Our Minor Mistake

A surprise visit

3 months later

The past three months had been busy. My work at the hotel had me rushed off my feet so much that I barely noticed how much I was growing. My stomach had swollen to the size of a football and my feet and boobs had swollen. . Aunt Cora said that I was big for five months. My back hurt a lot but I barely noticed as I was so happy. It was great to be independent and not to have to worry about school. I was earning my own money and starting my own life with my baby. I couldn’t wait till it was born.

Everyone round at Cora’s was really nice and they treated me like royalty even Tom did somewhat reluctantly.

Today was a Saturday and I was watching T4. It was a nice October morning and the scarbourgh tourist season was over making the town quieter. There was a knock at the door. I waited a few minutes until I realized I was the only one at home. Cora and Billy had taken Nana shopping and Emma and Tom where at work.

I sigh and heave myself off the sofa and answer the door. When the open the door I almost jump at the sight, it was a slightly chubbier but otherwise unchanged Dan Harper. ‘’Dan’’ I exclaimed.

‘’Wha-, how- what are you doing here?’’ I stutter.

‘’It’s really nice to see you too Elizabeth’’ he said smirking slightly.

‘’Sorry I’m just surprised to see you here, how did you find me?’’ I ask grinning. A horrible guilty feeling crept over me. I haven’t thought about Dan at all.

‘’Laura told me you might be here because you had family here, she really misses you she has no one to hang out with at school now’’ he said.

I sigh feeling guilty but quite frankly I have more to worry about than whether or not Laura had someone to hang out with. Laura was always immature and boring which is why she never really had any other friends.

‘’I’ll call her at some point’’ I said quietly. ‘’So what are you doing here?’’ I ask curiously.
‘’Cos, I miss you, we all do’’ was his reply. I have to admit to feel a little bit shocked. I hadn’t really thought about anyone missing me. ‘’You just vanished with no trace and didn’t tell anyone where you were’’ he said softly.

‘’It wasn’t anyone’s business’’ I say my eyes finding the floor. I was feeling slightly guilty for abandoning everyone.

‘’It was my business, you’re having my child Elizabeth and what about your parents, your mum hasn’t left her house since you left’’ he said, the tone in his voice rising slightly. ‘’You never think about anyone else but yourself’’

Guilt hit me suddenly. I hadn’t even thought about my parents. I had just seen my mum as a horrible, mean dictator rather than someone who cared about me. I was sure that if I’d have talked to my parents that they’d have calmed down and accepted me and the baby. And then there was Dan. I had completely pushed all thought of the father out of my head because of the whole Dan and Ben thing.

‘’Sorry’’ I mumble blushing. I have no idea what to say to that and tears well up in my eyes. Dan starts to look more and more sheepish. ‘’I’m going to be the worst mother in the world’’ I say the tears spilling down my cheeks.

Dan puts his arm round me and I cry into his shoulder. ‘’Elizabeth you’re going to be a great mum’’ he said.

‘’No I’m not, I’m selfish and mean and I have a horrible temper and I’m really irresponsible’’ I say the last word barely recognisable through the tears.

‘’Yeah, but can you imagine if our kid is getting bullied? You will never let that kid get away with it.’’ He said although I can tell he is clutching at straws. ‘’Our baby will never misbehave because you just won’t let it’’ he adds. ‘’The baby is going to respect you and listen to you because as well as being stubborn and having a temper you can be really caring but you can be stubborn and you will never let things go’’ he said. ‘’You’re also fiercely protective, you’re like a lioness with cubs and the baby is going to have the coolest mum ever’’ he said still slightly sheepishly. ‘’And even if you struggle I’ll be there and we’ll work though it together and I don’t care how hard it gets we’ll make it through’’ he said holding me tight. He was right. We would get through it.

I smile through my tears, all my doubts about Dan had gone. ‘’You’re going to be a great father’’ I says hugging him. It was true Dan was caring and sweet and he was great at making people feel better.

The door opened and Cora walks in. ‘’Cora, this is Dan’’ I say.

‘’is he the father?’’ she asks stonily. I nod and stand up.

‘’How come I haven’t met you till now?’’ she says her normal soft blue eyes cold.

‘’I had no idea where Elizabeth was and I tried to get in contact with her for ages but she didn’t answer her texts’’ he says obviously terrified of Cora. ‘’But I assure you I’m going to be there for Elizabeth and the baby every step of the way and it kills me that I wasn’t there for the first bit’’ he says.

Aunt Cora’s eyes softened. ‘’How did you find such a good boy?’’ she asks me and tears spill down my face again. I am so glad that Cora has accepted Dan.

‘’You can stay here if you like, we have a spare room’’ she offers.

‘’No my parents would never let me, my dad is already annoyed enough’’ he said. ‘’I’ll come down here every weekend though’’ he said. Now everything would fall into place. Apart from Dan might not be the dad but I decide not to mention that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe :)