Fuel to the Fire

Chapter 28

“My feet are killing me!”

“Why do you wear high heels?” Garrett asked, sitting on the edge of the bed.

“Because they make me look taller.”

He rolled his eyes and I kicked of my plumps.

“What do we do now?”

I shrugged, rubbing the back of my neck. I sat on the bed next to him, laying back. Garrett placed his hand on my thigh for a second, before get up and grab the remote control and turn the tv on.

“Ah, I’m gonna shower” I muttered after a moment.

I showered, feeling a little dizzy. I was drunk, but not that drunk.

I came back into the room to find Garrett, only in his boxers, his back facing me. I stood there, watching him for a moment, before walking to him.

“Oh, hey” he smiled, looking at me over his shoulder “You look tired.”

“Maybe it’s because I’m a little drunk. And so are you.”

Garrett laughed and took my hand, lying on the bed as I laid next to him. I rested my head on his chest as he hooked his arm around my waist.

“Are you going to sleep?” I asked after a moment.

“No, I’m going to watch Discovery Channel.”

“Seriously? I thought we were gonna make some dirty things now.”

Garrett chuckled, shaking his head. Suddenly the door exploded open and Pat walked in, laughing when he saw me and Garrett jump.

“Pat!” I whined.

“What? Don’t tell me you were… Ew! Gare, she’s my sister” Pat said.

“But we weren’t doing anything!”

“But you.. her.. uh, ew!”

Pat jumped on the bed and pulled me next to him, untangling me from Garrett.

“Pat!”

“Hush” he said, pressing his hand over my mouth. I sighed.

“So Garrett, what were you gonna do?”

“Watch tv” Gare replied, smiling at me. I rolled my eyes.

“Why are you smiling?”

Garrett shrugged. Pat removed his hands from my mouth and I turned to my side, snuggling closer to Garrett. Pat grabbed my wrist.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

“What do you think I’m doing?”

“No, no more Garrett!” he said “Do you remember the last time you spent some time with your brother?”

Aw, Patty was jealous! Isn’t that cute? No, it was funny. I sighed, leaning onto him. I took Garrett’s hand, interlocking out fingers.

“Cuddling with Pat and Gare. How sweet.”

“I’m having fun” Garrett smiled. I rolled my eyes, squeezing his hand.

I don’t know how long we stood there, but I feel asleep with Garrett watching some shit from the outer space and Pat texting Lauren. Next morning, I woke up to find Garrett breathing deeply by my side, his hair falling all over his face. I sat on the bed, stretching my arms and yawning. The clock said it was almost eleven, and I remembered what Pat said last night. We were going to Times Square today. And yeah, I’ll sing Hey There Delilah with John.

I picked some clothes and quickly showered, planning our day. We had two days off, on Friday The Maine had a concert, and we would leave on Saturday. Yeah, being The Maine’s tour manager wasn’t that bad.

When I came back into the room, Garrett was still sleeping.

“I can’t believe it” I said, placing my hands on my hips. He rolled on the bed, pulling the covers over his head. “Gare, wake up!”

Pat and Jared came in, looking between Garrett and I.

“I tried” I shrugged.

“Gare man, wake up!” Jared said. Gare didn’t budge and Pat shook his head.

“Go, I’ll take care of him.”

“I doubt it” Pat smiled.

“Ha, I’ll do it. Can you tell John we’re going to Times Square and we’re going to sing Hey There Delilah?”

Jared smiled.

“Sure.”

They left, smiling at me before closing the door. I walked to the bed, sitting on top of Garrett. I heard him exhale heavily.

“Babe, come on!”

“What?” he asked, pulling the covers back and rubbing his eyes. I kissed his cheek.

“We’re going out today. Get dressed, Pat is waiting for us.”

New York was amazing. I wish I could live here. At night, we stopped at Pizza Hut (no joke) for dinner, and when Kenny and I were walking back to the van, this girl approached us.

“Kenny!” She said, hugging him all of sudden. Uh, I don’t think he liked it. And I didn’t like it either, do I even know her?

“Ni-Nicole” He stuttered. She released him, still smiling.

“I didn’t know you guys were here. Why you didn’t call me?”

“Uh.. I don’t have your.. number” he said, trying to not sound stupid. I cocked an eyebrow. So, Nicole… I didn’t know her. My eyes slowly traveled down her body, analyzing her. She was blonde, and was wearing contacts. Fake hair, fake eyes, and fake tan! I scoffed inwardly…. And OH MY GOD HER BOOBS! Are they about to explode or something? They must be.

“So, where are the boys? Where’s Garrett?”

Garrett? I crossed my arms on my chest, gazing at Kennedy. He looked at me and then away nervously.

“I don’t…. know” he trailed off, when the girl took her phone out of her pocket and ignored what he was about to say.

We suddenly heard laugh and voice, and I looked behind me, to find Garrett, John and Pat walking to us. Garrett froze halfway, when he saw the girl. John and Pat stopped too, looking weird.

“Garrett!” Nicole squealed, hugging him. My jaw almost literally fell to the floor, my arms falling to my sides.

“H-hi uh.. Nicole.”

He tried to get out of her grasp and looked at me.

“Oh Gare, I’ve missed you! Why you didn’t call me?”

“I already told you, we didn’t have your number” Kennedy said, trying to help Garrett. Too bad you didn’t help, Ken. I cleared my throat and the girl looked at me. She eyed me from head to toe, obviously analyzing me.

“Nicole, this is Leigh, Pat’s sister” John said, gesturing at me.

“And Garrett’s girlfriend” I said, smiling bitterly. She gave me a fake smile, before talking.

“Girlfriend? I didn’t know you’re a good guy now, Garrett. Nice to meet you, sweetie.”

Garrett chocked a little.

“I guess we should go” he muttered, hugging me closer. I glared at him.

“So soon?” Nicole asked. “I heard you guys are going to play tomorrow night.. I’m going, is that okay?”

“It’s sold out” Garrett said quickly.

“Don’t worry. I’m coming anyway” She smiled, winking at Kennedy. Oh. My. God.

“Guys, let’s go” Max said. Yeah, let’s go.

“See ya tomorrow!” Nicole said, as we walked past her.

We got in the van, and I sat in the back between Garrett and Jared.

“Who the fuck is she?”

“Whoever she is, whoever she may be, one thing’s for sure you don’t have to worry” John sang from the driver seat.

“Shut up! I mean, seriously! She was being all flirty and shit with Garrett. And his girlfriend was right next to him.”

“John’s right, you don’t have to worry” Kennedy said “she’s not important. We met her once and…”

“And…” I repeated, encouraging him to continue.

“And we never saw her again, that’s all” Garrett said quickly. I looked at him through narrowed eyes.

“Garrett Daniel Nickelse-”

“Amanda Leigh Kirch” he cut me off, smiling. Pat laughed.

“I think she’s mad. You should shut up, you know” Jared said. Smart guy…

“Nickelsen, are you lying to me?”

His eyebrows shot up, as he looked at me straight in the eyes.

“Why would I ever lie to you?”

“I don’t know.. you’ve done that before.”

“Ouch” John whispered. Garrett sighed, looking ahead.

“You know, you should drop it for now” Pat said. Yeah Pat, let’s just drop it.. for now.