Status: Active :)

Behind the Mask

From Hungry to Starving

"Are you kidding me? Olivia, it's Friday night, and you obviously need to take your mind off of things." Clara was whining again. We were childhood friends, and she always got me to give in just to get her to stop whining. "I haven't seen you in forever. Don't you miss me?"

I was lying in bed with a brand new set of sheets. I went out and bought them, desperate to remove every piece of Chase from my life. "I'm just not feeling up to it. Maybe next weekend?"

"No. I'll meet you at eight." She hung up, just as stubborn as always.

I grumbled to myself and tossed my phone across the bed. Why couldn't I just mope around by myself? I didn't want to mope, and I didn't believe in it, but I thought I was inclined to do so. A breakup like that was exhausting, and I needed time to recover. It had only been a week since. I didn't feel like going out yet.

It was only six, so I had a good three hours to prepare myself. Clara wanted to meet me at this restaurant and bar on 29th street. I'd been there before, and it was pretty classy -- well, as classy as a bar can be. I guessed I could survive an hour or two if I got to see her.

Clara was always gorgeous, even at eight years old. She had these giant blue eyes and hair that would make Goldilocks jealous. She'd been offered modeling contracts before, but she signed with one a few weeks ago that's been really taking off. I knew she'd just gotten back from LA for a photo shoot.

I was never jealous of her, though. When we walked together, she consumed all of the attention, allowing me to fade in with the background. I didn't like being the center of attention.

I got distracted while I was trying to get ready. A stack of photos on my dresser caught my attention. Our photography class had an exhibition in a few weeks, so Peter and I had recently gone film-happy with our cameras. We'd take pictures of anything, and we swapped them with eachother to the point where I couldn't tell who took what picture.

We managed to catch eachother when we weren't paying attention. There was one of me lounging out on his balcony on an unseasonably warm afternoon, my hair knotted in a bun and a and my laptop on my knees. The way the sun cast down on the scene and bounced off of the building behind me was unreal.

The picture I took of him was of his back, as he sat in his chair and worked his magic with calculus equations. His hand was lifted to rub the back of his neck, and a mess of papers was scattered all over. I'd called his name and waited for him to turn before I snapped the candid.

"Ha." I said after the flash. "Now we're even."

Peter just shook his head and returned to his work. "Let the candid war begin."

I was on my toes now, waiting for him to come out of the woodwork and catch me. He was busy alot of the time, swinging around the city. I worried about him, watching the news more than I was used to and reading newspaper headlines as I walked by. He was so sure that nothing bad could happen, like he was always a step ahead of the people against him. I admired his confidence, but I worried it would get him into trouble.

I managed to make myself presentable by nine and started walking down a few blocks. I knew Clara would be there already, and I was right. She was sitting at the bar, her long legs crossed at the knee. She wore a pair of black skinny jeans and a low cut shirt, but somehow she managed to avoid slutty. Clara was elegantly beautiful, not trashy. It was refreshing, though guys never seemed to notice a difference like girls did.

She was flirting with the first one of the night before she saw me. "Olivia!" She called, waving in my direction. Half of the bar turned to find me. I bet they were disappointed when they discovered the hot model's friend was simply ordinary.

Clara shoved her boy toy out of the seat beside her. He hesitated before walking away. She jumped down from her stool and stood a good four inches taller than me, waiting for a hug.

"You smell good." I said randomly, sniffing the perfume at the base of her neck.

"Thanks. It's one of a kind, I bought it in LA. I missed you like crazy, Vee!"

I tried not to cringe as she used her ridiculous pet name for me. I loved her to death, but sometimes the things she said embarassed the hell out of me. The last time I saw her was at Greg's funeral. The day after, she was bound for the West Coast.

I climbed up on the stool and a bartender brought two frilly drinks to us. Clara must have ordered it for me. I pushed it away gently. "I don't really want this." The bartender raised his eyebrows and walked away.

Clara sipped her drink. "Oh, come on. It's not that strong."

I left it be while I played with a napkin. Another bar tender walked by, and I ordered myself a Sprite. Clara changed it to a Shirley Temple. I could never win.

"So, tell me, how is everything beside your man troubles?" Clara leaned on the bar with her elbow and crossed her legs again.

"I'm doing okay." I said. "I had dinner with my parents last week."

"Good! How are they doing?"

Better than I am, I thought. "I think they're holding up."

Clara's phone started buzzing on the table next to her. She jumped up right away. "Oh! I have to take this, I'll be right back, okay?"

I nodded and watched her wiggle over to the bathroom, half of the guys checking out her ass. I don't think she tried to flaunt herself, which made it all that more dangerous.

I was only by myself for two minutes before he showed his face. "Hey." He said, acting as if I were a child.

I grit my teeth and turned my face away. "Hi."

"Come on, Liv. Be mature, would you?" Chase invited himself to sit in Clara's seat. "How've you been?"

I wanted to throw that hypocrisy and fake courtesy right back in his face. "Fine." I tried to ignore him as best I could. I knew exactly where he was, on that line between sober and tispy. It was the worst, because you knew he meant everything he said.

"I see you've got a big girl drink, there." He pointed to the stupid thing next to me.

"I'm not drinking it." I said, just as my Shirley Temple arrived.

Chase stole the cherry and ate it, wrapping the stem in my napkin. "Mmm." He mumbled, smirking at me.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Aw, I think we can still be friends, don't you?" He tried to drape his arm around me, but I roughly shrugged it away.

"Go away, please." I was relieved to see Clara on her way back.

Chase did a double take as Clara pranced up to us. "Aren't you gonna introduce me to your friend first?" He clearly looked her up and down.

Clara kept a stern face, sensing the hatred oozing out of me. Her eyes met mine. "Is this him?"

