Status: Practically completed.

Asked to Compromise

Twenty-Six

The last week of school flew by. It was the last day of my junior year at A.S. High. The last day of strict rules and policies I would most likely never see my friends again and would probably lose contact with them. Most of all, there would be no more of the asshole teachers that tried to make my life hell in the beginning. I was going to miss those asshole teachers. They were actually alright guys.

I tried to enjoy my last day. Kelly had gone back to her home state of Iowa the week before. Allie went back to Michigan a few days before. We all exchanged numbers and I promised to contact them as soon as I got home.

Packing to go back home was hard. I’d acquired so many new things that I had to buy an extra suitcase. There was a knock at my door. I opened it to see Mr. Baker standing there with an envelope in his hand.

“Your ticket and boarding pass,” He explained, putting the envelope into my hands. “The taxi is waiting outside.”

“Alright, I’ll be down,” I told him.

“Do you need help with your bags?”

“No, I’m fine. Eric’s coming to help me,” I said. “Thanks anyway.”

“No problem,” He walked down the hall.

I closed the door but the left the door cracked so Eric would know to come in. Just as I was zipping up my final suitcase, he popped his head into my room.

“I’ll help you, my lady,” He said in a fake accent. He grabbed the handles of two suitcases.

I double checked the room, closet, and bathroom before grabbing the handle of my third suitcase. It was silent as we walked down the hall. I had butterflies in my stomach from anxiety and my heart was pounding in my chest.

“I can’t believe you’re leaving,” Eric said quietly, breaking the silence.

“Neither can I,” I admitted. “I mean, I can. It’s been so long. This is what I’ve been waiting for. I just wish you could come with me.”

“My hardass parents want me to graduate here,” He scoffed.

The summer heat came over me like a wave as we exited the air conditioned building. It was extremely hot for a day in June. Sanders, Haner, Baker, Seward, and Sullivan all stood by the waiting cab. I wondered what they would do with their free time over the summer.

“No one forgot about you at home,” I reassured Eric. “I’ll see you when you get home.” I hugged his tall frame tightly for the last time.

When my suitcases were loaded into the trunk of the taxi, I looked at the five mentors stanfing before me.

“Do you see all your students off?” I asked curiously.

“Yeah, we do actually,” Sanders nodded. His usual aviators covered his eyes. “I’m not gonna miss the trouble you caused me.” He grinned wide and patted my back, even though I knew he was serious.

“I’ll miss you not showing up for my class,” Seward chuckled.

“I’m gonna miss you kid,” Sullivan pulled me into a hug.

“I’m gonna miss you guys too,” I murmured against his shirt.

“Never thought I’d hear Priscilla say those words,” Baker commented.

Haner laughed, “I’m gonna miss you too, and don’t take this personally but I never want to see you again… unless it’s outside of here.”

“Ditto,” I nodded my head in agreement.

“Alright, you’ve gotta go now,” Sanders interrupted. “Be good and keep up the good work. We’ll be checking in on you even when you don’t know it.”

I gave a weak smile and ducked into the backseat of the taxi. I didn’t want to miss my flight or waste any time more than I had to. Sanders shut the door after a got in, tapping on the window to say goodbye. I waved to the five of them and Eric as the taxi pulled off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second update. This is the last official chapter. Next one is like an epilogue.