Sequel: CSI: Across the Pond

Gerard Way: Crime Scene Investigator

Chapter 11

“I haven’t killed anyone.” Bob turned the sheet of paper around so the man could read it.

“That’s not what the evidence says. Your hands tested positive for gunshot residue, and you stayed a night in the Mediterranean downtown. You kept the gun there in case the next day’s deal didn’t work out.” The man leaned back in his chair and laced his fingers.

“So I shot a gun and some guy bit the dust. Doesn’t mean I did it.” Bob almost smacked himself in the face.

“You’re only digging yourself in deeper by lying to me.” Gerard watched the interrogation from the other side of a two-way mirror. The questioning room was one of the few things left intact from the explosion.

The explosion...

Gerard realized he hadn’t even thought about it since mentioning it to the rich drug smuggler. He contemplated calling the hospital to see how Frank was doing, but he quickly shook the thought from his mind. Even if he could somehow talk to Frank, there was no way his partner would let him get away from an investigation to do so. He would want proof that they were at least getting somewhere, and he would be even happier if they had found the guy responsible.

Gerard refused to let his best friend down.

“Gerard, I found the strangest thing,” said Mikey, walking over to his brother.

“What?”

“This survived the blast.” He held up a small plastic bag containing a white crystal. Gerard took it in one hand and looked at it carefully.

“Looks like methamphetamine, but I haven’t been able to run any tests on it just yet,” said Mikey. “I’ll be happy when our lab is up and running again.”

“It’s not meth, Mike. It’s an uncut diamond. I can’t believe you didn’t see that.” Mikey took it back from him and placed it back in its small plastic bag.

“We’ll worry about this later. Why don’t you come with me to go visit Frank? I’m sure he’ll be happy to see you.” Gerard shook his head without taking his eyes off the ghost of his own reflection in the window.

“He won’t want me to come back empty-handed.”

“Imagine how he’s going to feel if you don’t visit him.” There was silence between them for a second as Gerard thought about his brother’s words. He opened the door to the room before him and told Bob he was leaving, then left the lab with Mikey.

“It’s not like we haven’t made any progress, Gee,” said Mikey as he drove down the rain-slicked road. “This guy is most likely our shooter.”

“Don’t jump to conclusions, Mike. You never know what can show up at a crime scene.”

“That’s true.”

Gerard had been through a lot in his years as a CSI. But one thing he always had trouble handling was the hospital.

Mikey placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, receiving the wide-eyed look of a fearful child in return. They both stepped out of the car slowly and proceeded through the glass doors at the front of the hospital.

“Can I help you?” asked the secretary. Gerard and Mikey showed her their badges. It never hurt to get some priority in situations like this.

“Yes, we’re looking for Investigator Frank Iero, could you find out where he is right now?” the senior investigator asked, sounding less cold than usual. Mikey knew that tone; he was terrified.

“Certainly...our database says he should be in the burn unit, it’s just down that hallway, take your third left and first right.” They thanked her and proceeded down the bleached halls, both of them silent. Gerard’s heart sank with each step. By the time they reached the waiting room, he had to sit down before he fell down. He was shaking.

“They said he’s in intensive care right now. They...just finished removing the dead skin,” Mikey said tentatively. The words hit Gerard like a lead weight. That was probably the worst part of being burned. “They said he’s awake but still a little sleepy. He should be fine in about five minutes, so then we can go talk to him.”

Gerard nodded and leaned back against the wall as he thought about the case. They were missing something, but he couldn’t think of what it might be. Never before had they encountered a smuggling ring on such a large scale. None of this was making any sense to him. And there was no reason for an uncut diamond to be part of a bomb, at least not one he could think of.

“Gee?” Mikey said softly, breaking him out of his thoughts. He looked up at his brother, who motioned for him to follow, and abruptly stood up. They found the hospital room and tentatively stepped inside.

Frank was sitting up, propped against several pillows. The two investigators walked over to him. The right side of his face was covered by his hair. He was staring out the window next to him, breathing slowly.

“Frank?” said Gerard. His friend didn’t move, but he did speak.

“Hey, Gee,” he said listlessly. His voice was so hoarse that it sounded like someone else entirely.

“It’s good to see you,” Gerard offered.

“I wish I could say the same.” The magnitude of his words was staggering. He had to be able to see, he just had to. “There’s light in front of me. I can tell that much.”

“Frank, something else seems wrong,” said Mikey suspiciously. Frank sighed very softly.

“They wouldn’t tell me exactly what happened, but I can guess. The acid ate completely through the right side of my neck. It damaged my vocal and spinal chords.” He took a shuddering breath. “I told you I wasn’t going to be okay.” Gerard was doing everything in his power not to cry. This was much worse than he had imagined.

“Luckily, it didn’t get into my ear. My hearing seems to be alright. If it hadn’t been for you, Gerard, I might not have even that luxury. Thanks.” Gerard exhaled slowly. At least one positive thing had come out of this.

“Don’t give up yet, Frank.” It was all he could say.

“Gee, I want you to get back on that case. And don’t forget to sleep every few days.”