Father Figure

Forty-Five

Sidney's Point of View

-----

I didn't want to leave for the game. If Nathalie was still getting sick, I felt bad leaving her alone with the boys. And the fact that she was still sick was eating at me with worry. It couldn't be normal for her to still be getting sick. I had a feeling there were a few times I didn't know about, too. If she got sick at any point after midnight on Saturday, I was driving her to the nearest doctor. 

But as game time got closer and closer, I had to leave. "Be good for your mom, okay?" I told the boys as I hugged and gave them a kiss on the head one by one. "She still doesn't feel good."

"Mama's still sick?" Gab asked sadly. 

I nodded my head. "Yeah. So maybe you guys can pretend to be doctors and make her feel better, eh?" 

They grinned at that idea. "Yeah!" Beau exclaimed. I could see ideas brewing in his mind already. 

"I'll see you guys after the game," I promised. "Love you!"

"I love you, too!" they chorused back. I smiled at that and headed out of the kitchen. 

I stopped at the couch to kiss Nathalie's forehead. "Feel better," I whispered. 

She gave me a tired smile. She'd been curled up on the couch sleeping for almost an hour now. "Have a good game."

"I'll try my hardest. Do I get a prize if I score?" I teased. 

She giggled softly. "You can cash it in after I feel better," she told me softly before kissing my cheek. "Love you," she whispered. 

I grinned like an idiot. "I love you, too." The words were like candy to my ears. Better than candy. 

I kissed her forehead once more before leaving the house. I let out a sigh and began my journey to the CONSOL. Tonight we were playing the Blackhawks and it was bound to be a good game. 

---

"Oh Captain, my Captain!" Fleury yelled out teasingly as I walked into the locker room. "A little late, aren't you?"

I rolled my eyes. "Nat is sick so I was helping the boys," I responded. 

"Nice to see you, Sid," Dan joked. 

I chuckled as everyone else tossed in comments about my tardiness. "So, Nat's sick still?" Flower questioned. 

"Yeah. She threw up all over her ex today after chewing him out," I told him with a smirk. 

Flower let out a loud laugh. "T'at's great!"

"What about Vero? How's she?" I asked. 

He got a shit eating grin on his face at the sound of her name. "She's doing great. We cleared out a guest room to make it into a nursery," he told me. "We're going to paint it yellow."

I smirked. "No Vegas gold?"

He snorted. "I'll leave that to you when you have anot'er kid," he teased. 

I chuckled. "Don't know if that's happening," I admitted. 

"What? Why not? Don't want a little girl or anot'er little boy?" he asked in confusion. 

I shrugged. "What woman wants to settle down and have kids when I've got three already with someone else?" I asked. It wasn't that I didn't want another one with Nathalie, but I liked to stay more reserved about the aspects of our relationship. I didn't want to put so much into it and tell everyone if we might now make it. In my opinion, we had what it might take to make the long run, but if she didn't feel like that, then I didn't want to pressure her or suffocate her with the idea. 

Flower paused in putting on his pads. "What about Nathalie? She can't have any more?"

I laughed softly. "The question is always IF she wants to have more and WHO she wants them with. If she doesn't want to get married and have more, then I won't pressure her towards that."

He snorted. "You sound like a chick. Go eat your peanut butter and jelly sandwich," he instructed. 

I laughed at him and stood up. "I will!"

But even as I went to make my sandwich, the idea of Nathalie and I having another kid didn't leave my mind. We hadn't been together all that long. Hell, it wasn't even May yet. But being with her made it feel like a lot longer than it had been. It felt more serious than most relationships do at this point, most likely because of the boys. And yet I was completely in love with her. I would do anything for her, just to see her happy. And knowing she would be at my house when I got home from a game, felt right. It felt like that was how things should be. 

And she seemed fine with the time I was gone. If I got busy on the road and wasn't able to call, she always understood. She actually probably took it better than I did. I hated myself if I didn't call to at least say hi to the boys. I was their father. I should be around anyways to say that, but I wasn't. 

I groaned as I fell into a chair. I needed to stop thinking about it and get my mind ready for the game. 

-----

As soon as Dan finished talking to us after the game, I pulled my phone out to read the text message from Nathalie. It was a photo of the boys sleeping on the couch, all of them wearing half their hockey gear and the jerseys. I looked down at the caption beneath it. 'They were too tired after the game to make it to their beds. Daddy gets to haul them upstairs when he gets home. :)'

I chuckled and responded. 'Sounds good. You staying over tonight?'

I began stripping out of my gear to go take my shower after that. We had won 5 to 2, Geno scoring twice along with Neal, Staalsy, and myself. I even had two assists. It had been a good game, just like I thought it would be. 

My phone buzzed with a response. 'I think I can since I'm not allowed to go to work tomorrow. Nice goal and assists. ;)'

I smirked to myself. 'Worthy of my prize? ;)'

She responded only seconds later. 'No.'

I couldn't help but chuckle at her smart ass reply. 'Good to know what I do earns me so much. See you when I get home.'

I stared at the message after it sent. I liked those words a lot, "See you when I get home."