Status: working on it, but don't have a lot of time to do so.

Say You'll Stay

Chapter 2 - New School

Mickey's POV

I woke up to my alarm at six. I did everything I needed to do and straightened my golden blonde locks. When I was eating breakfast, my dad got up for work. He walked out into the kitchen in his pajamas to get a cup of coffee.

"'Morning, Mick," he said as he sat down at the table across from me.

"'Morning, Dad," I responded, taking in a mouthful of cereal.

"I heard you met the neighbors."

I swallowed.

"Yeah, they're pretty cool."

"Absolutely. I talked to their parents yesterday. VERY nice people."

"Yep."

"Do you need a ride to school?" he asked as he sipped his coffee.

I shook my head.

"No, I'm going to walk with Ross."

"Is he the blonde boy that's your age?" he asked.

"Yeah, why?" I asked, a little curious as to what he was thinking.

"Just wondered."

There was an awkward silence until I told him that I didn't have much time left to finish getting ready. I took my bowl to the sink and went to brush my teeth.

When I went outside, Ross was waiting by our mailbox. I walked up to him hesitantly, as I was still a little shy, and greeted him.

"Hi," I said nervously.

"Hey," he said. "Ready to go?"

I nodded and we began our walk. We didn't talk much since we didn't know each other very well, but he'd occasionally ask me a question. I wasn't really paying attention, though. I was more focused on the fact that I was about to go to a new school where I only knew one person. Ross must have noticed my uneasiness.

"Nervous?" he asked, showing that the answer was obvious.

"Yeah," I answered, grinning in embarrasment.

He flashed a smile.

"It's alright, I would be, too."

"It's not the school I'm worried about," I said. "It's the making friends part. That's not exactly something I'm good at."

"Well, I'll help you," he said. "You can hang around me and my friends."

"Thanks, Ross."

"Of course."

We arrived at the school. When we started to go up the stairs to the doorway, I stopped. Ross noticed and halted beside me. He knew exactly what was going through my head.

"It's alright. C'mon," he said, putting his hand on my back with a smile and leading me inside. He introduced me to a group of his friends, who were cool. I just liked hanging around his siblings and Ratliff a little better.

When we checked our schedules, we had many of the same classes, and the ones that we didn't have together were close to each other.

"I'll tell you where to go, don't worry," he assured me.

After Digital Photography first period, Ross and I met in the hall since he had History in the room beside me. He took a look at his schedule, and then mine.

"Okay, we both have gym next," he said, taking my hand and leading me to where the girls' locker room was. My heart jumped a little from the feeling of my hand in his. I wondered if he felt it, too.

Ross's POV

My heart flipped inside my chest when I took Mickey's hand. I didn't have feelings for her already, did I? I know I was looking at her constantly yesterday and I think she saw me, but the point is, she's beautiful. I couldn't help but think that I was starting to like her, and I was curious if she felt what I just had.

I walked her to the girls' locker room and then I went to the boys'. For the past three weeks, we'd been playing volleyball in gym class. I remembered that Mickey said that she was a volleyball player, so I was eager to see what would go down. I changed into my gym uniform and waited for the five-minute bell to ring, signaling that everyone should report to where their activity was.

It turns out that the girls' teacher had let Mickey into volleyball, and she stood beside me in the gym lobby.

"You excited?" I asked.

"Of course! Volleyball is my entire life!"

I laughed.

"This is good, then."

"Yeah, at least one thing is on my side."

I smiled. She was so cute. I wanted so badly to tell her that, but it's only been one full day. Bad Idea.

Mickey's POV

'Ross is so freaking adorable!' was all that I was thinking at that point. I knew I couldn't tell him that yet. It was too soon. At least I got to spend all day with him.
Mrs. Baker, one of the gym teachers, came down and unlocked the gym doors. We all flooded inside one door, even though there was two. Since it was the first gym class of the day, we had to set up the net.

"Any volleyball players in here?" Mrs. Baker asked.

I raised my hand. A small smile showed on her face.

"Can you help me with the net?"

"Of course."

I followed her into the closet where they kept all the equipment. Two other guys got the poles and I got the net. We set it up and she divided us into teams. I guess that day was lucky for me, because I ended up on the same team as Ross.

"Let's get 'em," he whispered to me with a smirk just before the other team served. The ball came straight to me. I passed it up, and Ross happened to be the one to set it. He knew I was experienced so he set it to me. I did my spike approach, jumped up, and smacked it over the net to the floor. Our team cheered. Ross smiled and came over to me, extending his hand for me to high-five it. "Nice," he said. I smiled and the ball rolled over to me.

The rest of school went by pretty fast. When the final bell rang, I went to my locker to grab a book I needed. When I shut the locker door, Ross was there.

"Ah! Ross! You scared the crap out of me!" I shouted, smiling a little. He laughed.

"Sorry. Hey, I was wondering. Do you want to grab something to eat at In-N-Out on the way home? My treat."

"I would love to," I answered, smiling. "But I can pay for myself, thanks."

"No, you're new here. At least let me by you a meal."

We walked outside and made our way down the sidewalk.

"Ross, you've done enough for me today," I said with a smile. He took my hand. My heart skipped just like it had before.

"Mick, that's because you didn't know the school yet. It was sort of a must."
I smiled.

"Fine."

He grinned and we continued walking. He was still holding my hand. I wondered if he even noticed...not that I was complaining. When we got to In-N-Out Burger, he opened the door, letting me enter first.

"So, what do you want?" he asked after we'd been looking at the menu for a few minutes.

"Just a burger."

We went up to the counter and Ross ordered for us. He was so sweet. When we sat down, he started a conversation with me.

"So, you like volleyball, huh? How long have you been playing?"

"Seven years," I answered. His eyes widened.

"Oh my gosh."

I smiled.

"No wonder you're so good."

"No, I'm not!" I said with a smile.

"Yes. You are."

"Oh, well, thanks."

There was a silence as we ate our food. I noticed a necklace he was wearing. I swallowed.

"Is that R5?"

He looked down at it and then back up.

"Yeah. We have merch, but we're not very well known."

"I think I just might get one of those. But I need to hear your music first," I said, flashing a smile.

"That can be arranged," he said, smiling back. His smile faded soon after. I became confused. Had I said something? "Mickey, can I talk to you about something?"

"Yeah, of course," I answered, a little worried.

"I have to be honest with you. I know we only met yesterday, but, uhh..I-I think I have feelings for you."

My eyes widened. Did he just say what I think he did?

"Ever since I first saw you yesterday, I couldn't take my eyes off you. I have no idea what it is, but there's just something about you that makes my heart skip a beat."

I smiled.

"Ross, I-I feel the exact same way about you."

He smiled, let out a breath, and took my hand.

"Then I have a question for you."

"What?" I smiled, having an idea what it was.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" he asked, grinning.

I leaned over and kissed his cheek.

"Absolutely."

We threw away our trash and walked home together, hand-in-hand. I then knew what my dad was wondering that morning, and it made me smile. It's like he knew. I figured out that things here in Cali were going to be great. I made some new friends, and I had an extremely sweet and adorable boyfriend. Could a situation like this get any better? I didn't think so.
♠ ♠ ♠
wellp, Ross and Mickey are a couple now (: thoughts?