My Best Friend's Boy

three.

I was ready to take off my green Starbucks apron and hang it onto one of the hooks. I was glad that my shift was finally done since a coworker called in sick I had to do a last minute double shift.

I was about to exit when Rebecca of all people walked in. Instead of ending my shift I decided to serve her a quick one, talk a bit and then switch off

"Hey Rebecca, what're you doing back in the area?" I asked.

"I was hoping to meet up with Tyler." She said with a smile that didn't last long.

"So, uh, how can I help you?"

"Something warm, sweet, but strong." She told me.

I gave her an uneasy look then mixed her up a white chocolate mocha with a few extra shots. I handed it to her then hung up my apron. I headed back to the front and took a seat across from her.

"What's up?" I said with a smile, "I haven't seen you in a while."

She instantly turned to me, "Is Tyler hanging out with any other girls?" She asked with a big frown.

I gave her a surprised look then quickly scanned my memories of the recent past, "No. Actually, I usually see him hanging with just his guys." I told her honestly.

She sighed, "He's been acting really distant lately."

"Well, maybe he's just trying to get better like you want him to. He told me that you're trying to push him further." I said, trying to be positive.

"I guess." She mumbled. She glanced at her phone for the time, "I gotta go. Tyler's mom said he should be home by now. Thanks." She said, then left.

I followed Rebecca out but instead of heading down the road to where I was guessing was Tyler's, I went to the grocery store around the same area. The scent of the freshly baked breads and the colours of the vegetables and fruits blended together from where I was standing. More than anything I loved local stores.

I grabbed a basket and started hunting for the things my mother wanted me to pick up after my shift. I was digging through my small backpack for my list when I heard my name being called.

"Ally?" I turned to the snacks aisle where the sound was coming from. I was surprised to see Tyler crouching slightly with the hood of his sweater on.

"Tyler? What're you doing here. Rebecca's looking for you."

"How do you.. Forget it. I told my mom that my practice ended up longer than usual and that we were going for lunch after. Just in case she goes to the rink to look for me." He said.

"Right, you're in one of those hockey leagues, right?"

"Not just any hockey league. One of the best in the country!" He bragged.

"Okay, well.. have fun." I murmured as I continued out of the aisle and to the vegetables.

"Wait, I'll just stick with you. I have nothing better to do." He said as he slipped the basket off my arm and clasped it by the handles.

I gave him a sideways look which he blatantly avoided. I sighed then continued towards the vegetable section. We silently walked through the aisles as I grabbed things and dropped it in the basket. It was getting heavier but Tyler didn't look like he was struggling. Actually, he was holding it by one hand while looking through a few things.

"So what's with you an' Rebecca?" I asked as I scanned the shelves for a cheap, healthy granola cereal.

"Well, it's like she's only there to make me work harder. She feels more like my coach than my girlfriend. She always compares me to Reese and a bunch of other people. If she wants an athlete like that then she might as well date him!" He waved his arms in the air for emphasis.

Those words instantly made me think of Rebecca's secret fling with Reese. Sure many girls like Reese but only the younger ones, the fresh bait. Everyone else already learned what Reese was like, I have no idea as to why Rebecca even laid eyes on the jerk. Actually, he was the reason she moved. He let out a crazy rumour about her and she couldn't handle it. Tyler was kind enough to pick up the pieces.

"I'll be honest." I whispered, looking down at my feet, "If the piece doesn't fit, it doesn't belong."

The minute I looked up to see his reaction I could feel his warm lips on mine.

He dropped the basket and wrapped his arms around my waist. It was the sweetest sensation ever. His lips were soft around mine, and also gentle. I didn't want to end it but it was the smarter thing to do.

"Tyler." I mumbled, my hands rested at his chest as I clasped onto the material of his sweater, "I can't. Rebecca's my friend."

He groaned but didn't unravel his arm from around my body. I pulled away, "Sorry Tyler." I told him as I glared at the tips of my shoes.

I grabbed the basket and headed for the check out.
♠ ♠ ♠
omh supaaah long! LOL.

anyways, i know it happens on the third chapter but its like omg! this is only gonna be like ten chapters. not even. idk. we'll find out by the end.