Status: Practically completed.

Asked to Compromise

Twelve

I got the chance to meet some of Eric’s new friends at dinner on Monday night. There was Allie, Kelly, Jamie, and a couple others. I can’t remember their names, but I was sure we’d all get along. If Eric was cool with them, I should be too.

I ate my dinner almost quiet for the most part, listening to everyone’s conversations while I ate my fries and cheeseburger.

“So, you should come out with us on Friday night,” Eric mentioned. “We’re allowed to go out on weekends.”

“I know, Sanders already told me when I got here,” I shrugged. “He said I need a recommendation from someone and right now, they all hate me.”

“They don’t hate you, they’re doing their jobs,” He said.

I raised an eyebrow, skeptical if Eric was taking their side or not.

“I know it doesn’t mean much coming from me,” He chuckled, realizing my expression towards him.
“We can show you around Huntington on Friday night. There’s a lot of things to do in the city,” Allie offered.

“Cool,” I nodded.

“All you gotta do is be decent for the whole week and one of them will let you go,” She said.

“Okay, I’ll try,” I said. I guess I could behave in order to have some time away from this place with some good people. Behaving for a few days wouldn’t be that hard.

“Good,” Eric patted my back before standing up. “I’m about to go hit up the desserts.”
-
By Friday, I was able to maintain good behavior for a full five days. It was hard, but I did so I could finally get some free time out of this hellhole. I tried to hide my grin while I stood in Mr. Sullivan’s classroom, watching him sign the pink slip of paper that permitted us to go.

“Here,” Sullivan dropped his pen, holding the slip between his fingers. I reached for it before he withdrew his arm. “Please, no funny antics. I expect good behavior from you while you’re out.”
“Okay, okay,” I said impatiently, reaching for the slip again.

“Don’t lose it,” He placed the slip in the palm of my hand. “Have a good time.”

“Thanks,” I said, folding the slip in half and then putting it in my pocket before walking out.

I walked back to my room to get ready. I was glad I had my own room. Some others shared by choice, but I liked my own privacy and space. I had more than enough time to get ready. It was only a quarter after four and the buses arrived at seven. We all agreed to meet up at 6:45 so we could all get on the same bus.

I didn’t plan on getting dressed up because well, we weren’t going to a party or a club or anything. I changed into a pair of ripped jeans, a black pullover hoodie, and my geometric Toms. I brushed through my hair and double checked to make sure I had money and the pink slip Sullivan gave me just a while ago. I wondered what we would be doing tonight.

At a quarter to seven, I met up with Eric and everyone else, waiting to get on the bus. I noticed Sanders, Haner, and Baker all in casual clothing, walking around and checking everyone’s slip.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” I muttered turning to Eric. “They come with us?”

“They gotta watch over us. One or two of them stay back to handle everyone else. But they’re not on our backs like that, they usually go do their own thing,” He explained.

I looked back over to the three men that, in casual clothing, didn’t look like they ran a high school. It was my first time seeing Sanders in a t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers. Dark sunglasses covered his hazel eyes even though the sun was going to set soon. The suit and tie was gone, he didn’t look like a principal anymore. I kept my eyes on the three of them, realizing for the first time that all of their tattoos were hot. I’d never paid attention to them before.

Before I knew it, Sanders towered over me.

“Priscilla,” His deep voice rang through my ears.

“Here,” I took the slip out of my back pocket and unfolded it, handing it to him.

“Thank you,” He said, skimming over it and handing it back to me.”I see you’ve had good behavior this week. Hopefully you can keep this up.”

He walked away, checking the last of the slips before we all got on the buses to go into the city.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I've been good for almost like, a year? Crazy. But I'm back. It's not all that good because I was rushing but I'm trying. Thank you to those that stayed subscribed while I was gone.