Status: update is in progress.

Birdie

sourire dance

Pierre is nowhere to be found when I awaken. My eyes are not even open as I pat my empty sheets as disappointment runs through me. I guess he did keep his promise. He had stayed in my bed until I had fallen asleep but part of me wanted him to stay all night, be there when I woke up. When I open my eyes I see that the imprint of his body is still there and that gives me comfort.

Tinsley knocks on the door and I panic, pulling at the bed spread and making the imprint disappear. I quickly open up the door and allow my friend in the room. She smiles at me, yellow eyes gleaming. She lays out a nice sundress for me on the bed. The dress is a bit longer but is sleeveless as usual. It is light green and has a wide white ribbon that stretches around my middle. The end of the dress is frayed but I like the look. Tinsley escourts me to the closet and she and her faery friends do my hair again. They fix my hair so it is completely straight, its length hanging down to my breasts, my bangs hanging evenly just above my eyes. My hair seems darker today, my eyes bluer. My whole body seems to radiate the feelings I had last night- happiness and affection.

I meet Pierre at the bottom of the stairs and smile at him. He wears a white waistcoat over a black dress shirt and his white shoes contrast his black trousers. His hair is flattened, tamed, for the first time since I have met the boy. His eyes are distant, however, and he doesn't return my smile.

We walk calmly out into the brisk morning air and climb into the cabin of the carriage.Perre follows soon after. He gathers himself, arching his back and staring forward, deliberately avoiding looking at me at any cost to him. I bite down on my lip, trying hard not to let how hurt I am show through. I am a strong, independant girl. I don't need him to like me, or be my friend. I let him when I had been vurnable, and he had been too, but that is over now. If he is going to pretend like last night never happened, then I shall do the mature thing and play along with his little game.

"Lovely weather this morning," he mutters matter-of-factly. I gaze out of teh carriage and find that the faery is correct. The sky is blue, the sun is shining bright and warm, and slight breeze runs through the air every so often, bringing a quick relief to those who need it. I sigh and nod before he continues. "I assume you slept well."

My gaze immeadiately shoots over to him but he hasn't moved. His short ash colored hair his straighter today than usual, giving is the appearance of having grown some length to it, but it is still not long enough to fall into his eyes. His glare is fixed on the front-most wall of the carriage, the sun cathing those lavender orbs, turning them into a sea of beauty. I blink hard.

"My sleeping arrangements were less than favorable," I lie. I hear his spit catch in his throat and listen as he gulps it back down. We both know it is a lie but it stung him and I am proud of that. If he's to be distant and cold to me, then I am not going to be polite.

Pierre doesn't say a single thing to me after that as we ride into the city. I glance at him every now and again and watch his eyes shift back and forth as he looks to the scenery out of the windo. His lips are set in a cold, hard line. For a moment I feel as if I hurt him too badly and I start to feel guilty, but then I remember his attitude with me and his acting as if last night was just another night to him and I stop feeling that way. Last night he made me feel better than I have in weeks. He made me feel that for one night, there was still a person on this planet who could still treat me as a princess, still a person who might care about me the way two people should.

But then he ripped that away.

Image

Three or so hours after Pierre and I return home from school, there is a knock on the door. Tinsley and I are both in the main lobby, each of us with a task at hand. Tinsley dust the table tops and bookshelves as I follow behind her, scanning the names of all the books, also searching for pictures or anything else that may be related to the Elena in my dreams. When the knock rings through the parlor, Tinsley perks up immeadiately and heads to the doors.

"Tinsley, I'll get it!" I shout to her politely and walk quickly in front of her. She eyes me skeptically. "Could you fetch Mr. Stillson and tell him our guest has arrived?"

She smiles and nods, taking off up the stairs and to find the faery boy. I sigh and shake off the feeling of commanding a servant. I hate asking for help from her as it is, she and every other faery on this estate treat me as if I am their master and I hate feeling as if I am.

I step forward and pull one of the beautiful double doors open, revealing the emerald eyed Warlock. His dark hair had been slicked back and he wears a simple gray and white waistcoat, slacks, and shoes. His shoes are not polished but are worn down and teh leather is cracked. It's imperfect and unfancy, unlike anything I've seen in the last week or so of living here and it's welcoming. It reminds me of being back in my hometown, where no one is fancy.

"Welcome to the Silversmythe Manor," I say with a curtsey, remembering my manners. I step back and let the boy step in. Tai's head tilts back as he looks up and around, drawing in every detail of the room as I first had when I came here. His eyes jump from book case to book case in wonder. "A book worm like myself, I take it?"

Tai grins, "Yes. You have a lot of books, it's exciting."

I glance around the room. There are maybe fifteen or so book cases, each of their shelves filled to the brim with novels. My lips lift up into a smile. "You haven't even seen the library yet."

