Sequel: CSI: Across the Pond

Gerard Way: Crime Scene Investigator

Chapter 6

“Really,” said Frank in disbelief. Gerard nodded.

“Dad stabbed Mom, Mom shot Dad.”

“So now we need to find out if one of them killed our first vic, and why this fight didn’t end with the usual tears and tissues.” Gerard smiled at the comment. Frank was always ready with a quip.

“Exactly. Bob’s running ballistics on the gun now, but it’s only a handgun. We need to find the one that killed our first vic.”

“Is it back to square one?” Frank asked. Gerard placed the knife back in its evidence bag.

“It’s back to square one.”

They drove back to the hotel and spoke with the manager.

“Has anything been left behind in this particular room recently?” asked Gerard, removing his sunglasses. The woman retreated behind the front desk and searched through a leather-bound book.

“Yes, there were several pieces of a rifle found scattered throughout the room.” Both of the investigators’ eyes bulged abnormally. Frank was the first to regain his composure.

“Why didn’t you tell us last time we were here?” he asked in a low tone. The woman shrugged.

“I didn’t think it was important. They were found just before this particular guest checked in. I had them stored in the vault.” They followed her down a set of stairs to a large safe. She showed her ID card to the security guard, while Frank and Gerard waved their badges. She unlocked the door and showed them inside, pulling a box from the shelves. Gerard took it from her, and Frank lifted the lid off the box.

“Yep. Definitely parts of an M107. Military issue,” said Frank with a nod. He then turned to the manager with a confused look on his face. “Again I ask you, why didn’t you tell us about this earlier?” Gerard raised one hand towards Frank to calm him down before he killed someone.

“Let me handle this,” he muttered, turning to the woman. “I think what my partner means is that this had to be a strange occurrence. I’m sure you don’t find military-grade weaponry every day.”

“Well, not specifically, but we have found stranger things people leave behind. Diamond jewelry, laptops, dogs- you’d be surprised. We once found a prosthetic leg in a drawer. Scared the maid pretty bad.” This wasn’t too surprising to the two investigators. They had seen stranger things.

“Regardless, that gun is now part of an ongoing investigation, and we need to take it back to the crime lab with us,” said Gerard, walking out of the vault with the box in his hands. Frank began to follow him, but stopped after two steps and turned back to face the manager.

“Dogs?” he questioned. She nodded, and he left without another word.
-
“Hey Bob. Got a gift for you,” said Gerard, placing the heavy box on the counter. Bob rubbed his hands together maniacally.

“Ah, so Christmas has come early this year. Let’s see what we’ve got.” He opened the box and picked up the barrel and scope of the gun. “Wow, an M107. Just what I’ve always wanted.”

“You’ll shoot your eye out, kid,” said Gerard just as Mikey entered.

“I’m not sure I want to know the context of that comment,” he said warily. Gerard and Bob started laughing. “Anyway, while you two clowns are joking about outdated Christmas movies, I’ve been busy actually doing something. You were right, Gee. Brian - the kid - did know more than he was letting on. Here’s how it all happened,” he began, walking over to the nearby whiteboard and grabbing a marker.

“Here we go again,” said Gerard, rolling his eyes. Mikey turned back to face him with an annoyed look on his face.

“Do you mind? Telling a story here,” said Mikey, sounding annoyed. Gerard mouthed the word ‘sorry’.

“First of all, he doesn’t like you. Said you look like a snowman.” Gerard glared at him, lips drawn into a thin line, and did not laugh. “Anyway... Apparently Mom didn’t know about the drugs. The kid found a bottle Dad left lying on the counter and gave it to his mom. Needless to say, Mom wasn’t happy. She tried a calm discussion over dinner, but that didn’t work, so Dad took his steak and went to go eat in the bedroom.”

“That explains how the knife got there in the first place,” said Bob. Mikey continued the story map, drawing out several bubbles and scrawling out the information in nearly unreadable handwriting.

“Basically, when Mom tried to bring it up again, Dad got upset and attacked her. She grabbed the gun out of the closet and killed him. Brian heard the commotion and went to see what was going on. He saw his mom collapse, and when he went to see if she was okay, she gave him a hug - explains why he’s covered in her blood and not his own - crawled a few feet, and kicked the bucket. Brian’s got asthma, and he got so scared he started hyperventilating.”

“So when he opened the door, he was just about ready to pass out,” finished Gerard.

“You ruined the ending,” said Mikey with a sad face. Bob smiled.

“Mikey, I’m sorry to say this, but I don’t think you have a future as a writer,” he said with a smile. Mikey shrugged in response.

“I don’t know, I think I’m doing alright here.”