Father Figure

One

When peopole first meet me, they are typically shocked to find out I am a mother. I guess I don't look like the average 24 year old mother because I make time to take care of myself, but even aside from that. After that, though, they are flabergasted at the thought that I am a mother to triplets.

Triplets were rare, especially in my family. We had several twins over the generations, but I was the first to have triplets. And that nearly took my life.

At 18, I ran home in tears looking for the only person I knew I could trust completely in my situation: my mother. We'd been fighting for weeks and weeks, but none of that mattered.

I'd stormed into my house, yelled her name, and run to her. At first, she was just as frustrated with me as she had been, but the moment she saw how upset I was, she brushed it all aside. She held my hand through every turn my pregnancy took: the health scares, the financial issues, and even my schooling. She refused to let me not get my college degree, so we worked things out so I could still get my bachelors.

To this day, I will forever be greatful for her. I would've never made it through anything without her.

My boys were creeping up on their fifth birthday in two months. They were loud, rambonctious, and full of energy at all hours of the day. Keeping up with them was a task, but along the way, I ran into another big stroke of luck: Joseph Williams.

Joseph Williams was a 26 year old lawyer that was more than kind. He was accepting of my sons and tried to act as a male role model to them. When he'd asked me on our first date two years ago, I couldn't help but say yes. He was the perfect man. And three months ago when he asked me to marry him, I replied with the same answer.

Things were falling into place in my life. I was going to have my perfect little home and family, even if the order was odd. In a year's time, I would be coming home to my big home where my three boys would be playing out in the yard and my husband was reading the newspaper on the porch. I would have something that every woman wanted.

Except one thing.

When I was 18 and had just finished high school, my best friend came home for a visit. I'd been so pissed at my mother that while at a party with him, I'd gotten wasted. The next morning I woke up in a T-shirt that was definitely not mine and a bed that was in no way what so ever mine. Beside me laid my passed out best friend, covered only by a blanket. And that was how I lost my virginity.

I hadn't spoken to him since that night. We drifted away from each other, for different reasons. I didn't want to destroy his life with the news that he was a father and he was just busy. He was drafted into the NHL and was soon on his way to becoming a bigger star than even Mario Lemieux. So, I hid from him. I cut off all forms of contact the moment I found out. We would not raise our children together.

As much as I didn't regret my decision, I kind of wished things had worked out between us. It would have been nice for the boys to all know their true dad instead of a fill in.

--

"Mama?" Kris began.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Why does Joe say we're moving?" Beau continued.

I stopped stirring the pasta sauce I was cooking. "What?" I asked, turning to face them.

They were seated at the counter, arms folded on the counter in front of them and all six eyes glued to m face. It was scary how much they looked alike sometimes. Yet I could tell them apart as if it were night and day. Kris's eyes were always opened just slightly more than his brothers. He was the observer of the three. He noticed all the small details and picked up on tiny facts.

Beau was the one that had a wider mouth. I assumed that was why he liked smiling and talking so much. He was the one that always took charge and lead the group. He was more outspoken than his two brothers by a long shot. He didn't mind speaking his mind.

And finally on the right sat my little Gabriel. Gab was the one that only liked to act. If there was a crash somewhere in the house, it was always Gabriel breaking something. He was more agressive than his brothers and also extremely protective. If it came down to those three getting in a fight in high school, Gab would be the one to take out the offender in a second. He was obviously going to be the one that did more sports in the bunch. I could always pick out Gab because of the scar on his forehead, a badge he wore proudly after launching himself off a play structure to see if the kid beneath him would run.

They each wore a scared look now, though. "Stupid Joe says we're moving," Gab grumbled.

I gave him a stern look. "We do not use that word," I scolded.

"Sorry," he mumbled.

I let out a sigh and quickly poured the pasta sauce over the pasta I had waiting in a bowl. "I don't know, boys. We'll all talk about it at dinner," I assured them.

As I finished up the dinner I was preparing, I could tell none of them had moved. The pasta sat in the center of the table, surrounded by bowls with fruit and vegetables. I laid out the plates and silverwear along with glasses. Finally, I turned to face them. I crossed my arms as I observed their silent interaction.

Gab scowled and shook his head while Beau flopped his hands around. Kris pursed his lips and shrugged his shoulders. I would never understand how they spoke in their own way. They'd been doing it since they were tiny.

"Want to talk about it?" I asked.

All eyes turned to me again. "I don't wanna move," Kris whispered.

Gab nodded his head in agreement while Beau squirmed around. "What if we don't like the city we move to?" he asked. "What if we move into a forest and there is no one else there?" he demanded.

I rolled my eyes. "Boys-"

"I'm home! Dinner time?" Joseph called out in English as the front door opened and shut.

I gave him a smile. "Yeah, just finished it. Boys, go wash up," I instructed in English. I gave them an encouraging smile, letting them know we would take care of everything.

They all hopped down from the counter and scrambled off to the bathroom, muttering in French. I walked up to Joe and gave him a kiss. "Miss me?" he teased.

I laughed. "Of course," I responded.

We moved into the kitchen to get seated. I poured the boys milk and got us glasses of water to drink. Kris miandered into the room followed by Gab all but plowing through the walls to get to the table. Beau walked in with his business like stride as always. We took our seats and the interogation began.

"Why did you say we were moving?" Beau demanded instantly.

I rolled my eyes and gave Joe a small smile. He cleared his throat awkwardly. "Well... I wanted to talk to you all about that. I've found a better paying place to work at, but it isn't here in Seattle..."

All heads turned to me. "Where is it?" I asked.

Joe shifted in his seat. "Pennsylvania?" he questioned nervously.

I nibbled on my lip as I made my hands busy by serving food. Pennsylvania. That was quite a ways away... It was closer to where I grew up, though. And if I wasn't mistaken...

"Where in Pennelbania?" Gab blurted out, glaring at Joe.

Oh boy. Here it comes. "No! We can't move to Philadelphia!" Kris cried out, almost in tears. "No!"

Beau looked horor strickin. "No! Why would you do that?" he screamed.

Gab stood up, pushing his seat back from him. "You're a meany head! I'm not leaving," he announced triumphantly.

Kris and Beau raced to stand up, as well, and fold their arms over their chests. The sudden action made me want to sit down and groan. Instead, I shook my head. "You three sit down right now. You do not talk like that to adults," I warned them.

They gave me looks that all read 'But mom!" I kept my gaze on them until they all got back on their chairs. Their heads were bent down in defeat.

I looked at Joe, hoping for him to explain. "Actually, boys, you might be happy," he began.

All three heads shot up. Gab was still pouting, though. That boy...

I took my own seat after everyone had their food and the boys' food was all cut up for them. Joe glanced at me, a smile tugging at his lips. "The job is in Pittsburgh. Where the Pe-"

"The Penguins play there!" Beau screamed.

"Beau, you sit down and lower your voice," I reprimanded.

He sat down again, not caring at all that they were wearing on my nerves. They began babbling so quickly to each other that even I got lost in the quick transitions between French and English.

My heart was pounding in my chest. Pittsburgh... Where the Pittsburgh Penguins played... The team that...

"What do you think?" Joe asked me quietly.

My eyes raised to his face. "I, uh..."

"Maman! S'il tu plait?" Beau whined out. His brothers followed in the same chorus, Gab switching to English, though.

I looked back at Joe's begging eyes. I knew he wanted this. He had always wanted to live on the East Coast. My throat was tight, though. I couldn't get out the words. Moving to Pittsburgh was such a big risk...

"I'll be right back. Um, eat your food, boys," I quickly rushed out. I avoided Joe's confused expression as I forced myself to calmly walk up to my room. I picked up my phone, dialed my mother's number, and sat down on the bed.

My hands covered my face as I tried to control my breathing. Pittsburgh? Of all the places in the United States, he got a job offer there?

"Hello?"

"Hey, mama," I began.

"How are you? How are my handsome grandsons doing?" she replied brightly.

I swallowed hard. "Maman..." I began. I didn't want to risk Joe overhearing our conversation, so I switched to the language my mother naturally spoke.

"What's wrong?" she asked immediately.

"Joe got a job offer in Pittsburgh," I whispered. "He wants us all to move there. The boys just found out and they're all jumping off their seats in excitement."

I heard her inhale deeply. "Is that where.." Her question died in the space between us.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure," I whispered back.

She paused for a few seconds. "One moment. Let me look something up." I waited patiently as I heard her typing on her computer's keyboard. A few minutes later, she returned. "The population is big enough that I think you might be able to do it. You could be safe moving there and never running into him."

I rubbed my eyes. "The boys worship that team, though. I don't even know how they found out about them. I've never once talked about the Penguins to them," I muttered. "What if they want to meet him one day?"

"You'll tell them it isn't possible. You tell them you don't have the money or say they have something scheduled at the time," she answered calmly.

We let a silence fall between us for a few minutes. The only sound I processed was my breathing. Was it too big of a risk to move there? What if he found out? Joe would be on the road to furious if he found out I actually did know who the father was, let alone that the three boys he was working to raise as his own worshipped the ground the man walked on. He would hate me for keeping it from him.

But if their father found out... I didn't even want to think about that. My heart ached at the thought of seeing the hurt in his eyes. He was a good man. He would've wanted to raise them like a propper family, not this way. He would hate Joe for trying to take his place.

The boys... Well, I knew where their hearts all stood on it. They hated Joe, plain and simple. No matter what he did, they didn't like him. I'd accepted it as them butting heads with another man in their mother's life. If they found out who their real dad was, they would take his side over Joe's anyday.

"It will be fine, sweet heart. I think you should go," my mom told me gently.

"Will you take us in when everything blows up?" I asked.

She let out a laugh. A smile tugged at my lips. Where would I be without my mother? "I would never turn you four away. Never."

With that reassurance, we said our goodbyes and hung up. I made my way back to the kitchen, only to find the boys talking excitedly between themselves as Joe ate his dinner. "Let's go for it. When would we move?" I asked him with a bright smile.

He gave me a thankful smile back. "This month?" And so it was set.