"This isn't it?" He blushes.

"No," I giggle, "Would you like to see it?"

"If it's not too much trouble."

"Of course not," I say. I take his hand and start leading him up the stairs and to the third floor. As before, I have to weave through doors and hallwys just to reach teh library but I breathe a sigh of relief when we reach it. I had not been completely sure I remembered the way but we found it nonetheless. Tai lets out a gasp of enchantment and runs off to scan each title. I smile and watch him for a moment before actually doing the same. I only stayed for a few moments last time, I never really got the chance to look.

Tai and I take our sweet time gazing at each title, moving slowly, pulling a book out every so often and telling the other about it. We do this for nearly twenty minutes, laughing and snickering softly to ourselves. I had never truly thought of how much fun you could have just looking through a library but we do. Tai stands up, stepping out of the circle of books that had once surrounded him. He looks at it, holds out one had and mutters, "Redire."

Suddenly the books soar into the air one by one. The all start moving in their own directions and pushing themselves back onto the shelves. Tai turns to me, catching me as I stare in wonder. "Neat, huh?"

"Very," I say in a hushed, amazed voice. "How does it work?"

"What? Magic?"

"Yes."

He smiles and furrows his brow. "Well, I can tell you a little bit about it, but I have to tell you to keep in mind that faery magic is much different than magic that comes from Warlocks."

"I'll keep that in mind," I say invitingly. He looks me over, green eyes flashing. In this light his skin looks white and pasty. His expression is sincere and helpful.

"Magic for Warlocks is sort of devided into three different ingredients; language, hands, and nature. But, there's more ingredients in each of those branches. Basically, magic works because Warlocks are in tune with the spiritual and magical side of themselves that humans just seem to have trouble tapping into. Some can do it, but most can't."

"Wait," I say quickly. "Humans can do magic?"

He frowns and shakes his head slightly, "Not like Warlocks can. Humans, if they do it right, can manage a spell or two. Warlocks, with the three ingredients, can manage every sort of magic."

"How do just three things help Warlocks create magic?" I ask, completely curious. By this time both Tai and I have taken a seat on the floor, my legs out and bent at the knee beside me. Tai just crosses his legs and breathes in deep.

"Well, mixed with our natural ability to actually produce magic, these ingredients come together to help us control and make our magic better and stronger. Our hands are possibly the most important ingredient. Magic flows right alongside the blood in our viens and meet at one center point- our palms. Cut off our connect to our hands and we're useless. We can still do a few spells but nothing that could seriously harm anyone."

I think back to when we saved him yesterday how Freer had tried desperately to hold his thumbs down on Tai's wrist. He had been cutting off the magic flow, rendering Tai defenseless. Apparently their weakness is common knowledge.

"Now," he continues, "Language is possible second important. You don't always have to vocalize a spell but if you do, it usually strengthens it. And each Warlock has their one language that magic speaks to them through. Mine happens to be Latin. Understanding that language with also strengthen your spells. It's usually simple commands said in that magic's language but sometimes you'll use an ancient spell with an old Warlock language, but not often."

I stare at him in awe. Moving here has just been one big learning experience for me, truly. Tai's words fascinate me. I've never seen magic preformed until I came here and even before then, when all I had to do is wonder about it, I would have never imagined that magic can be explained so simply.

"And finally, nature. That breaks down into two things, really. Actual nature and the nature of the spell. White spells, which are helpful, are easier to preform, and black spells, which are harmful, are harder to preform. Then, there's nature. If your spell is effecting nature in generally, it's not hard at all and even helps with other spells. Like certain rituals may call for water or fire. So, basically, the earth around us can enhance our magic."

"That's really fascinating!" I exclaim, a big smile on my face. I feel a twinge of envy for a moment but it passes. It must truly be spectacular to be able to do magic, but I'm content living the life I have. I smile big. Suddenly, the library doors fly open and in strolls a figure.

"I see you've had all the fun without me," Pierre says with a soft smile. Tai laughs but I just flatten my lips into a thin line. Tai stands and helps me to his feet. A gentleman. I appreaciate that. Pierre stuffs his hands in his pockets as he watches, his voice very limp as he says, "Dinner shall be done soon, shall we head back downstairs?"

Tai and I nod curtly and follow Pierre back through the maze of halls and doors until we're back to the staircase and headed down. Again as we pass the second floor, I feel drawn to it, but once again I'm forced to move past it and forget about it. When we reenter the parlor, the setting and mood has drastically changed. The lights are now dimmer, soft music comes from a few faeries in the corner playing a harp, another playing the violin, and a third strumming a guitar. I had forgotten that the faeries did this while we ate dinner. I look over at Tai. His face has lit up, his eyes full of wonder and excitement.

"Can we join them? Just for a moment?" He asks hurriedly. I shake my head.

