Killer Love

Dreamy Nightmare

For a while things looked like they were getting better and Azrael and I spent a lot of time together. His favorite thing to do was take me out to the lake on the weekends just to get away from the city. We’d pack up our things and after an hour of trying to get Mama to come out with us we’d give up and leave for the weekend. We never liked leaving her alone but she would literally push us out the door and tell us to stop being a bunch of pansies telling us not to worry about her she could handle herself. Mama was crazy like that and after we smiled and shook our heads we’d be on our way.

We stayed in a cabin by the lake that Azraels’ grandpa had owned and was passed down to Azrael when he died. It was a beautiful reddish colored cabin. The smell of pine was so strong there that it was nearly intoxicating. It was in that same place he taught me how to fish, how to build a fire and how to cook. It was also where he asked me the most important question I’d ever been asked.

I was sitting on a chair on the balcony one night looking at the sky thinking it looked like a billion diamonds shining across the heavens. Azrael walked out looking nervous which was unusual for him. “Allison…” My head tilt to the side as I tried to figure out why he was looking so flustered. “Are you having a good time?” “Of course I am. With my knight in shining armor here why wouldn’t I be?” I smiled.

“Allison, I need you to know that I truly, deeply care for you and there is no one in the world more important to me than you. My heart would cease to beat if I had to live without you. I’d die a thousand deaths before I let anyone hurt you and I vow to protect you no matter what it takes.” Azrael took my hands and placed a silver ring into my hand. It took a moment for me to register what was happening.

“Azrael…”

“Marry me, Ally?” His brown eyes engulfed me. I let out a small gasp and stood there a while longer with my mouth gapping open. “Re-Really?!”

He smiled at me and made a face as if to say ‘Seriously, Ally?’ I had never dreamed I’d feel as alive as I did. I suddenly seen the world more clearly and for a minute it was like there was no gravity. I would have fallen to my knees if it weren’t for him holding me up.
“Of course I will. Yes!” I cried and he pulled me closer to him and we stood there a while. I was basking in the moment and his smell, a clean just washed scent, was all I could think of. This is the best thing to happen to me besides him coming into my life.

That night we called Mama and told her the news. She laughed over the phone and told me she knew for the longest time that this would happen and was wondering when Azrael was going to finally do it. After we got off the phone with her we put out the fireplace and went to bed.

Only a few hours after we had turned out the lights to go to sleep we heard a noise outside the cabin. Azrael heard it first and was up quicker than I’d ever seen him before. He reached under the bed and pulled out something long and it shined in the moonlight. I have to admit that I freaked out when I seen what it was. Of course Azrael loved knives and guns when it came to outdoorsy stuff but to have one under the bed was a little extreme. At least that’s what I thought before this night…not that I was thinking about it before. He crouched down by the window and peered out. I was so in shock because of the knife that I didn’t hear the door creak open in the other room. “Get under the bed.” I heard his raspy voice demand as he pulled me down to the floor. “Close your eyes and cover your ears.”

I slid under the bed and covered my ears but my eyes were wide open refusing to close. I seen Azrael walk to the door armed with the knife and he stood there in attack mode, ready to strike anyone who came in. I uncovered my ears and tried to calm my breathing. I hadn’t realized that my heart was racing so fast.

Then we heard them. From what I heard there were three of them in the cabin. “Get what you can and if they so much as move in their sleep cut their throats.” One of the men said his voice deep and raspy. I felt sweat start to gather on my forehead. “There were only two of them, right? You’re positive it was only two??” The second man said in a higher pitched voice. “Shut up or you’ll wake them up!” A third voice whispered quickly. “It’s not like anyone will hear or anything but I’d rather we just do it nice and quiet.” “Why are you two just standing there yappin’? Hurry up!!” The first man said and with that we heard the men scurry around the living room. Azrael peered through the crack in the door and slowly opened the door slipping out quietly. I couldn’t handle seeing him walk right into danger so I got out from under the bed and crawled to the closet where we kept the guns. I pulled out a small case and opened it up trying not to make any noise.

At that moment I heard a small bump and a sickening gurgling noise coming from outside the door. I let out a small gasp as I quickly grabbed a black hand gun from the case. I wouldn’t have been able to tell you what kind it was or anything about it actually. I just wanted to protect us any way that I could and this was all that came to my mind at the moment. I held it up pointed at the door as I heard the first guy, the one who sounded like he was in charge; call out as low as he could. “What the hell are you doing on the floor, you idiot!?” No one responded. “Get up stupid.” A moment passed and still nothing. “What the-” I heard another noise, this time it sounded more wet then a thump.

I walked closer to the door, gun still in hand, and almost tripped over the pillow that had fallen off the bed. I froze not knowing if I had made a noise that would cause the men to come into the room to investigate. The door opened slowly as the light flickered on and revealed a thick looking man wearing all black. My eyes widened as he smiled at me, a sickening smile.

Most of his teeth were missing except the few rotting or yellow ones on the left side of his mouth. “Hello beautiful.” He walked into the room slowly, the gun in my hand not phasing him. Where was Azrael?! “It looks like we are all alone. And I’ve got plans for you.” He said as he started unbuckling his belt. “Get away from me or I’ll shoot your head off!!” I yelled pointing the gun at his face. “I can’t imagine a little thing like you actually being able to really kill anyone.” He laughed walking closer. “I mean it! I’ll blow your brains out!!” The next thing I knew I was against the wall with his big body squashing me into the wall like a fly being smashed with the swatter. All the air came rushing out from my lungs and out of shock I dropped the gun. How can someone that big be so quick?! He breathed into my face and I nearly vomited from the rancid smell of liquor and tooth decay. “You’re really pretty. What’s your name?” He laughed again stroking my cheek. “Get off of me!!” I yelled then let out a frustrated scream. I felt a sting dance across my face as he smacked me then. “Shut up!” A few tears rolled out from my now teary eyes. I hated myself for crying but the tears just came out. I felt his hands grasp my throat and I began to feel light headed and woozy. I’m going to die on the day that is supposed to be the start of the best year of my life. And I don’t even want to think of what he is gonna do when I can’t fight anymore. The last words I heard before I blacked out were him saying, “You’re going to die just like his mother.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Update! Yay! Hope you enjoy!!