Fuel to the Fire

Chapter 26

My life was busy. Lie, I had nothing to do. Lie again, I had something to do. Since I left school – well, not left. I just had to study when I wanted to – my life seems to have slowed down. You know, I didn’t have to spend almost eight hours in a building with people I hate anymore, and I didn’t have to do homework and all that shit, so I could spend my free time with the guys. But my parents started to bug me then, “What are you going to do with your life? You are going to college, aren’t you?”

So, I got a job at Eighty One Twenty Three, and it was a nice deal with Tim. He was surprised at first, when he realized I was serious, talking about a job, and he actually liked the idea of me working with him at the agency. My parents only believed me after calling Tim, but yeah, they were proud of me, same as Garrett and Pat. John laughed at me – he doesn’t think I’m responsible enough.

So now, I work at the famous Eighty One Twenty Three. I have to help Tim with stuff like booking tickets and arranging shows for the boys.

On Friday, I had nothing to do. The boys were practicing at John’s, and I was at the agency, just to keep Tim company since Abbey was busy with work.

“What are you gonna do today?”

“I dunno” He said, without taking his eyes off the screen of his laptop “you?”

“I have no idea.”

“You’re not going out with Garrett? That’s new.”

“Come on” I smiled “we’re not always together.”

Tim looked wryly at me.

“Okay. Not like every day. We do talk every day, but..”

“Hey, I’m not Abbey! You know I can’t talk about that stuff.”

“I didn’t ask you to” I smiled.

“Hey, do you want something to eat?” Tim asked after a while. “I’m going out.”

“Sure. Bring some… whatever you are going to buy.”

Tim smiled.

“Uh… I’m waiting for this call… Can you get it for me if I don’t come back in time?”

“Sure.”

I sat on a chair, looking at nothing. I was humming the lyrics of When The Stars Go Blue when Tim came back with a cup of coffee and cupcakes.

“Nobody called you” I said, picking up one.

Just when he was about to speak, the phone rang, making me jump. Tim answered it.

“Hello, yes, this is him” he paused, paying attention. He nodded a couple times and typed something on his laptop. He suddenly looked at me, scratching the back of his head. I stared back. “Uh… I don’t know. I’ll talk to the guys. Can you call me later? Okay, thank you.”

Tim stared at the screen for a moment, before get up and walk to where I was sitting.

“I hate myself for what I’m gonna do…” I smiled. Every time Tim said that, good things happened to me. “The boys are going on tour again, and I can’t go with them. Uh.. can you do it for me?”

My smile grew wider.

“Where?”

“New York, Jersey, Massachusetts and Maine.”

I recalled a few months ago, when Garrett and I began to date. We were in Portland, but in Oregon, listening to Coast Of Maine and he said he wanted to go to Maine with me.

“I’m going.”

Tim looked at me, straight in the eyes.

“Amanda, I’m serious. I know touring sounds fun bu-“

“Tim, I can do it. I’m responsible now! And I’ve gone touring with the boys, remember?”

He sighed.

“I trust you to do it.”

“Aw, that’s cute!” I said in a baby voice, teasing him. “But mom and dad…”

“I’ll talk to them. It’s part of your job, they can’t deny it. Now, can you go over to John’s and tell them¿ I have to take care…” he trailed off, fiddling with a few papers.

I rang the doorbell and waited for someone to answer it. The youngest O’Callaghan did.

“Hey Shane, is your brother home?”

“Yeah, he’s in his room with the boys” he said, moving out the way so I could come in. I walked inside, saying hi to Ross before walking up to John’s room. Voices and laughs, followed by guitar chordes made me stop for a second.

“Hey” I called, softly knocking.

“Don’t let her in!” John said, as Pat, Kenny and Jared laughed.

“What’s going on?” I asked.

“We-“ Garrett started, but something cut him off.

“Come in” John said, getting up, as Kennedy closed a book and Jared set his guitar down. They were sitting in a small circle on the floor.

“We were writing new songs” Pat said.

“That’s good! And hey, I have good news.”

“What?” John asked.

“You’re going on tour again.”

They all smiled wide.

“And the best part is” I stopped, making everything even more dramatic “I’m coming too!”

“Oh fuck” John muttered. I stuck my tongue out to him.

“Where are we going?” Kenny asked.

“New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts and” I looked at Garrett “Maine.”

He smiled.

“Maine” Ken repeated “that’s cool.”

“When are we going?”

“I don’t know. You guys need to talk to Tim. I’m replacing him this time because he’s busy” I shrugged.

“We’ll go to Eighty One Twenty Three” Jared said.

“Yeah, coming?” John asked.

“Sure” I said, taking Garrett’s hand.

We drove back to the agency, to talk to Tim. Max and Abbey were there with Dirk, planning the tour. We would go to New York by plane, and there, we would rent a van or something and drive to the other states.

And yeah, I was excited. Because first, I would show everyone how responsible I am now, and I could make this tour work without anyone’s help. Second, I was gonna travel with my boys. It only meant one thing: fun.