Father Figure

Thirty-Seven

As we exited the car, the boys all bounced around with excitement. I felt my stomach twist with nerves. This was our first thing as a family. I was praying it would go positively. 

Sidney walked around the car to me. "I forgot to give you something," he told me.  

The boys suddenly grew silent as they watched us. I glanced between them and then back at Sidney. "Yeah?"

He grinned as he reached into his tux pocket and pulled out something I couldn't see. "Turn around," he instructed. 

I frowned in confusion, but did as he told me. I kept my eyes on the boys. They were obviously in on this. And then I felt something cool rest against the skin around my neck. His warm hands rested behind my neck before disappearing. My eyes slowly slid down before my jaw dropped. "Good Lord!" I exclaimed as I lifted the necklace. "Sidney!"

He simply smiled as I gaped at him. "This has to be expensive!" I stared down at the diamond and chain. 

"Do you like it?" he questioned. 

"Well, of course! It's beautiful, but it looks way too-"

"What do you three think?" he asked the boys. 

They all grinned madly. "I like it."

"It's beautiful."

"I like it!"

"Then it's worth it," he decided. My eyes raised to his. He looked so nonchalant about it. 

I let out a sigh. "Thank you. I love it," I told him honestly. 

"I'm glad," he replied happily. I looped my arm through his and we began the small walk to the building.

"It still looks too expensive," I whispered to him. 

He chuckled. "Doesn't really matter, though, does it? A little too late for that."

My stomach filled with butterflies as my hand rested against my chest, my fingers toying with the necklace. It was beautiful. It was probably the nicest thing I owned now. 

We walked into the building and wound our way through the hallways until we got to the large room. Tables were set up all around while people mingled and chatted. Against a far wall was a set up of auction items that the guys had donated, all jerseys and signed things. 

"Nathalie! Sidney!"

I looked over as Vero approached, dragging Marc behind her. "Hey," I greeted quickly before pulling her into a hug. 

"T'at's a nice piece on your neck," she whispered into my ear. 

"All Sidney," I replied. When she pulled back her eyebrows raised in a hinting type of way. She quickly pulled Sidney into a hug before moving to greet each of the boys. 

"How's it going?" Marc asked as he took his turn greeting us. 

"Good! Yourself?" Sid replied. 

Marc smiled widely as he moved to hug me. "Perfect!"

"Miss Vero, do you like our tuxes? We got them yesterday!" Kris told her. 

"I do! You all look so handsome," she replied.  

They did look handsome. And a little too grown up for my taste. Their hair was in place for once and their outfits were nice and classy. They even held themselves nicer when they were all dressed up, which I'm positive they learned from Sidney. 

We talked for a few more minutes to Vero before continuing on. However, she purposely wiggled her eyebrows at me before we all separated. I could feel my cheeks burn ever so slightly. 

Dan approached our small group next. "Look at you three!" he exclaimed as he spotted the boys. He held out his hand for a high five, their usual greeting. 

The boys all grinned and smacked their hands against his. "Daddy took us to get tuxes yesterday!" Kris told him. 

"Good for him! You guys look so good, I bet all the little girls here like you," he teased. 

"Miss Vero already said I look really handsome!" Kris chimed. 

Dan chuckled at that. "She's right, you do!"

"They're going to be stealing the show pretty soon," Sid commented softly by my ear. 

I let out a laugh. "They will if they get the chance," I agreed. 

"Are you guys hungry?" he questioned the boys. 

"Yup!" Beau answered. Gab and Kris both nodded their heads in agreement. 

"Let's go find you guys some dinner then," Sidney decided. 

"Good to see you guys," Dan told us as the boys moved their attention to food. 

"You, too," I told him politely. 

"Yeah, not like I don't see you enough as it is," Sidney joked. Dan simply laughed before heading somewhere else. 

As Sidney began winding his way through the crowd, his hand rested on my lower back. The boys trailer behind us, Gab's hand holding mine so he didn't get lost. Glancing over my shoulder, I noticed he was holding Kris's hand and Beau was connected to Kris. They followed us expectantly like little ducklings.

"What do you guys want to eat?" Sid asked once he reached the set up buffet. The serves all smiled from behind their table. 

"I want chicken," Gab decided. The other two quickly voiced their agreement. 

He began holding out plates to the servers. They placed small pieces of chick on three of the plates. Sidney and I followed the line with our own plates. 

"Thank you!" each of the boys called out as they took their plates to head to a table. I repeated the thank you and began walking with them to the table Sidney had gone ahead to find to fit us all. 

"Excuse me," Beau mumbled as he scooted around Evgeni Malkin. 

Geno glanced behind him and grinned. He suddenly reached down and picked up Beau's roll. Beau gasped and looked up, stopping in his tracks. 

"Thanks for roll," Geno told him teasingly. 

Beau giggled. "Silly Geno!" he exclaimed as he reached up to take the roll back. 

Evgeni laughed and gave me a side hug. "You look pretty," he told me. 

"Thank you. You look quite spiffy yourself," I responded. 

He laughed and let me go. I followed behind the boys to the table their father sat at. I slid into the seat next to him. He sent me a smile that I returned. 

Just as we all began eating, one of Pascal Dupuis's sons ran up. He quickly whispered in Gab's ear before running away just as quickly. 

Gab's face lit up as he looked at us. "Can we go play? Everyone is playing tag!" he begged. 

I glanced at Sidney, wondering if it was acceptable. He nodded his head. "After you're done with your dinner you guys can go with them," he decided. With that, they dug into their food. 

-----

Sidney's hands rested on my waist as we swayed to the music. The boys had run off with the other kids from the team and were in the room next door with a few of the parents. 

"Having fun at all?" he asked, his breath tickling my ear. 

"Of course. How often do I get to dress up and come to big fancy charity events?" I replied. I tightened my arms around his shoulders ever so slightly. 

I turned around when I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I smiled at Pascal. "How do you feel about the boys coming over tonight for a sleep over?" he asked us, his hand lightly rested on my shoulder. 

"Yeah, of course. Are you sure you want to take on three more five year olds?" I asked. 

He waved his hand. "Of course!"

"Then be our guest," I told him. 

He chuckled at that. "You want to grab them some clothes afterwards and drop them off?" he asked Sidney. 

Sid nodded his head. "We'll head out in five or ten minutes?" 

"Sounds good. See you later, Sid, Nathalie," Pascal said. We nodded and he left the dancer floor. 

"One last dance?" Sidney asked as he pulled me closer to him again. 

"I guess I could," I teased. 

He chuckled, sending the soft ripple of it through me. 

As we swayed to the music, I rested my head on his shoulder. He was so warm I could stay there for the rest of the night. 

Vero smirked at me when she caught my eye. She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively at us. I rolled my eyes in response. She continued on, mouthing words and making very sly gestures at me. I rolled my eyes again. She was full of it. 
♠ ♠ ♠
You all will freak out after you read the next chapter. So... Let's hope I get it out soon, eh?