Our Minor Mistake

Realisation

I wake up to the small of fresh laundry and the sound of a baby crying. I guess I’d better get used to that. I get out of the thick duvet and shiver as the first thing I notice is its bitterly cold. I pull on a dressing gown that’s hanging on the back of the door and walk downstairs.

In the living room Jenn is surrounded by three children. One of them looks about two and is taking toys out of the wicker basket and scattering them around. She is a little girl in a blue dungarees and stripy pink t-shirt. What looks like the oldest small child is trying to reach a cookie off the mantel piece. He is a small, plump, what looks like four year, boy wearing a shirt and jeans. The youngest is only a baby and Jenn has him on her him. Claude is sitting at the table eating.

Jenn turns and notices me. ‘’Hey sweetie, these are my young ones Luke, Bella and Joe’’ she said pointing to her children in age order. ‘’Would you like some breakfast dear?’’ she asks smiling at me. I nod and she walks towards the kitchen and puts the bread in the toaster.

After my toast I jump in the shower and then change back into my clothes from yesterday. I plan on going back to Cora’s after work but there was no time before I had to be at the hotel.

We get the bus to hotel and I ask Rebecca if I can borrow another shirt from the stock cupboard. She agrees and lets me borrow one. She is giving me dirty look and I wonder why but then I realise that she was at the party as well and she knows everything. I try and avoid her for the rest of the day.

The work day is pretty quiet and no one came to the hotel until just after lunch when a girl about my age turned up. ‘’Hi, Can I help you?’’ I ask her.

‘’Yeah I’m looking for Claude’’ she says leading on the desk. This disorientated me a little. Just then Claude walked out of the back and spots the girl. He smiles at her. A smile I haven’t seen him give anyone. Loving, kind and romantic.

‘’Hey you’’ said the girl turning away from me to face Claude.

‘’Hey Sara’’ he says wrapping his arms round her. He’s slightly taller than her, they looked sweet together. She stands on her tiptoes and kisses him.

I felt something that I haven’t felt since Cleo Redwood started flirting with Dan. Jealousy! I shook my head slightly but the feeling of jealousy wouldn’t escape me. Maybe it was just because Sara could do what she wanted. She could go out with anyone she wanted, kiss anyone she wanted. Even Claude. Plus she was really pretty in a Goth sort of way.

She had long, curly bubble-gum pink hair which came to about her waist. She was pale with deep red lipstick and thick eyeliner. She wore black stripy tank top and black shorts with red braces. Her leather lace up boots came to her knees and she wore a black leather jacket to her ankles.

Then again maybe it was because I liked Claude. He had been really nice to me, he was kind of good looking. His brown hair kind of hung into his brown eyes, those deep, chocolate brown eyes with long lashes. He kept flicking his hair out of them. The way he looked at me was always full of emotion be it happiness or worry and there was on emotion that was never present in his eyes. Anger. He always seemed patient and kind. Dammit, maybe I did like him. Just a tad. I couldn’t do anything about it though. Not only was I five month pregnant but he had a girlfriend.

Then I realise that I would not have a date for years. I had no chance with any boy when I was this huge and as soon as the baby comes I’ll be used good and I’ll have extra baggage. Suddenly I feel trapped.

‘’Elizabeth’’

I jump, suddenly realising that Claude has been trying to get my attention for at least five minutes. ‘’I’m sorry, what?’’ I say looking at him.

‘’I’m just going for lunch okay?’’ he says looking half worried and half desperate to leave.

‘’Yeah whatever I think I might go home, I’m not feeling to good’’ I lie.

‘’Are you okay?’’ he asks concern filling those brown eyes. I try to nod.

‘’Don’t be silly I’m fine’’ I say as tears start to fill my eyes.

I grab my bag and rush out before anyone could stop me. I take the bus home and tentatively open the door. I hear footsteps in the hallway as soon as I open the door and Aunt Cora flies down the hallways and pulls me into a huge hug. ‘’Oh thank god Elizabeth we thought you’d been taken.’’ She notices the tears in my eyes and holds me by the chin. ‘’Whatever’s the matter dear?’’ she asks. I shake my head meaning nothing.

‘’Where did you go?’’ she asks hugging me again.

‘’Just to stay with Claude for the night. I couldn’t face you all’’ I say laying my head on her shoulder as she leads me into the living room and makes me a cup of tea. I see that most of the people had gone. There just Billy, Nana, Jennifer and Tom. They all give me a weak smile. ‘’For god’s sake Elizabeth will you open your bloody presents?’’ says Jennifer pointing to the big pile of shiny presents in the corner.

My tears suddenly become a huge grin. I was always a sucker for presents. I open the gifts. I get a huge crib from Aunt Cora and Uncle Billy. A mosses’ basket from Jennifer and Ryan, a high chair from Tom and all his friends, then there was a changing table from everyone at the bell hotel and a whole heap of baby clothes and teddies from the people at school. Then my mother got me a real delicate crucifix for the baby to wear when she’s older and a cheque for £200. I also got a collective £3000 pounds from nana, the Rothwell’s and the rest of our family who couldn’t make it. By the end of it there are more tears but this time tears of joy.