Father Figure

Thirty-One

My arms wrapped lightly around his as we exited the theater. The cold wind was sending goose bumps all over my exposed skin. I knew I should have brought my jacket inside. Just like my sons, though, I was certain I wouldn't need it. 

"That movie was so creepy," I commented with a smile in my lips. 

He glanced down at me. "You're the one that chose it!" he pointed out with a chuckle. My own laugh followed. "After all those years, you'd think you would realize scary movies and you don't mix well."

I rolled my eyes as I walked closer to the furnace known as Sid. He radiated heat like I couldn't even wrap my head around. He pulled me closer before wrapping his arm around my shoulders. He didn't have a coat either. No wonder our kids were so stubborn about wearing them. "Yeah, maybe. It was nice to watch a movie that the boys wouldn't be interested in, though. The change is refreshing," I told him. 

"I can see that. I've only seen animated movies and children's movies for the last few months," he admitted. "I have to say, though, that one cartoon they watch has some seriously catchy toons."

I laughed loudly at that. "I hate that show so much. I'm always stuck singing those songs at work," I mumbled. 

His arm slowly dropped from my shoulders as he pulled open the door to his car for me. I slid inside, hoping it would be at least a little warmer. However, the cold seats sent a new round of goose bumps all over my skin. I tugged on my jacket before buckling up. 

"I've sung it at practice. You can tell which of the guys have kids because they all know the words and join in," he said with a smirk. "We have sing a long times."

A giggle escaped my lips. I could just imagine him with some of the other guys singing those little kid songs. Sidney hesitated before starting his car. His brown eyes slid over to me. He hesitantly chewed his lip for a moment before speaking. "Do you want to go get ice cream before we pick up the boys?" he asked softly. 

I grinned over at him. "I'd love some ice cream." I would love any reason to stay out with just him longer. The night had been amazing. The only time my smile faded had been during the fucking horrifying movie we'd watched. Even then, when he let me curl into his side, I couldn't help but smile a little. It was nice to be like this with him. It was relaxed and easy compared to when the boys were with us. And Sidney was a great guy. He could make me laugh until my sides burner and make me smile like I'd just won the lottery. I would have compared it to the friendship we had when we were teens, but there was something new added in now. I couldn't exactly put my finger on it or describe it, but there was a different kind of bonding between us (other than having kids). 

He smiled as he drove us to a tiny ice cream shop. It was older and looked like a family business type of place rather than the large scale businesses all over the country. 

"You'll love their ice cream. It's twenty times better than any other kinds," he told me as he opened my door for me. 

I slid out of his SUV, careful not to let my dress ride up in the back. I didn't reply as we walked towards the front doors. I did grin like a fool when his hand slipped into mine and laced our fingers together. It felt right to be like this with him. It felt better than it ever had with my ex or anyone else. 

"Hey! Look who it is!" an older man called out from behind the counter. "Mr. Stanley Cup and Olympic Gold Medalist! What can I get for you?" he asked happily. 

Sidney laughed at the name. "What would you like?" he asked me softly. My eyes flickered over the flavors they offered. There weren't more than fifteen or them. 

"Plain chocolate," I decided. 

"We'll have a chocolate cone and a strawberry cone," Sid told the man. 

The old guy smirked. "On a date?" he asked playfully as he picked up a cone. 

"Yes, sir. This is Nathalie," Sidney introduced. "Nathalie, this is James Wethorford. He's been serving me ice cream since I first got here," he explained. 

James grinned madly. "Also been cheering him on since his first game," he added. "How did you get a hold of this one?" he asked jokingly. 

I blushed slightly. "We were best friends when we were younger. And, um..." I looked to Sidney to see if he wanted to explain. 

"You know my boys, right?" he asked easily with a wide smile. 

James chuckled. "Of course! They're adorable!" he exclaimed. "Never met anyone else other than yourself that liked my strawberry ice cream so much."

Sidney laughed. "This is their mother."

James nearly dropped the ice cream cone he was holding. "You had those little boys?" he asked in shock. I nodded my head slowly, wary of his reaction. "Good Lord, those boys are the cutest things I've ever seen! And they've got more manners than half the adults I serve here!" he exclaimed. "You couldn't have done a better job raising them."

I blushed fiercely. "Thank you. I tried my best."

Sidney's hand lightly squeezed mine. James moved to the register to ring up the total. "Three fifty," he announced. Sidney handed over a ten to pay. James quickly got out the change and handed it back. However, Sidney simply dropped it all in the tip jar before handing me my ice cream. He took his own and smiled to James. 

"Thank you," he told him. 

James nodded his head. "Thank you, too," he responded. 

We walked over to a table and sat down. Instead of letting go of my hand, he rested them on top of the table. "How do you think Marc and Vero are doing?" I asked. 

Sidney smirked. "I'm sure Kris is charming the pants off Vero while Marc is being jealous," he responded. 

I laughed softly. "That boy is head over heels for her..." I mumbled. 

Sidney chuckled. "He'll be devastated when they get married this summer."

I shook my head. "Hopefully he'll lose interest by then. Maybe he'll find a girl in his class to crush on."

"I doubt many kids their age speak French," he said. 

I nodded my head in agreement. "So, I was thinking about their school the other day..." he began slowly. I looked away from my ice cream to him. "You know, Duper's kids go to this French immersion school here... I wasn't sure if you'd thought about that."

