Status: Practically completed.

Asked to Compromise

Four

“Again, this is such bullshit,” I mumbled as Dad loaded my suitcases into the car on Friday afternoon. “I’m getting sent to some bullshit school. What the fuck.”

“Stop with the comments, Priscilla,” Mom said. “You are going and that’s final.”

“You don’t even know what the school is about! Deegan presented you with some school and you two are dumb enough to go along with it,” I ranted.

“This is exactly why you’re leaving,” Dad said. “I’m tired of you disrespecting us and others. Your mouth is what gets you in trouble. We can’t do it by ourselves, and you’re going to learn.”

“Disrespect, my ass,” I said under my breath. If people didn’t give me a reason, I wouldn’t do it. I felt like I could honestly say I hated my parents at this point. Who did they think they were, sending me across the country for a whole fucking school year. Who the fuck did Deegan think he was? He was only a principal at a shitty high school.

I sat on the porch steps waiting for my friends to come for their last goodbyes. I didn’t want to fucking leave. I was almost like nothing without them. I’d been with all of them since either middle school or freshman year. We were inseparable.

We all knew I wasn’t the best kid around, hell, none of us were, but it wasn’t supposed to get to this point. I did research on the school’s website when Eric got sent there. It was like, the toughest school in the country. Teens from all over got sent there when there was nowhere else for them to go. I guessed it was when their parents and schools got tired of them, just like me. It was technically like boot camp, or that’s what I heard. It could’ve been a secret prison for all I knew, or juvie. Now I knew what it felt like to be on that show, Beyond Scared Straight.

I was freaking myself out. I was tough and I knew it. I wasn’t going to be shook by some school I heard rumors about. I’d bear with it.

I had the air knocked out of me when Marcy ran up to me. We both rolled down the porch stairs and onto the grass. She never let go of me. She lay on top of me, squeezing me tightly.

“Jesus Christ,” I said. “Are you trying to break my fucking neck?”

“So you don’t have to go, then yes,” She said.

“That hurt,” I said, pushing her off of me and standing up. I rubbed my neck before looking at them. “I’m going to miss you guys so fucking much. I don’t even know what to say.”

“Aw,” Lenore said.

“Come on, don’t ruin our manliness,” Adam said arrogantly. I gave him a fake glare. “But we’re going to miss you.” He smiled.

“Group hug!” Max said, grabbing me first. They all joined, jumping on top of me.

“Don’t you fucking change,” Charlie said out of earshot of my parents. “I expect you to do some major damage when you get back.”

“Stop,” I laughed. “You know I’m probably not. Sending me away isn’t going to help, seriously. Don’t you guys change while I’m gone. Do twice as much on my part.”

“Oh, you know we can do that,” Charlie scoffed. “And here comes your dad…”

“Kids, we have to go,” Dad announced. “Priscilla will be back. She’s not going away forever.”

We all groaned in unison and let go of each other. I hugged them all individually and it finally hit me. I was leaving for nine months. I could’ve felt my heart shatter, but I wasn’t going to cry. My parents weren’t expecting me to cry.

“Bye, ‘Cilla,” They all said as I got into the back of Dad’s SUV.

I waved at them through the window before my Dad pulled away and started driving towards the airport.

-

“This is going to be a good experience for you,” Mom said for the thousandth time since that meeting in Deegan’s office.

We checked in at O’Hare Airport, went through security, and were waiting at the gate for the flight to be called. It was supposed to depart in a little over a half hour. Dad barely said anything to me through everything. I knew they were disappointed, but what was I supposed to do at this point?

“How many times are you going to tell me that?” I asked, sinking into the chair. I only had one piece of carry-on luggage, which was my bag full of snacks and stuff to keep me entertained during the flight.

“As many times for you to believe it,” She said. I rolled my eyes.

Dad came back from going to one of the shops with two Starbucks cups in his hands. He handed one cup to Mom, a cold latte with whipped cream. He sat down with his cup and started reading the newspaper. Way to be selfish and not get me anything.

“Oh, before I forget,” Mom gasped. She set her cup down on the floor and unzipped her purse. She took out a thick, white envelope. “This is money for you. It’s five hundred. In case something happens or you want or need to be anything, here. Use it sparingly. We’ll send you some more when you run out.”

“Thanks,” I said. I took the envelope from her and tucked it away in my carry-on bag. At least they still cared enough to supply me with some cash for the mean time. But they still didn’t care that I wasn’t going to a strange school in a new place by myself.

Before I knew it, the flight to Los Angeles was announced and people were forming a line, ready to board. I grabbed my bag and stood up, not expecting a word from my parents.

“’Cilla,” Dad said. I turned around. “I know you think we’re upset with you, and we are, but that doesn’t mean we want you to go. We love you, but it’s getting out of hand. You’ll be alright.”

“Okay,” I sighed, pushing my bangs back.

“I know you’ve never been anywhere by yourself,” Mom said. I hoped she wasn’t going to start crying or something. “Just remember that we love you.”

“Yeah, yeah,” I shrugged, walking away to the boarding line.

“Don’t forget to call us when you land! And at night! And when you meet your new teachers!” Mom said like an over-protective mother.

“Yeah, yeah, stop embarrassing me,” I nodded again as I handed the stewardess my ticket and she checked it. She gave me a fake smile and I walked through the dimly light walkway onto the plane.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to everyone who subscribed and commented so far!