I'll Hum Along

Visit From the Parents

Life got kind of hectic after that. Marianas Trench went on their Australian tour just as my daughter was learning that if she screamed loud enough, someone will eventually pick her up. I was completely stressed out by it, but I was so thankful Joshes parents were around to help. And I was even more thankful that my parents were moving Vancouver. My mom told me she felt like she wasn’t really in her grandchildren’s lives (the last time she had seen any of them was mine and Joshes wedding) and she said if Joshes parents weren’t around to look after the kids if both he and I were gone, there would always be my mom. I told her she couldn’t move down here, and my mom, being her sassy self (and we wonder where Airin got it from), said, “Too bad! We already bought a place down there!” I couldn’t exactly fight my mom on it. Once she made up her mind, she stuck to it. I think that’s where I got it from. My dad and Airin were definitely indecisive. They weren’t moving up right away, but they were coming up to Vancouver to actually see it in person, and visit me and the kids.

It was a Sunday afternoon, Finley was outside in the back yard playing, and the twins were on the floor in front of me, playing with, or fighting over, something. I watched the two of them for a moment, holding in a laugh when Autumn whacked Kodiak over the head with a rattle. They reminded me a lot of Airin and myself. There was a knock at the door so I abandoned my book and walked over to it. I opened the door, and no one was there.

“Hello?” I called out. Maybe I was hearing things. I went to close the door, but a teddy bear appeared in front of my face.

“Hello miss. Is my daughter home?” a ridiculous voice, one you’d hear in a Mickey Mouse cartoon. My dad stepped out with a huge grin on his face. I rolled my eyes and bent down to eye level with the bear.

“I don’t know about your daughter, Mr. Bear, but the idiot holding you...his daughter is here.” I looked at my dad and smiled as he pouted. We both laughed and hugged each other for a while. My dad held me out at arm’s length, giving me a smile. “Where’s mum?” I asked.

“She’s right here.” I saw my mom walk up the stairs. I rushed over to her and hugged her before she could even set down her bag. My mom chuckled, dropping her bag onto the porch. My mom let go and I got a good look at her. Her age was starting to show. My mom had always been a youthful looking person, but she was in her late forties, so it was starting to catch up to her. “Oh, dear, you look tired.” She told me.

“Wouldn’t you be with three children and no husband?” I asked.

“Sweetheart, I managed just fine with two and no husband.” My mom winked at me, and dad frowned. I smiled and let my parents in, telling them I was going to get Finley. As I walked into the kitchen to go outside, I heard my mom coo over the twins, noting how big they had gotten.

“They’re a year old, dear. They tend to get that size.” My dad commented. I only laughed and shook my head. I opened the glass door to the back porch, seeing Finley throwing a ball around for Bennie.

“Fin, your grandparents are here!” I called out. Finley dropped the ball in his hand, and Bennie tilted her head at him.

“Oh boy!” Finley exclaimed, running into the house. Bennie came bolting after him. I grabbed onto the dogs collar, not wanting to have her run into something from excitement.

“Why did Josh have to get a dog?” I said while wrestling against her. Bennie calmed down so I let her go, and she trotted into the house. I rolled my eyes and closed the door behind me.

The twins had become pretty attached to my dad. Autumn enjoyed his strange “cartoon voices” he did, while Kodiak enjoyed his strange faces. Finley liked spending more time with my mom for some reason, but, then again, he always did.

I was having tea with my mom in the kitchen, talking about my parents move up to Vancouver. “I thought you wanted to get away from the busy city life?” I asked, sipping at my cup.

“I am. I’m getting too old for it. But, I want to know my grandkids.” Mom told me.

“You do know them.”

“Oh, I know that, but I meant I want to watch them grow up. I barely know Duncan and Kaylee.” Mom said, looking down at her cup. She went to stand up to put her cup away, but I stopped her.

“No, let me get it.” I said, starting to stand up. My mom went to protest, but I waved a hand. “You’re a guest. And if you’re a guest in my house, you sit your ass down.” I said, making her laugh. I smiled and grabbed her cup and mine, and walked over to the sink. A weird pain shot through my stomach, and it made me stop suddenly. My mom caught this.

“Are you alright sweetheart?” she asked. I nodded slightly.

That was weird, I thought. “I’m fine, mum.” I reassured her. I took a few more steps towards the sink, and the pain shot through again. This time, I dropped the cups onto the floor. I doubled over, clutching my stomach. There was a scraping of chair legs on the floor, and soon my mom’s hand was pressed against my back.

“Josline, what’s wrong?” she asked.

I shook my head at her, “I don’t know.” I said. As the words left my mouth, I felt as if I was going to throw up, or pass out. I started to feel dizzy, so I dropped onto my knees. My mom yelled for my dad. I didn’t know what the hell was wrong with me.

“I waited five hours just to be told my appendix was acting up and needed to be removed?” I grumbled as my mom helped me to her car. I had to stay in the hospital overnight.

“Just be glad you’re okay.” My mom said. I made a face, but she didn’t see it. Mom opened to door to the car and helped me inside, and it hurt like a son of a bitch. The doctor’s said it was caused by a stomach infection that got into my intestines and appendix. My mom got into the driver’s seat, starting the car up. “Just be glad it wasn’t something more serious.” I looked over at her with still groggy eyes, and my mom only smiled. She knew that look; it was the “shut up and take me home so I can nap” look. “You haven’t called your husband, have you?”

“I don’t know what fucking time it is in Australia.” I mumbled.

“Don’t you get snippy with me. Just because you had surgery doesn’t mean you can be a drama queen.” Mom said. I apologized. “Your father is enough of a drama queen for this whole family. I smiled lightly at her comment. I was very true.

I pulled out my phone and texted Josh to call me as soon as he got the message. I just put my phone in my pocket when it started ringing. “Hi sweetie.” I said with a yawn.

“Hey babe. What’s up? Why the emergency text?” He asked. A semi-truck drive past my mom’s car as we drove down the freeway, it’s loud horn blasting. “What the hell? Where are you?”

“I’m in my mum’s car on the freeway.” I explained.

“Why are you there?” Josh asked.

“Because I just got out of the hospital.”

“What?” Josh exclaimed. “Why were you in the hospital? Is everything okay? What happened?”

“Calm down Josh.” I said in a tired voice. “My appendix decided to be an asshole and cause me problems. I had surgery last night and spent the night in the hospital. It’s not a big deal.”

“Not a big deal?” Josh exclaimed again. I could just picture him looking frantic, flailing his arms about. “Josline, you had surgery! It’s a big deal.”

“I’m fine though.” I mumbled.

“Do you need me to come home?” Josh asked.

“No, no. My parents are here, and…” I said, but Josh cut me off by saying something so incoherent I couldn’t understand. My mom told me quietly to put my phone on speaker. I did and held my phone towards my mom.

“Josh, sweetie?” My mom spoke to him.

“Chloe?” Josh asked.

“No, it’s your conscience. Of course it’s Chloe.” My mom said, and I chuckled. “Everything is going to be okay. You do not have to come home; Josline is in good hands.” Mom explained to him.

“But, she…” Josh started, but my mom interrupted him.

“Look, mister. She may be your wife, but she’s my daughter, and I raised her. I know if she’s going to be okay or not.” Mom said. It wasn’t patronizing or mean, but Josh shut up. “You stay there, in Australia. I’ll make sure that my son-in-law comes home to a happy, healthy wife.”

“Thank you Chloe.” Josh said. I smiled at my mom. She always was very convincing. And knowing my mom, she was going to be watching me like a hawk, so I definitely would get better in her care.