Father Figure

Forty-Nine

"You know what? I'm going to chop his dick off," I decided as I slammed my car door shut behind me. "He can be dick-less for the rest of his life. No more unexpected babies then, Crosby!"

Vero rolled her eyes. "How are you two going to-"

"We won't! Because every time we do, I fucking get pregnant!" I snapped. 

Vero started the drive to her house. "Think of the bright side," she tried. 

I glared at her. She let out a laugh and shook her head. "Come on. You said awhile ago you wanted a little girl. And those three boys will treat her like a princess. You know they will. And Sidney is going to spoil her rotten. Can't you just imagine him now? Holding a baby girl dressed in a bright pink dress? She'd have him wrapped around her little finger," Vero said. 

My anger dwindled slightly at the idea. I could picture him holding our baby girl and putting her in small pink dresses. He had that kind of a soft spot in him. 

I let out a heavy breath. "See? It's going to be okay. It'll be better than okay. And he's healthy now, meaning he doesn't have to worry about his head any more. And the boys are getting old enough to understand. It's going to amazing for you," Vero told me. 

"He's still not touching me," I muttered. 

Vero burst into laughter. "We'll see what he thinks about that when he gets back on Tuesday," she retorted. 

"God damnit, I have to tell him... What am I supposed to say? 'Hey, we're having another kid. How was the plane ride home, honey?'" I asked. 

Vero shrugged her shoulders. "We'll come up with an idea. Let's go to Babies R Us for now, though. Maybe we'll find something there."

The drive to the store was quiet at first. Vero tried to keep the mood up with stupid songs and stories. It was hard to relax, though. I had to worry about being pregnant all over again. As if once at 18 wasn't enough. 

But somehow, she got me laughing again. As we walked into the store, I instantly melted. "Vero..." I began softly. She looked over at me expectantly. Her eyes slowly followed mine to a rack of little girls' clothes. 

"Let's go check it out!" she decided and pulled me over. She thumbed through the dresses breezily where as I took my time. I gingerly lifted the first one. It was pink with hints of like green around it. On the front was a bumble bee, smiling brightly. Along the trim at the bottom and on the sleeves was white lace. 

"Hey, do you think if I handed him this, he'd figure it out?" I asked. 

Vero stepped up next to me. "That is adorable. Let's keep looking at other ones, though. I'm sure we can find one to kick him in the gut," she joked. 

I put the dress back and followed her around. She picked up a few boy outfits she liked along the way. "What if we got one made that said 'My daddy's a Penguin!' on the front and his number on the back? Think it's a bit much?" she questioned. 

I let out a laugh. "Just a little." I circled a rack of clothing and picked up a simple, pink dress. It was as girly as it could be, but the sweet girly. 

"That is it," Vero announced. I looked up to see her pointing at the dress. "That is the one you should give him. Do you like it?" she questioned. 

"Of course," I blurted out. And I really did. Holding it in my hands made it all seem a little more real now. I was having a baby girl.