Sequel: CSI: Across the Pond

Gerard Way: Crime Scene Investigator

Chapter 16

Gerard didn’t look up, even though he clearly heard the door to the lab opening. He had just finished laying out the order of events in this case, and didn’t want any interruptions. Three hours of work was not about to go to waste.

He already had everything numbered. The problem was getting it back in order.

“Need some help with that?” His head snapped up. He stared at the figure lazily leaning against the door’s frame. Hair was combed in front of one side of his face, but the voice and demeanor were clearly recognizable.

“Frank?” The man nodded.

“Feels good to be back in the field. I had to get my scorpion tattoo redone, and go heavy on the makeup, but other than that, I don’t think there’s much of a difference.” Gerard briskly walked around the counter and over to his best friend.

“What about your face?” Frank pushed the dark locks away from his face, plastering them against the top of his forehead. Gerard’s face fell.

The scar was still there, as fresh and painful-looking as the day it had been seared into his friend’s skin.

“I’m not allowed to touch it until the tissue heals over. A year minimum.” He let the hair fall back into his face.

“Frankie!” Frank turned and was instantly caught in an embrace.

“It’s nice to see you too, Mikey. Now can you let me breathe?” Mikey laughed and let go.

“Sorry. I can’t believe you were released so soon!”

“You should know by now that you can’t get rid of me that easily.”

“Hey Bob! Guess who’s back,” Mikey called, running down the hall. Gerard couldn’t help but laugh at his brother’s antics. He filed everything on the counter away for later and followed Frank down the hall.

The A/V analyst halted at his boss’s office and went inside. Gerard watched him as he examined the award their team had received so long ago. There were two photos hanging on either side of it on the wall. The one on the left showed the five of them. Ray and Mikey wore their lab coats (Mikey could look professional when he would so choose), while himself, Bob, and Gerard wore their vests. They all looked serious. Seriously bored.

The other was taken not long after. Frank had stolen Gerard’s left shoe right off of his foot, causing the senior investigator to do a faceplant into his brother, and tossed it at the camera. Mikey in turn had tackled Ray, and Bob was rolling his eyes with a look that said ‘Here we go again.’ They had all signed it in different colored Sharpies, fighting about who would get the red one. Ray beat everyone at rock, paper, scissors for that one.

“I remember this. The ICSIA wanted our pictures. So we sent them a fake one and a real one.” Gerard laughed, but his face quickly became serious.

“Frank, I’m truly sorry about what happened to you. I can’t believe we didn’t realize it was Matt sooner...I can’t believe I didn’t do anything to protect you...I can’t-”

“And I can’t believe you won’t shut up! It’s okay, Gee; none of this was your fault. It’s the result of a freak being a freak. He was the one who sent me through hell and back, not you. Don’t worry about me; I’m okay.” He smiled at his best friend for a moment. “And now, I have a very important question for you,” he said seriously before a smirk overtook his eyes.

“Are you going to finish that pizza?”

“Rock, paper, scissors for it?” Gerard asked with an unconcealed laugh. Frank nodded, and the contest began. Gerard ended up losing the piece of cheese-covered goodness to his friend, who happily chowed down on the day-old snack, but he didn’t care.

It was good to have his best friend back.
-
The End.
Sequel is up. Go read it.