I shrugged my shoulders. I'd heard of the school. I'd looked into it a bit, as well. "It's pretty expensive," I mumbled. "Seems like it'd be better to just save that money for college." 

He didn't respond or move. I looked back up at him to see him staring at me with both eyebrows raised. "What?" I mumbled self consciously as I ran my hands over my lips to make sure I didn't have ice cream on them. 

"I can afford it, Nat. It's not a big issue for me," he reminded me. 

I let out a sigh and rested my hands on the table. "It's just... I mean..." I ran a hand through my hair. "It'd be nice to be able to pay for half or something. I don't know..."

He shrugged his shoulders. "We don't have to. I just wasn't sure if you wanted that. I know you want them close to their roots and whatnot," he responded easily. 

I gave him a little smile. I knew he could tell it bothered me slightly, but he dropped it quickly. "Going to tell me what you promised Beau now?" I asked. 

He let out a loud chuckle. "No! I told you, father son confidentiality. I'll tell you later tonight, though," he added softly with a wink. 

My head dropped slightly to hide my blush that erupted at that wink. We kept up the light hearted conversations as we finished our ice cream. I couldn't describe how good it felt to be hanging out with him like this... On a date. 

He was the perfect gentleman as he walked me to my door and closed it behind me. He was always full of manners. That was exactly how I wanted our sons to grow up. The drive to Marc's house was quiet, though. I think both of us were just lost in thoughts about the night. His fingers were laced with mine and resting on my thigh. As his thumb rubbed soft circles against my hand, I smiled. I could get used to this kind of thing with him. It was fun to be out with him. 

We both got out of his car when he parked in front of the big house. His hand found the small of my back as we walked up the path to the front door. Instead of ringing the doorbell, he knocked. 

Moments later, Vero opened the door. She grinned at both of us. "Hey! Come on in," she ushered. "They fell asleep a few hours ago. Marc fell asleep with them."

We laughed as we surveyed the living room. Marc was stretched out across the couch, snoring softly, while Beau and Gab we snuggled up next to him. Kris was curled up in a ball on the love seat with a discarded blanket. "They were good. Didn't make a mess or anything," she assured me. 

I smiled. "Good. Thank you so much," I whispered as I pulled her into a hug. 

She waved it off. "It was fun! Gives us practice for when we decide to have our own kids," she responded. Her smile was glowing. 

I nudged her gently as Sidney moved to pick up Kris first. "Getting ideas before you're even married?" I teased. 

She laughed. "He knows I want kids badly. I'm sure we will shortly after we're married. If he lets me," she added on. 

I smiled as I looked back at Marc. "I have a feeling he'll be more than happy to."

"I hope so," she whispered. 

We made our way over to her fiancé to pick up the other two. I carefully picked up Gab with she pried Beau from Marc's arm. 

Sidney smiled at me as I made my way to the car. "They're going to be too big for me to carry soon," I mumbled as I passed him to Sid. He carefully maneuvered him into the car. 

"Or maybe you just need to lift some weights," he teased. 

I rolled my eyes and lightly smacked him. Vero met us by the car and passed Beau to his father. Sidney repeated the process of buckling in his son. "Thank you again," I told her as I turned to give her another hug. 

"No problem. I want all the details tomorrow," she told me softly as she hugged me. 

"Night, Vero," Sidney told her as she moved to hug him. 

"Night. Have a safe ride home," she told us as we got back into the car. We waved before backing out. 

I glanced to the back where the soft chorus of snores was coming from. "This is nice," I blurted out. 

He glanced over at me with a smile playing on his lips. "It is nice being like an actual family, isn't it?" he agreed. 

I sank back down into my seat. It was an amazing feeling, actually. I wouldn't have traded it for anything. 

"Where are they staying tonight?"

"Your place? Seeing as that's where we're headed and it'd be easier with them," I suggested. 

He nodded his head. "Sounds good. Gives me a reason to eat waffles tomorrow," he commented with a smirk. 

"Oh, so you get to use them as a reason for eating junk food. I see where your priorities lie," I teased. 

"It's just an added bonus." Sidney parked his car shortly after that. I helped him move the boys to their rooms before walking to the front door to go drive myself home. 

He came up beside me. "Tonight was nice," he told me. 

"It was," I agreed. 

His hands were tucked away in his pockets. "Maybe we should go out again sometime? If you want?"

I grinned up at him. "I'd love to."

His brown eyes held mine for a long moment. "About that promise I made Beau..." he began slowly as his hands left his pockets 

"Yeah?" I asked. 

Without any hesitation, one of his hands moved to cup my face while the other rested on my hip. His lips pressed against mine while he moved closer. My hands lifted slightly to grip the sides of his shirt, pulling him even closer. 

In that kiss, I melted. Things felt completely right, like they should have been this was long ago. I could tell he felt the same way in the way he kissed me back. My heart was fluttering just like the butterflies in my stomach. 

Before it could gain anymore heat, he stepped back. He had a lazy smile on his lips. "I'll see you later?" he asked. 

I nodded my head. "Of course." 

He held the door open for me as I walked out, my heart still pounding. When my back was to him I let out a sigh. I hadn't wanted that kiss to end. 

My heels slowly stopped on the stones that made a pathway to the driveway. "You okay?" he called out behind me. 

I inhaled deeply, building up my courage. Just do it, I told myself. 

So I marched right back up to him and pressed my lips to his again.