Status: Practically completed.

Asked to Compromise

Thirteen

The ride into the city was short, maybe about twenty or thirty minutes before the bus stopped. Everyone stood up immediately ready to get off the bus. They all cheered and screamed in excitement. It made me feel like we were on a field trip.

Sanders whistled loudly with his fingers, quieting everyone. He was the only person besides the bus driver on here with us. Baker was on another bus, and so was Haner.

“Alright, most of you guys know the deal,” He started. “For those of you that don’t, you do not want to get in trouble out here. School rules apply while you’re in town, too. All bags will be checked when you get back on this bus. Be back in this parking lot at 11:45. Do not embarrass me.”

I couldn’t help but scoff.

Sanders eyed me, “Do you have anything to say, Priscilla?”

“No, sir,” I muttered, rolling my eyes when he wasn’t looking.

“On that note, I hope everyone has a good time,” Sanders actually smiled and everyone started yelling again.

Eric grabbed my hand in the crowded aisle, leading me off the bus. It was warm but somewhat chilly because of how close we were to the ocean. The sun had completely set now and the moon and stars shone brightly. The rest of the group stood with us in the parking lot.

“So, what do you guys wanna do?” Kelly asked.

Most of us shrugged our shoulders. We really should have thought about it before we left.
Allie spoke up, “Oh, I heard mostly everyone was going down to the beach for a bonfire.”

“Then I guess that’s what we’re doing,” Eric said.

“I love bonfires,” I thought aloud quietly, while following everyone in the direction of the beach. Of course, my typical bonfire with friends included getting high and drinking.

When we got to the beach, people were already splashing around and tackling each other in the water. A few guys were trying to set up the bonfire.

“We can go into some of the stores, if you want,” Eric suggested. “Like, while we wait for the bonfire to get started. Get some snacks or something.”

“I don’t want to get wet so okay,” I said, crossing my arms over my chest, shivering a bit. I couldn’t wait to be around the fire.

“You guys go ahead, I bet the water feels awesome,” Kelly said, pulling off her shoes.

The rest of the gang did too, so it was just me and Eric.

“Whatever, dude. We’ll be back,” Eric laughed, pulling me with him into the boardwalk shops.
--
Finally, we were all sitting around the bonfire hanging out and getting to know each other. Someone had bought like, a dozen bags of jumbo marshmallows for everyone to roast and share. At the moment, I so desperately wanted a drink and a smoke.

“I’m going to the bathroom,” I told Eric before standing up and walking down to the public restrooms.

For public bathrooms, they were kept pretty damn clean; a lot cleaner than most bathrooms. I cursed in the stall when I saw that Aunt Flo had come to visit me. I had nothing in my bag for this situation. I cursed again, washing my hands and jogging back to the bonfire.

I tapped Allie and Kelly on their shoulders, motioning for them to come with me.

“Do you guys have anything?” I asked hopeful, once we got a few yards away.

“What do you mean?” Allie asked.

“I got my period,” I whispered.

“Oh,” they both said, looking through their bags.

“Nothing,” Kelly said.

“Nada either,” Allie looked apologetic. “There’s a little convenience store around here. We’ll go with you and show you where it is.”

“Thanks,” I breathed.

We started up the beach and back to the sidewalks towards the lit up store signs. I thought about where Sanders, Baker, and Haner could be. They weren’t watching everyone like hawks like I thought they’d be. But I actually hadn’t seen them the entire time we were out. I was surprised we had this much freedom. Like, suppose someone ran away, or something happened to one of us, then what?
I heard some voices from around the corner we were turning and mentally cursed. Speak of the damn devils.

“Where are you girls going?” Haner asked, looking at the three of us. We stopped walking.

“To the store,” Allie said confidently, beginning to walk again.

“Alright,” Haner said, but studying our faces individually.
--
At the store I was able to get what I needed and we continued the bonfire until someone said it was almost 11:45 and we started to leave. In the parking lot, Haner, Sanders, and Baker all made three individual lines for them to check everyone’s bags.

I swallowed, clenching the small bag in my hand. The box was too big to fit into my tiny purse. I hoped they would just let me on without a problem. But of course, that wasn’t the case. They were doing thorough checks, like they were the TSA or something.

“Priscilla,” Haner motioned me over and I made a few small steps until I was standing in front of him. I held my bag in my hand tightly.

He leaned forward, trying to smell me, I guess. I cringed away; he was too close for my liking.

“Bag,” He held his hand out. He glared at me when I didn’t give him the bag. He suddenly yanked the bag from my hands and I instinctively went to reach for it before he could look inside.

He took the box of tampons out and I heard some people snickering behind me.

“They’re just some fucking tampons,” I groaned. “I need those.”

He emptied the box onto the ground, checking for anything I could have hid in there, like I would hide a couple of ounces of weed in my tampons.

Some people were into full out laughter now, and I balled my hands into fists at my sides, seething.

“It’s just tampons, there’s nothing in there!” I yelled, bending down to shove all of them back into the bag.

“You don’t have to be embarrassed,” He smirked at me.

“I’m not embarrassed, I’m pissed, you asshole.” I stomped onto the bus.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I'm finally getting around to this. I hope I can really start updating regularly from now on.