You're a Regular Decorated Emergency

Chapter FiftySeven

I didn't dare move a muscle. Beside me, Ryan was opening and closing his mouth, at a total loss for words. I pressed my ear harder against the door, but there was no sound.
Maybe she was just kidding, maybe she had that twisted sense of humor.

The door opened suddenly. Me and Ryan stumbled forward, losing our balance. My eyes met hers, blue to brown. She had a small smile on her face and her eyes were soft and guarded. Through the innocent caricature, though, I could sense something else. The undertones of a triumphant jeer.
She had won, and she knew it. Even if that meant getting knocked up, everything was worth it to her, because she got the greatest prize in the world, the heart of someone so astoundingly important in my life.

I grabbed Ryan's arm for support, or else I would have probably fallen to the floor by now. Brendon slowly walked forward and stopped just behind Kat's shoulder, staring down at his upturned hands.

I reached forward involuntarily for his hand. Kat swatted my hand away and firmly gripped his hand instead.

"So, I suppose you guys overheard that," Kat started. "Its true, I'm pregnant. And I'll be moving in here right away. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, Alexis, but since I'm going to be living here, I don't think its a good idea you came back. Don't expect any phone calls or visits either. Sorry." Kate finally broke through her fake charade and sneered at me.

I really wanted to roll my eyes and retort back, but my mind was sluggish in the aftermath of shock. I took a deep breath and leaned around Kat, locking eyes with my best friend.

Brendon stared back at me, looking so upset and helpless, it tore at my heart. He was obviously torn between two emotions, his beautiful face blank and desperate at the same time.

Kat pushed past Ryan and I, banging hard into my shoulder. Brendon followed her like a dog on a leash, still staring over his shoulder at me.

"We're gunna go pack some of my stuff to bring over here. Alexis, you better be gone when we're back." Kat sang happily.

I wanted to scream at him to come back, to tell him Kat wasn't the right girl for him. I wanted desperately for him to know how I feel, but I knew it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever. No matter how hard I cried or how loud I screamed. Brendon would never leave her now. They're having a goddamn child together.

"No, wait." I stuttered, taking a step forward and reaching out an arm childishly.
Pain struck across Brendon's face. "I'm sorry, Lexie." he whispered, disappearing behind the door.

My breathing hitched and I didn't know what to do. This wasn't how this day was supposed to go. I was supposed to come over and play board games. This wasn't supposed to happen today. This wasn't supposed to happen at all.

I turned slowly to Ryan, my eyes flicking in and out of focus. "What.....w-what just happened?"

Ryan shook his head, returning my gaze. "I have no fucking idea."
I nodded as if accepting the answer, sitting crossed legged on the floor. I put my face in my hands and rolled onto my back.

This is what getting your heart broken must feel like.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry its so short, if i get a lot of comments i'll update very soon :]

510 readers, 84 subscribers, and 290 comments.
this makes me so happy and motivated, you dont even know. thank you all so much :]

i know its horrible, but keeping reading because its not over yet ! XD