1,000 Lies Told At 40,000 Feet High

Chapter 1

“Hello and welcome to Qantas flight QF402 from Melbourne to Sydney. My name is Sandra and I am the head stewardess on board this flight...” I tuned out the woman talking to the passengers over the intercom and turned to look back down at the novel that I was holding in my hands. I have heard this speech a hundred times before, if I wanted to, I could give the safety briefing to the passengers myself. Ever since my parents’ divorce, I had been taking this flight from Melbourne to Sydney and then back again on a regular basis. When I was younger, I would make the trip every three weeks but over time it changed. Now I only see my father every five weeks or so.

There were still some people moving around in the cabin, placing their luggage in the overhead lockers and when someone sat down in the seat beside me, I had to fight the urge to look up at them.

“You know, I wouldn’t pegged you as a Jane Austen type of girl,” said a voice beside me as the plane began to move towards the runway. I smiled and turned to face the voice only to find myself caught off guard when what I saw isn’t at all what I had been expecting. Although, I’m not really sure what it was that I was expecting.

The man in the seat beside me looked to be in his late teens, seventeen or eighteen perhaps. But then again, I had never been very good at guessing people’s age. I could tell that he was tall, taller than at me at least, and his long brown hair was messily styled in an I-just-rolled-out-of-bed look. His slightly square chin was covered in stubble that only further highlights the I-just-rolled-out-of-bed look and his lips were curved upwards into a small smile. His eyes were dark brown and mysterious and yet at the same time, they held a hint of humour in them. Around the man’s neck was a black scarf and tucked into his white V-neck T-shirt was a pair of dark sunglasses. He was gorgeous. I quickly stopped checking the guy out when I realized that I had been staring for a few seconds now and still hadn’t answered him.

“And what type of girl would you have pegged me as?” I asked raising my eyebrow. Luckily I am good at acting; I have been practicing it ever since I was fifteen. He cocked his head to the side and squinted his eyes as he sized me up.

“The kind of girl who reads fashion magazines,” He said chuckling a little. I laughed and shook my head a little.
“I will admit, there is one in my bag under my seat,” I confessed. I bit my lip and looked down at my lap.
“I’m Chace by the way.”
“Avery.” Avery is not my real name, although it is one of my favourites, one that I use more often than other names. My name is actually Piper, Piper Scarlett Evan, but I rarely tell the people that I meet on airplanes my real name.
“Well, it’s a pleasure to meet you Avery,” said Chace as he smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone,
First of all, I wanted to let you know that this isn't a complete chapter. It is actually only about 1/3 of the chapter (just over a page on word) but I felt as if I owed it to you all to update.I also wanted to make you all aware of my new updating schedule. As I have already mentioned, I am crazy busy with year 12 at the moment so I have decided to update once a week. I originally planned on updating short chapters (like the one above) a few times a week but I thought people would prefer it if I updated one long chapter once a week. So from now on I will be updating every Sunday and this Sunday, the 12th, will be an update with the rest of the chapter.

I know some people like know what places look like and exactly what Characters in the story are wearing so for those of you that are interested, here is the link for what Avery/Piper is wearing:
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=43252514
If you want me to keep on putting up stuff like that, let me know.

And lastly, thank you to the five lovely people who subscribed and poplockandropit for commenting. You are all the reason why I have continued writing this.

Thank you so much for reading and comment and/or subscribe if you liked it :) And sorry that this has been such a long authors note.
xx Miss Myself