Status: Practically completed.

Asked to Compromise

Seventeen

When I woke up I knew there was no way I was going class. My throat felt like I’d swallowed a handful of razor blades and I spent all night coughing my lungs up. I rarely ever got sick, so this was unusual for me.

“Ugh,” I groaned draping my arm over my eyes. I opened one eye to look at the clock; it was twenty minutes after the first bell. I knew Seward would flip a shit if I didn’t come so I had to call the nurse.
The phone call to the nurse’s office was short. The woman on the phone said she’d send someone to check up on me within the next half hour. I curled up in the fetal position and pulled my blanket over my head, trying to focus on breathing through my mouth because my nose was stuffy, too.

“Hey, dear,” A feminine voice woke me up, pulling the blanket from my face.

I blinked my eyes and turned over, looking up at her. She was short and petite with shoulder length brunette hair and a heart shaped face. She wore hot pink and white nurse’s scrubs.

“I’m Ms. Donna,” She smiled, sitting on the edge of the bed. “How are you feeling?”

I sat up and looked at her, “I feel horrible.”

“Well, I’m here to make sure you’re alright,” She said. “It is flu season.”

She opened up her medical bag and pulled out the things she needed. It was like a regular check up at the doctor’s office. She checked the sound of my lungs, my throat, my pulse, my blood pressure, and my temperature.

“You don’t have a fever,” She said, looking down at the thermometer. “It’s most likely just the common cold.”

I nodded, not wanting to bother my throat by speaking.

“I brought you breakfast, too,” She said, getting up. She picked up a tray that I didn’t notice before from the desk. “There’s soup, jello, apple sauce, crackers, and orange juice.” She set it on the nightstand. “I put extra jello, water, and orange juice in the refrigerator too so you can stay hydrated.”

“Thanks,” I said, my voice was scratchy and hoarse.

“Here’s some cough drops for you, too.” She gave me a small package of honey and lemon drops. “Take a tablespoon of this cough medicine every four to six hours and you’ll be alright.” She also set a bottle of cough syrup on the nightstand with a spoon.

“Okay,” I said, looking at the stuff she just gave me.

“If you can, go down to the cafeteria and eat. If not, that’s alright. Just call and we’ll have someone bring up lunch and dinner for you. I’ll also call the main office and let them know that you’re sick and can’t get to your classes. If you don’t feel any better tomorrow morning, feel free to stay in again.”

I nodded again.

She stood up and made her way to the door. “Get some rest, sweetie, and call down to the office if you need absolutely anything.”

I thanked her again as she closed the door behind her. She was nice, even if she did talk a little too much and too fast. I took the tablespoon of cough medicine like she’d told me and nearly vomited. Grape flavored, my ass.

I stuck the straw into the orange juice and drank it to wash the cough syrup down and rid my mouth of the horrid taste. I decided to try the soup too before it got cold. It was hot chicken noodle soup with some spice to it. It was good, but I’d rather have some solid food.

After I ate, I hoped I’d be able to sleep without having any coughing fits and got comfortable underneath my blanket for a nice slumber.

-

A rhythmic knocking on my door woke me up. I threw the covers off of me, ready to yell at whoever it was before I realized that my throat was still stinging. I walked over to my door and opened it, glaring at whoever was on the other side.

“What are you doing here?” I asked weakly.

“Just checking up on my students,” Haner said, walking past me into the room.

“Get out,” I strained my voice, still holding the door open. “Now.”

He ignored me, sitting in the desk chair. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before I got really pissed off. I was not in the mood to yell and scream with a sore throat.

“The nurse said you were sick,” He said.

“I am,” I said dryly. “Look, I don’t know if you barge into everyone else’s room but I don’t want to sleep with you.”

“Are you implying that I sleep around with students?” He asked, sitting up straighter.

“You probably do,” I muttered under my breath.

“Because I don’t,” He continued. “That would be highly unprofessional, seriously.”

“Whatever,” I rolled my eyes. “Why else are you in my room then? Just to say ‘hey’?”

“No, I’m here because I want to know what your problem is,” He said. “You act like you hate everyone that’s trying to help you. That’s why you’re here, because you need help and your parents can’t do it themselves. You hate them because they sent you here, and yeah, I know you haven’t spoken a word to them since you got here.”

“What are you talking about? I’m not in the mood for this. I don’t feel well,” I said.

“That’s why this is the perfect time to tell you,” He said. “You hate me for whatever reason. We actually give a damn about you kids, when other people don’t. Your friends are back at home doing what they want and you’re here, so that should tell you something. You need to get your act together and stop acting immature like everyone’s out to get you and want to be on your case about everything. If you don’t do it for anyone else, do it for yourself.”

He got up from the chair and crossed my room, walking out. I stood there dumbfounded and confused, wondering where this was all coming from and why he just exploded on me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another chapter. I actually wrote this in two hours, and that's awesome. Haha

Comment some more, guys!