Status: Work in Progress

Physical Therapy

Interview Time

It has been a week since I sent out my resume to all the local hospitals and clinics and I have either gotten a rejection letter or nothing at all. Then one day it hit me while I was driving my sister to work, because we only have one car right now, why don’t I apply for a position with the Penguins? I mean they had to have something open I had my major in physical therapy and a minor as a chiropractor.

“Why don’t I apply for a job here?” I ask my sister as we pull up to Consol Energy Center.

“What? Here?” she asked slowly.

“Yeah, you think I can get the job?”

“I don’t know. I don’t even know if anything is open right now?”

“Well there is no time like the present right?” I asked as I was stepping out of the car.

“What are you doing?” she asked rushing after me.

“I am going to go in there and ask if there are any positions open. What does it look like I am doing?”

“Oh” is all she said behind me.

Walking into the arena was like nothing I ever expected. It is so clean and everything is shiny and new. Sarah had to lead me to the offices in the building because I had no idea where I was going. Once we got there I spotted a secretary and walked up to her.

“Good morning. How can I help you?” she said with a big smile.

“Hi, my name is Roxanne and I was wondering if there were any openings in the medical staff?”I asked

“Um, I will have to check with the General Manager to see if any spots are open. Will you please take a seat while I call him?” she said

“Yes, thank you.” And with a smile I walked over to the chairs and sat down.

Once I sat down I texted Sarah saying I was waiting to hear from the GM to see if any spots are open and to wish me luck. She texted back wishing me luck and to be nice, I am only not nice when I don’t have my coffee and I had some this morning so I should be good to go.
It was only a couple of minutes before she called me back up to her desk.

“There is a spot open. Do you have a resume with you?” she asked

“Oh I have one in the car, I will be right back.” With that I rushed out to the car and got my resume thankful that I had a stack in there just in case I needed one.

“Here you go, everything you need is on their my name, number and other contact information.” I said handing it to her.

“Okay well I will be passing this along and you should hear back from us within the week.” She said.

So I thanked her and made my way back to the car feeling good about this, hopefully I was right.
**************************************************************************************
The next week felt like it passed by slower than a snail waiting for that phone call. My sister said I needed to relax but I just couldn’t, I felt like I was a balloon on pins and needles ready to pop at any given moment. Every time the phone rang I would run and get it before Sarah could.

“I GOT IT!” as I was running from my room to get the phone even though Sarah was right there she didn’t even move to get it.

“Hello?”

“Yes is this Roxanne Stone?” a man asked.

“Yes, this is she.” I said nervously

“Hello, my name is Ray Shero I am calling on behalf of the Pittsburgh Penguins and I would like to set up an interview with you for the position we have open.” He said and if he wasn’t on the phone with me I would have screamed.

“Yes, I would love an interview. What time would you like to have it?” I asked eagerly.

“Monday morning at 9:00 good for you?”

“That would be perfect!” I said “Thank you so much Mr. Shero”

“It’s my pleasure. I will see you 9:00 Monday morning. Have a good rest of your weekend” he said kindly

“Thank you. You too” I said then hung up the phone and screamed like a little girl. My sister came running at the sound of the scream having walked away in the middle of the call.

“WHAT, WHAT?” she asked looking around as if here was someone there trying to kill me.

“I got an interview!!” I said and she looked relieved then happy for me.

“That’s great. I know you’re going to blow them away.”

“Thanks,” I said then I panicked “oh God, help me pick out what to wear!”

“You look good in anything don’t freak out” she said laughing at me.

“That’s easy for you to say you have a job, I don’t” I said still panicking

“Skirt or Pant? Blouse or Button up?” I said throwing clothes everywhere.

“Skirt, a colored blouse with a blazer over top and your black heels should do the trick” She said confidently.

“Oh, what would I do without you?” I said as I laid out the outfit and calmed down a little. Now all I have to do is wait for Monday to get here and ace my interview. No problem…right?
*********************************************************************
Walking into Consol Energy Center on Monday morning was nerve racking, my heart was beating fast, my palms sweating and feeling a little nauseous.

I walked up to the secretary and told her I was here for an interview and she asked me to have a seat until they were ready for me.

I was sitting there looking over everything and tapping my foot nervously until she called me back and told me they were ready. She led me to a board room and left me standing in a room with two men. They stood up and introduced themselves.

“Hello, I spoke with you on the phone. I am Ray Shero, General Manager.”

“Nice to meet you” I said nervously shaking his hand

“I am Dan Bylsma, head coach of the Penguins.” Dan said

“Nice to meet you, I’m Roxanne Stone” I said shaking his hand.

“Well let’s get this thing started” Dan said clapping his hands. This made me a little more relaxed and we started the interview.
♠ ♠ ♠
I want to know what you think! Im a big girl I can take it :) thanks for reading