1,000 Lies Told At 40,000 Feet High

Chapter 9

“It’s not a date!” I emphasised, running my fingers through my long hair and leaning forward in my seat.
“It’s totally a date! Why can’t you see that?” Sarah yell-whispered to.
“We’re just going go-karting with a few of his friends. He only invited me because I have never been before,” I replied. It was the Wednesday after I had gotten back from Sydney and despite the approach of autumn, it was still too warm in our classroom. The fan that stood in the corner of the room did little but make an annoying whirling sound and for some reason, our teacher ‘didn’t believe in air conditioners’. Which to me really made no sense at all, they couldn’t not exist, it wasn’t like they were fairies or something.
“What do you even wear to go go-karting?” Bree asked tilting her head to the side a little.
“I don’t know, shorts I guess?” I answered before falling silent as Mr Watson sent one of his infamous glares my way. But it was actually exactly what I had wanted, because it gave me a reason to stop speaking and pretend to complete the math work that the rest of the class was doing. In all truth, this had all been part of my plan. I had purposely waited until our math class after lunch to tell everyone that I was going out with Oscar and a few of his mates on the weekend, it meant that I would avoid an interrogation from Sarah. And because Mr Watson had a very strict ‘no talking in my class’ rule, Sarah couldn’t exactly go ballistic like I knew she’d wanted to when she found out that I’d held out so long to tell her.
“It’s a first date! You have to wear a dress,” Sarah said. I rolled my eyes and picked up pen again.
“What, and flash everyone? I don’t think so,” Amanda said interrupting, “Trust me, you want to wear shorts. And no high heels.”
“Guys, really, it’s not a date,” I said pathetically. What was the point even? They weren’t going to believe me no matter what I said.
“Pip, why can’t you just accept the fact that maybe he likes you?” Amanda said gently. I looked back down at my uncompleted math work and bit my lip. I wish that I had Chace’s number, then I would be able to call him and ask for his advice. He seemed to know a thing or two about how a guy’s mind worked. He would be able to tell me if this really was a date or if my friends were just delusional and over analysing it.
“Miss Evan, Miss Cooper, is there something wrong at the back of the room?” Mr Watson boomed from the whiteboard.
“No Mr Watson,” Amanda and I replied looking away from our grumpy math teacher. Honestly, couldn’t he smile every once in a while? It would certainly make me dread math a little less.
“Well then, it won’t be a problem for you to stop that chit chat and do your work.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi,
Sorry to anyone who was expecting a double update, I've had to re upload the last chapter due to the mibba crash. Thankfully all I lost was that chapter(which i had saved elsewhere) and a few comments. I am a little unhappy with this chapter, (it felt very forced and it's far too short(only a page and a bit) ) but I didn't want to delay another update. I have four tests next week so I blame my lack of updating on that.
Comment and subscribe, it make me so happy. :)
xx