Status: Practically completed.

Asked to Compromise

Epilogue

Christie Collins... Shelly Cummings… Priscilla Daniels…

I could actually feel my heart jump to my throat when my name was called. It was finally graduation day. This was the day I ─and everyone else─ had practically waited for our entire academic career. This was it for most of us.

I stepped onto the stage, holding my white graduation gown so I wouldn’t fall. I would have preferred to wear flats or even sneakers, but of course, Mom insisted pumps were “classier” for the occasion. The bright lights shined in my face as I accepted my diploma and shook hands with the school administrators. Shake with the right, take diploma in the left, that’s what they said during rehearsal.

I reluctantly shook hands with the person at the end of the line, Mr. Deegan. He was still on my case after my return for senior year, and I could tell her still didn’t like me. I smiled at him anyway. Stepping down from the stage, I was “required” to pause for the photographer and my parents to take pictures. I forced a smile for the cameras and went back to my seat to wait for the other three hundred people to get their diplomas.

Waiting for the rest of the senior class to get their names called was slow and boring. I only clapped for my group of friends and stayed quiet, seeing as I didn’t know the people to the right and left of me. I hated sitting through the half-hour speeches. I actually hated almost the entire thing of graduation.

I wondered what graduation at A.S. High was like. I imagined it wasn’t as tedious because there weren’t as many students and a fight would probably break out at some point. I imagined accepting my diploma from Haner and going down the line shaking all of their hands. I wondered if Sanders would still wear his aviators at graduation. I made a note to ask Eric the next time I saw him since he was home now.

“I present to you the Class of 2014!”

Everyone yelled and clapped and cheered, and that was our cue to toss our caps up into the air. The caps were temporary confetti in the air, and I was actually surprised when mine fell right back down into my hands. I had a feeling everyone else wasn’t as lucky and would end up taking whichever cap landed near them.

The outro music played and everyone exited the auditorium and into the courtyard to find their families. It was bright and scorching outside, and I immediately began to unzip my graduation gown.

“Priscilla!” Mom ran up to me in her heels, tears brimming in her eyes. She embraced me a little too tight and her Miss Dior perfume could make anyone lightheaded. “I’m so proud of you, baby.”

“Your mom is always so emotional,” Dad said, shaking his head. “She thought she’d never see this day.”

Mom muttered something in Italian under her breath in response, and I could tell it wasn’t a compliment to Dad. “I’m so happy for you. Invite your friends over for dinner. I’m going to cook a big meal for you all.”

“Ma,” I rolled my eyes. “Don’t you think they’ll eat dinner with their own parents? And you said I could go to the pool party tonight.”

“Oh, right,” She nodded. “Well, tell them to come over on Saturday. I’ll cook then.”

“Okay,” I nodded, peering through the crowd for my friends.

“Priscilla,” Dad called my name in a serious tone, “I think someone’s here to see you.”

Turning around, I came face-to-face with the five guys that had probably changed my life. It was hard to resist the grin that appeared on my face. I didn’t know how or why they even came here.

“Uh, hi,” I finally got the words out. I turned to my parents and then motioned to the five men before us. “Mom, Dad, these are ─uh, were─ my teachers in California.”

“Oh,” Mom said, getting over the shock of their untraditional looks. “Oh.” She stuck her hand out to Sanders first. “Nice to meet you all. I’m Giana.”

I caught the wink Haner gave me after the introductions were made. Mom rambled about how much better I was than before and how she’d recommend their alternative school to any parent with troubled teens. It was all compliments and I was actually embarrassed by her.

“So, are you going to college?” Sanders asked when Mom was done babbling.

“Uh, I’m going to community college,” I said. My grade point average still wasn’t high enough to get into a four-year school. “I’ve realized that I never want to leave here again.”

Sanders laughed, his dimples showing slightly. “Yeah, you’ll change your mind in a few years.”

“Let’s take a group picture,” Mom suggested, taking her phone from her purse. “I need a group picture of you guys.”

We quickly formed into a group, Sanders and Baker on my right, and Haner and Seward to my left. I felt incredibly short standing between Haner sand Sanders.

“Alright, you ready?” Mom asked. “One, two…”

“I told you I never wanted to see you again unless it was outside of that school,” Haner joked through gritted teeth and a smile, careful not to ruin the picture.

“Three,” Mom said. I heard the camera shutter snap just as I looked up at Haner. Mom glanced down at the photo, smiling. “That was perfect. Let’s get some more.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh. Look who finally got an epilogue up. THIS GIRL.