth, adamantly shaking his head.

A gleam appears in Alex’s eyes and he sits up, holding Jack’s arms down firmly against the bed, “This is for your own good, Jack.” He tells him, removing his hands so he can dig his fingers into Jack’s side.

Alex takes advantage of the laughing Jack to shove the pill to the back of his mouth, and then grinning triumphantly holds his mouth shut with his hands.

“You could’ve at least given me water, asshole.” Jack sputters as soon as he had swallowed, groping for his cup on the small table next to the bed. I step forward and grab it for him, holding it out so he can take it. He grins in thanks and washes down the pill with the water. “See Hails is nice.” He says, handing the cup back to me and smacking Alex on the shoulder.

“Hailey hasn’t known you for that long.” Alex comments lightly, lying down between Jack and the wall. “If she did, she would know about when you tried to drown me last year.” Jack chuckles at the memory, “Paybacks a bitch.” Alex adds, stealing the second pillow from under Jacks dark head.

“So what did the doctor say?” Jack asks curiously changing the subject, he waves as the nurse shuts the door behind her, “cranky.” He comments, with a chuckle. He tugs on the pillow Alex had snatched until half is under his head and leans back against it with a content sigh.

“You can come home tonight,” Alex laughs, taking his beanie off and tossing it on one of the two chairs pushed up against the wall, “I told him they could keep you and he said you had flirted with a dude.” Jack pouts playfully and shoves Alex into the wall, causing Alex to yelp and rub his wounded shoulder.

“I didn’t know! In my defense, he was a very feminine looking guy.” Jack says, “And maybe I don’t wanna go home.” Jack giggles, “They treat me much better here.”

“But I’d miss you too much, buddy.” Alex says moving over until he is curled up into Jack’s side. Jack grins and shifts so his arm is around Alex’s shoulder. “I’d miss you too.” I take advantage of the cute moment, grabbing my phone out of my skinny jeans pocket. “Say cheese.” I say, grinning at the silly faces they make. I show them the picture and they chuckle, “You guys are adorable.” I pause, “What would your ship name be?” Oblivious to the two boys laughing to each other I think for a second. “How about Jalex?” Alex asks with a snicker.

I clap my hands excitedly at the name, “That’s so cute.” I giggle.

“Maybe you could write a fanfiction about it?” Jack suggests with a smile, patting the small space between him and Alex. I slip off my moccasins and hop in the bed gently, careful not to touch the fragile boy next to me. It’s cramped in the tiny bed but Jack’s back is to me so I get comfortable by laying my head down on Jacks shoulder, thinking about how crazy I am to be in this situation at all. Two short weeks ago I hadn’t even known these boys and now they are quickly becoming two of my closest friends. I sigh happily as Alex’s breathing warms the back of my neck; curled up with both of them makes it easy to drift off to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is what Hailey's wearing..(: Jack's okay! :D I couldn't help but throw some Jalex in there, anyone a fan of Jalex? (:

Huge thanks to:

Paradise;Lust. Hahaha nope! No sex until... well, you'll see. ;)
Tired of The Lying; Aha you'll have to wait and seee. :D It should come up soon. I have some drama planned and then her past will come into play. (:

My computer is being silly and decided to delete the three chapters I had pre-written so I had to rewrite this. Erg. I don't know when the next one will be up because I'm super behind in schoolwork bleh. so not to sound like a comment whore or anything, but comments will make it the next chapter come faster. :D
xx