Fuel to the Fire

Chapter 2

Garrett kept the wet his wet jeans. He didn’t want my girly skinny jeans. And I made them watch Chasing Liberty with me. I ended up falling asleep at the end of the movie, when Anna discovers Ben’s plan. The last thing I remember was Garrett taking me to my room.
“Goodnight, Leighbear” He poked me and I smiled at the nickname.
“Goodnight, Garebear.”

Next morning, I woke up with a huge grin on my face. I went to Pat’s room, knocking on his door. Once. Twice. I heard nothing. I slowly opened the door, to find Pat on top of Lauren, wearing only underwear. I yelled.
“I’M BLIND, I’M BLIND! IT HURTS!” I said, covering my eyes with my hands.
“What happened?” Garrett asked, worried, coming from Tim’s old room.
“Ahn… nothing!” I quickly closed Pat’s door.
“You two” I knocked one more time “get ready and go downstairs. We’ll have a little talk.”
I heard them laugh and I rolled my eyes.
“You too, young man. Get ready” I poked his bare chest. What was he doing here, by the way?

I already had breakfast, when I heard the boys coming. I looked at Pat with narrowed eyes.
“What did I do?” He asked, innocently.
“Didn’t hear me and didn’t lock your door. Now, I have pictures of you making out with your girlfriend. I’ll have to deal with them for the rest of my life!”
“Come on, you know that Lauren is pretty hot” Pat smiled.
“Shut up!” Lauren mumbled, blushing.
“Yeah, and I know you like fruit… If you know what I mean.”
Garrett sat beside me on the couch placing his hands around my waist, and I leaned against him. Lauren looked at us for a moment, but she shook her head lightly and went to the kitchen.
“Sorry Pat, but you’re not my best friend anymore. Leigh is.” Garrett said.
“Remember what you just said, next time she squeeze your butt.” They all laughed.
“Leigh, can I talk to you for a sec?” Lauren asked quietly. I didn’t realize she was back.
“Sure.” I followed her back to the kitchen.
We sat in silence for a few seconds. Lauren had a smug smile on her face, and I stared at her, wondering why she was so happy. Oh yeah, they did.
“Why are you so happy? Just because you and Pat d-“
“Shhhh! No, it’s not that.” Lauren cut me off. “I want you to tell me how long.”
“How long, what?” I asked, confused.
“Since when, do you have a crush on Garrett?”
“I-I don’t know what are you talking about.” I looked at my hands.
“Gotcha. You never keep eye contact when you’re lying.”
I looked at her again. I opened my mouth to answer, but my mother interrupted us.
“Good morning girls. Leigh, why are you wearing pj’s?”
“Because I’m on vacation. And I just woke up.” My answer sounded like a question.
“Do you know what’s gonna happen next week right?”
“No. But I know that I’m not looking forward to whatever you are talking about.”
Mom gave me a sharp look, and left the kitchen.
“So, what’s your answer?” Lauren asked.
I sighed, thinking of what to say.
“It’s been three years, he was dating Ray already. It was difficult, at first; see the boy you like with someone else. Then it was easier. I saw how happy he was with Rachael, so I was happy for him. But when they broke up, I just couldn’t stand that, seeing him broken hearted, crying day after day.”
“That’s why you were acting so weird that week?” Lauren asked.
I nodded.
“And why did you keep it all to yourself? I mean, I understand you have a crush on Gar-”
“Maybe crush is the wrong word. Try love.” I said.
“What?” I heard someone ask from behind me.
I got up, feeling my cheeks blush and looked at Garrett, Pat and Jared behind him. His beautiful blue eyes were wide. I couldn’t think of anything, I had just admitted that I love Garrett for the first time in my whoooole life, and he had heard that. I passed by them, quickly making my way to my room. What did Garrett hear? Like, the whole confession or just the part when I said ‘try love’?

I sat on my bed, thinking of what to do. I heard a soft knock on my door.
“Leigh?” I Garrett asked softly. I stared at my door, thinking if I should answer or not. After a few more times, Garrett gave up.
I decided to changed into denim shorts and white tank top, while listening to Can’t Stop Won’t Stop so I could calm down. I heard someone knock on my door again.
“Leigh, it’s me.” I heard Lauren said.
I opened the door and she hugged me.
“John and Kenny are here. Garrett is worried. Please, come.”

Worried? Nah.

“I don’t want to. I don’t know what to say.”
“You don’t have to say anything” She took my hand.

The boys were watching SpongeBob. How nice, I rolled my eyes. Lauren made me sit next to Garrett, and when I was about to protest, she gave me a glare making me shut up the fuck up. Yeah, Lauren is all tiny and cute, but when she freaks out…
Garrett tried to put his arm around me, but I cringed away. I risked a glance towards the others, but they were all looking at the tv.
“Leigh, I’m sorry. I didn’t kn-“ Garrett whispered.
“I didn’t know about this. Why you didn’t tell me? bla bla bla.” I muttered.

“Ahn… guys, let’s go…” Pat said, getting up.

“Yeah.” They agreed.
“Yeah, I’m coming too” I said, getting up.
“No, you’re not.” Kenny said, blocking my way. When I finally gave up, they left me alone with Garrett. Great friends, huh.
“Look.. I-I know this is weird, but…. Hey, look at me” he took my hand.
“Gare please, don’t make it harder. See, we’re still best friend and I still love you, ok?” Things wouldn’t be that easy again, but we could try. The last words spoken were registred in my head. But I still love you? What the fuck? “EEEEW, that sounds cheesy.”
“You’re back to normal” he said with a smile, pulling me onto his lap and tickling me.
“GARRETT! FUCK! STOP IT!” I yelled between the laughs.
“No, until you give me a hug.”
“Alright” I said.
He released me, standing in front of me with his arms open, blocking my way.
“Ok, so you wanna a hug? like, a bear one?”
Garrett nodded.
Ok, Garebear. I opened my arms, ready to hug him. At the last second, I pushed him away, causing him to fall on the couch. I tried to run, but he caught me before I could move my body. I fell on top of him, my face close to his. I felt his hands touch my thighs and I stopped breathing, thinking of what to do. Garrett leaned in closer, our faces nearly touching. I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath.
“Garrett, n-”
“GARRETT, PRACTCING!” Jared called. I opened my eyes, to see Garrett frowning. I stood up, running downstairs before Garrett could say anything.

Gabi and Tessa, Kennedy and Jared’s girlfriends were at the practice, too. They all looked at me, leaning against the wall as they heard Garrett approaching.
“Are you okay?” Gabi asked, as they hugged me.
“Yeah, unexpected things happened, but I’m fine.” I sighed.
“What are we playing today?” Kenny asked.
“Obviously not Into Your Arms” Pat muttered. We all glared at him.
“Whaaaaaat?”

I rolled my eyes at my brother.

They were playing We All Roll Along when I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. A text from Lauren.
“What happened? You two were so quiet, we were worried!”
I looked at her, shaking my head. She nodded once and kept talking to Tessa. I glared at Garrett, wondering what would’ve happened if he had kissed me.