Status: Practically completed.

Asked to Compromise

Twenty-Five

“It’s nice to see you on time, Priscilla,” Mr. Seward greeted me when I walked into his class the first day after break. “I wasn’t expecting you to show up, to be quite honest.”

“Yeah, well, new year, new me, right?” I shrugged as I took my seat.

“That’s a good way to look at it,” He nodded before addressing the class. “Pass your homework up to the front, please.”

I took the papers from my row, seeing as I sat in the front. I took the work that we had over the break from my folder, placing it on top of the pile. I handed the small pile to Seward when he walked by. He placed the papers on his desk before walking over to the board with a piece of chalk in hand.

“This week’s lesson will be on the Puritan times and the times of romanticism.” He wrote the topic on the board followed by the notes were to copy down.

I sighed, flipping to a new page in my notebook to write the new notes.
By the end of the school day, I was tired. After being at my own home with my parents for two weeks, I wasn’t exactly looking forward to school again. I dragged my feet into Haner’s classroom a few minutes before the late bell rung. I was glad it was the last class of the day.

“Good afternoon, Priscilla,” Haner said, sitting at his desk.

“Hi,” I yawned. I pulled my notebook from my bag.

“How was your break?” He asked. “I hope you enjoyed it.”

“I did,” I nodded. “It was pretty good. I didn’t want to come back.”

He laughed, “Well, I wouldn’t expect any less from you.”

I laughed with him as the final bell rung and the rest of the class filed into the room and took their seats.

Haner stood from his chair, “Welcome back, class.”

Everyone gave a lazy grunt or greeting and he began to talk about the math lesson for the day. I tried to focus on copying the notes and calculations but it was so hard. It was January, and the countdown to the end of the school year began.
♠ ♠ ♠
So. Uh. I don't know. When I reread this story, I always think "Where exactly was I going with this?". I think I had plans for this in the beginning but they got lost along the way and I began to wing it. Still, I'm so glad that you guys enjoyed this story and I'm so happy you all stuck with me!