Father Figure

Thirty-Eight

Things never go the way you plan them to. 

I for one knew that saying extremely well. Probably better than most 24 year old women. I mean, I'd slept with my best friend when I was 18, found out I was pregnant, had triplets, moved to the city said best friend was living in, and been cheated on by a guy I thought I'd marry. And of course, I was now in some sort of twisted relationship with that old best friend. 

So waking up in a bed I'd never slept in before in a house I only knew too well shouldn't have shocked me more than anything else I'd been through. However, waking up to a relatively similar situation as six years ago freaked me out. 

-----

"Dan told me earlier today that I'd most likely be able to travel with the team on the next road trip," Sidney informed me as he sat next to me on his couch facing the large windows. 

"So this is a big improvement," I deducted quickly. He nodded his head, his smile growing. "That's great!"

"I won't be able to practice with them or anything, but it's okay for me to go with them at least." He took a sip of his water before setting the bottle down on the cushion next to him. 

"Well, that's great. I'm happy for you," I whispered as I looked over at him. I studied the side of his face. I was really starting to get it bad for him...

Sidney glanced down at me and chuckled softly. "Yes?"

I shrugged my shoulders. He laughed before leaning over to press a kiss to my lips. I retuned the kiss happily. But as we sat there, it lost its innocence. Shortly after that it began to gain heat. And then things just didn't stop.


----- 

His warm arm slid around my lower back before the rest of his body slid closer to my side. My heart pounded in my chest as I stared at the wall across the room. 

We had done it. We had had sex. 

I don't even know what sparked that. We were talking about him going on the trip one minute and the next we're doing the dance with no pants. 

Maybe that was just inevitable with Sidney and me. Maybe it was just some kink in our friendship, ending up together in bed. But we were more than just a friendship now, weren't we? We were something like dating. 

I suppressed my groan. This shouldn't have happened, not so soon at least. It was only bound to cause problems with where our relationship was headed. 

And yet I couldn't bring myself to completely regret last night. 

"Morning," he gruffly mumbled against my shoulder. 

I hummed back. I felt him tense next to me. "Are you okay?" he asked warily. I simply nodded my head in response. He let out a sigh before rolling away. "Nathalie..."

I turned my head to face him. His brown eyes were studying my carefully, trying to pick up on anything at all. "Do you regret-"

"No."

He nodded his head, but he still looked confused. I rolled my body so I was laying on my side, curled up in the blankets on his bed. "This probably wasn't the smartest thing to do," I mumbled out. "We should have at least waited awhile longer or at least waited until we knew we were serious about being a couple or something..."

"Do you not want to be a couple?" he inquired, his dark eyebrows connecting in the middle of his forehead. 

I reached out under the covers to take a hold of his hand. He simply stared at me while I pulled it up so I could watch as I laced my fingers through his. Even though his facial expression didn't move, his fingers did, holding my hand. 

"I think it would be nice to be a couple," I whispered softly as I stared at our hands. "And not just for the boys, for us."

"Then let's be a couple," he decided. 

My eyes flickered up to his. "Do you want to be one?" I questioned. 

He answered as if it wasn't even a question, which in turn made my stomach fill with butterflies. "Of course."

"So you're officially my boyfriend," I mumbled, feeling the smile tug up at my lips. 

He smirked. "And you're officially my girlfriend."

We simply smiled at each other for a moment, taking it all in. "We should mess with Vero and tell her we aren't talking anymore," I mumbled softly. 

He chuckled before reaching to his night stand. He handed me my cellphone. Looking at his nightstand I could see his own cellphone sitting there. I raised an eyebrow at him. "Dupes called earlier this morning asking about when we wanted to get the boys. I figured I'd better grab both just in case they rang. I didn't feel like getting out of bed a second time," he explained. 

I laughed before opening a text to Vero. "Sidney Crosby can eat crap. I hate him. Sound good enough?" I asked as I typed out the words. 

"Sounds great. Want to make bets on how long it takes her to call you up freaking out?" he asked cheekily. 

"Ten bucks says five minutes," I told him. 

"Ten bucks says it's as soon as she reads the message," he countered with a grin. 

I hit send and set the phone down between us. We watched as the screen fell black. When it didn't go off after a minute, he let out a groan. "Whatever..." he mumbled before reaching over underneath the covers to pull me to him. The feel of his warm skin against mine was more inviting than a hot shower on a freezing day. I let my body relax against his, taking in the warmth and comfort it offered up. 

"Guess what?" I whispered against his collar bone as I slowly wrapped my arms around his waist. God he felt amazing to be this close to. 

"What?" he replied as his fingers ran through my hair. 

"She hasn't called yet," I mumbled. 

He let out a loud groan to which I giggled. "Ten bucks," I announced. 

Just then, my phone began ringing. I smirked at Sidney before answering and pressing the speakerphone button. "Hello?"

"What t'e hell did he do? What happened?" Vero demanded angrily. 

"He was a complete ass," I responded. 

Sidney rested his head just above mine on the pillow. "What happened? Are you okay?" she questioned. 

"She's more than okay seeing as she just got to sleep in," Sid commented. 

"Wait what? Is t'at him?" she asked in confusion. 

I let out a giggle when he pressed a kiss under my ear. "Yup."

"Are you two messing wit' me?" 

"Yup. Love you Vero," Sid told her happily. 

"I hate you bot'," she noted. 

We laughed at that. "Tell Marc we love him and we apologize," I told her. 

"Wait, why?" he asked curiously. 

"Because I just ranted to him about how if you hurt Nathalie I would kill you!" Vero exclaimed. 

He chuckled. "Good to know."

"So how did it go, eh?" she asked slyly. 

"Bye, Vero. I'll text you later," I sang out. 

"Holy-" she began before I hung up. 

Sidney laughed as I tossed my phone away from us. "We should probably go get the boys," he commented softly after a moment. His fingers drew lazy patterns on my bare hip. 

I stayed quiet as I studied the pillow. This little bubble of warmth, comfort, and happiness had to burst some time. That was something I should probably be used to. Something always has to happen to ruin a moment. "Yeah," I finally agreed.