Sequel: CSI: Across the Pond

Gerard Way: Crime Scene Investigator

Chapter 12

Gerard’s cell phone rang, and he quietly answered it.

“Hello?...yes, this is Senior Investigator Way...oh, that’s right. I almost forgot...My lab is involved in a situation at the moment, could we do this another time?...yes, that would work...thank you.” He slid the phone back into his pocket.

“Who was that?” asked Frank weakly. His voice was losing tone with every word.

“The ICSIA’s publicity department was asking for an interview. It was in the letter they sent us when we got the award...I completely forgot about it.”

“It’s not like you’ve had any free time recently,” said Mikey. “We’ve all been through a lot in the past two days.” Gerard’s phone rang again. He looked at the number, not recognizing it immediately, and hesitantly answered it.

“Hello?...Yes, we’re currently working on his case-” He stopped, listening intently to the frightened woman’s words. “No, you can’t send it to us. Just wait a few minutes; I’m on my way.” He snapped the phone shut and glanced at Mikey.

“What’s the problem?” his younger brother asked. He looked at Frank once again, sadness filling his heart. He hated seeing his friend so weak and defenseless like this.

“We have to go, Frank,” he said solemnly. His partner let out a stiff laugh.

“Then what the hell are you still doing here?”
-
Gerard had never been happier to have police lights on his car than today. He nearly floored the accelerator the entire trip, cutting off at least ten minutes. He knew they couldn’t waste any time. Mikey sat back in his seat and hummed nervously, trying to ignore the fact that a crash at this speed would no doubt be lethal.

When they reached their destination, the two investigators leapt out of the car and raced inside. It was a quaint, cheery house on the outside, but Mikey had a sickening feeling that whatever they were there for was anything but good. He was right.

Gerard read over the sheet of paper the woman handed him, more anger flaring in his eyes with each passing second. He kept a calm composure on the outside, however, knowing that now wasn’t the time to lose it.

“When was he taken?” the senior investigator asked.

“Not more than an hour ago,” replied Brian’s new foster mother with tears in her eyes. “You have to find him.”

“We will find him,” Mikey said with determination.

“They’re requesting one million in cash in an hour. How do you propose we meet this deadline, Mike?” Just then, Gerard’s phone rang once again. He swiftly answered it.

“Hello?”

“Way.” His face turned dark instantaneously. Now it was personal.

“You.”

“That’s right. You couldn’t lock me up last time, and you won’t this time. In fact, you never will.” He could almost hear the confident smirk in the voice.

“Where’s the kid, Matt?” he asked, struggling to keep his voice even. The man on the other end began laughing.

“Now, now, Lieutenant, where are your manners? That’s no way to greet an old friend.”

“Leave him out of this, Matt. This is between you and me.” Mikey caught the expression on his brother’s face and almost began to back away. This was serious.

“I’ve been watching you, Way. Every move you’ve made has been part of my plan. Every piece of evidence you’ve found, every person you’ve spoken to- they all belong to me.” His heart began to sink. He knew where this was going. “I think there’s someone here you might want to talk to, Way.”

“Matt!” Gerard shouted into the phone. He was able to control the rage in his voice no longer.

“H-hello?” asked a feeble, slightly raspy voice.

“Brian? Is that you?” he asked in a rushed tone, allowing his anger to leave him momentarily. The child’s mother inhaled sharply. He was still alive.

“Ah, ah, ah, not yet, Lieutenant. Not until we’ve had a proper meeting.” Gerard’s upper lip curled into an angry sneer. He hated this.

“Where am I supposed to come up with a million in cash?”

“I’m having it wired directly into your bank account. Meet me in front of the Mediterranean after you get the cash. And don’t bring any of your little staff members, or the kid dies.”

The line went silent. Gerard snapped his phone shut.

“We’re going to get this sorted out. You’d be better off staying here for a while until I contact you again,” he said to the frightened mother. He took Mikey and abruptly walked out the front door. They had more driving to do.