"Faeries are very tricky music. Dance, and you dance forever," I warn him just as Tinsley had warned me. He frowns but Pierre steps in quickly, putting his hands on each of our shoulders.

"I will not let that happen." His voice his firm, his touch cold but reassuring. I know I'm angry with him but I believe him and I trust him.

Tai turns to me, taking my hand and leading me all the way down the stairs and onto the dance floor. Pierre follows close by. "May I have this dance, Miss Deerly," the Warlock asks and with a smile I reply, "Of course."

The faery band, upon seeing us two, grina nd strike up a different, more upbeat one. The melody is strange and the beats are off and irregular but I can't help but feel enchanted by it. Tai takes my hands in his and we start dancing. Stepping away from eachother, stepping toward the other again- all very quickly. He lets go of one of my hands, spinning me out with the other and quickly spinning me back into his arm. With a giggle I step away again, dropping one of his hands this time and spinning him away from me. He grins as he comes back in, taking hold of both my hands and we just start spinning for a few moments, laughing and giggling all the while.

However, the music dies down softly and our feet slow into a halt. Panting and smiling, I wipe sweat from my brow and Tai hunches over, putting his hands on his knees as he draws in large breathes. The music starts again, softly at first but grows louder every second. The violin's meoldy is sweeter this time with the guitar playing a lovely harmony to accompany it. The harp rings out in sharp sweet notes every so often. Pierre steps forward, taking Tai's place. He looks at me with soft eyes, the lavender in them a bit darker in the dim light. In this room its not hard to see what he is. He's so tall, sixor so feet. His skin is the color of pale moonlight and his hair resembles the ashes of a flame that has long since been dead. He is not a human, but he is beautiful all the same.

"The Sourire Dance," he offers his hand to me and with a confused look, I take it. What has come over him? What made him throw away the cold and distant act and ask me to dance. "It's a traditional faery dance. Would you like to learn it?"

I look up at his face. His eyes are wavering and hopeful. "Why not," I agree and he pulls me into an embrace. He bends down and whispers in my ear, "Follow my lead."

Just like that, we're off and dancing. He holds our hands up between us and laces our fingers. He steps his right leg toward me as he tells me, "Match it with your left." Cautiously, I step my left leg out, lining my foot up with his. He steps forward with his left foot, matching it with my right, causing me to step backward with the left. He grins. "You've got it! Now, forward."

We repeat the process, though I advance on him this time. I catch him looking at me and I just smile. The music comes to a new section, the beat slowing down slightly. Pierre unlocks one of out hands and uses the other to spin me away from him, spin me in place, and then spin myself back into his arms. My back lays flat against his chest, or what I can reach of it. I can feel his heart drumming against my skin, radiating his life into me. He puts his arms around me, swaying us for just a moment before turning me to face him. He grins, "Ready?"

"Ready for wh-" I start but am cut off as Pierre dips down and grab me, one hand under my knees and the other under my back, lifting me up until he's holding me princess style. I giggle uncontrollably as he suddenly whips us around in a wide arc of a circle, twirling us faster and faster until the music fades and we slow to a stop. He lets me down gentlely, breath hard. He bows in front of me and I can't help but grin when he says, "And that was the Sourire Dance."

"Well," I say, pausing to take a short breath, "I am very pleased to have learned it."

Tai steps toward us and I curse myself for a moment. Dancing with Pierre had made me lose track of everything else in the house, Tai, dinner, everything. The Fey around us are watching us with wide smiles on their beautiful faces, all looking very pleased and approving. Tai pats Pierre's back, "You guys were great!"

"Thank you," Pierre says and gives him a mock bow. We all chuckle. A moment later Tinsley wanders up to us, her beautiful white hair flowing behind her. Tai freezes, scanning the faery girl. She short, thin frame supports a cute yellow sundress and her beautiful yellow eyes gleamed in the dim light. She smiled.

"Dinner is now served," she smiles at all of us but I have a sneaking suspicion its mainly for the Warlock. Pierre looks down at me and I meet his glance. His face is clear, but his eyes let me in. His gaze is soft and warm still. Whatever had been making him be so distant earlier is gone now and I feel my own resentment melt away. Maybe he was just nervous, or did not know what to make of the situation. It is perfectly understandable, I think.

I smile at the boys. "It's been a long day, I am sure we could all use a meal."

With the happy tune of the Sourire Dance song still echoing in my head, I follow Tinsley and lead the boys into the dining hall. It may have started out pretty rocky, but it has been turning out to be a wonderful day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Late update, but a good one, I think.
Please feel free to ask for the URL and password to this story's tumblr blog.
There you will be able to see glimpses at upcoming chapters, snippets from the next two books, explanations of certain things, secrets and fun facts, and various pictures relating to the story.
Please comment! :D