I looked down at my Shirley Temple and nodded slightly.

Chase offered his hand to Clara. "Hey there. I'm Chase."

Clara wasn't subtle. She slapped him square across the face, calling up a series of gasps from the people around us. "Get lost, you sick bastard."

Chase rolled his jaw, obviously stunned. "I don't mean any harm, sweetheart."

Clara could tell he wasn't the type to give up. She hooked her arm through mine and tossed a few bills on the counter. "Let's go get some coffee and tea instead." I agreed with her.

Chase looped his finger around my ear, the way he knew I liked. I shuddered and felt Clara tug me a bit.

I jerked my chin away from Chase. "Goodbye."

The cool air outside allowed me to start breathing again. Clara kept her arm locked with mine, and we walked the dark streets as one. The closest coffee shop was four blocks back the way I came, nearest my apartment.

"God, Vee, how did you stay with him for so long?" Clara held her jacket closer.

"I don't know." I admitted. I didn't see anything attractive about him anymore. I was ashamed to have been with a guy like that.

We walked generally in silence, except for Clara's sporadic comments about Chase. We approached a wide alley, and I could hear voices before we passed. A group of four or five hooded men lounged beneath a side door light, glancing up as we passed. I felt sick immediately.

"Go." I quickened our pace, taking long and fast strides forward.

"What is it?" Clara looked behind, wondering if Chase was following us. It was much worse than Chase. "Oh..."

We were halted when one of them scurried around to meet us at the next alley. "Hey there, what's your hurry?" His voice was scruffy and cold.

"We're just going home." Clara muttered, keeping her cool. I was tortured with the sequences I'd come up with, predicting what would happen next. I could feel the others closing in on us.

"It's sort of dangerous out here at night, don't you think?" I saw him sneak his hand into his pocket, and I did what Dad taught me best.

I thrust the trusty knee cap upwards, and watched the creep crumble and groan on the sidewalk. Clara and I sprinted before the rest could catch up. The next street ahead was my street, busy enough that they'd let us go if we could only reach it.

Clara's damn high heels slowed her down. She stopped to slip them off, much to my disapproval. "Come on!" I shouted at her, afraid to stop and wait.

Clara stumbled and rolled her ankle as she tried to run and take them off at the same time. She shrieked when her wrist was captured by a grimy hand. He said something to her before his friend joined him.

I had to do something, I had to help her, but I couldn't move. I tried to at least work up a good scream, but it didn't work. I stood there like a dumb statue, watching as Clara tried to fight and get herself away.

It was like a gift from the sky. The two on Clara were slapped down to the ground by a blurry figure. I nearly fell to my knees in relief when I recognized the red and blue suit.

"That's no way to treat a lady." He said, lifting the two by their collars. He held one in each hand, and threatened to involve the police. He dropped them again, and they all scurried away back into the darkness.

Clara was curled up on the cold cement, crying and violated. Peter kneeled down beside her and lifted her chin, asking if she was hurt. I tiptoed towards them cautiously, helping Clara to her feet again. She was only two inches taller than me without her heels.

"I'm sorry." I repeated over and over, holding her in my arms.

"I just want to go home." She whimpered.

"Are you okay?" Peter asked me beneath his mask.

"I'm fine. Thank you." I looked directly into the place his eyes were hiding. "Can you take her home?" I hoped Clara didn't notice our informal conversation.

"Sure thing." He scooped Clara up, legs and all. "Hang on tight, okay?"

She squeezed her slender arms around his neck. Peter looked at me one more time. I gave him a look that said I'd meet him back home, and he nodded once before swinging away.

. . . . . . . .

I bit my nails down to the nub, waiting for Peter to land on his balcony. I invited myself into his apartment with the key he'd given to me. It was supposed to be used when I needed to borrow his film equipment, or his photoshop program on his computer. This was the first time I used it to meet up with him.

I paced the length of the glass doors, waiting in the darkness. I didn't think of turning on the lights, but the glimmering city street below served enough to see.

I sighed when I heard the thump. He rose to stand tall on his feet, peeling the mask away. He reached the glass doors and pushed them open sluggishly. He placed the mask in my hands and stepped around me to flip on the desk light. The room became dimmly lit, revealing the sweat gathered at his hairline.

There was something about that moment -- the way he stood inches away from me, disgusted with the situation but glad he could stop it -- that broke the thin wall I built between us. It was just a wall of precaution, because my fragile feelings needed time to mend before...

I cut off my own thoughts, framing his neck with my shaky hands and mauling his lips with a hungry kiss. He responded instantly, like he was prepared for it. He grabbed my shoulders and spun me around, my back pressing hard against the wall. I was surprised by his aggression, but I realized it was just frustration that this didn't happen sooner. We waited until after we were hungry to make a move, and now we were starving.

The thought, along with the intensity of the kiss, caused my knees to nearly give out. Peter noticed my dip and lifted my thighs. I wrapped my legs around his waist and held myself close to him, grazing my fingers along the lines in his suit.

Peter stopped suddenly, his lips somewhere near my right ear. "I have to change."

My brain was so clouded I didn't understand. "Change what?"

"Clothes." He groaned, swooping away and digging for sweatpants in a drawer. I stayed leaning against the wall, my chest rising and falling with my rapid heartbeat.

He glanced up at me before he left for the bathroom and saw the look of disappointment on my face. I wasn't really disappointed, just eager to kiss him again.

He read my mind, sneaking one more good one before he disappeared. I twirled the ends of my hair, waiting for him to return. I counted to forty and he opened the door, tossing the suit on the floor and taking my hands.

"I think Spiderman's had his share of action tonight." He rested his forehead against mine, teasing me with the close distance between our lips.

I wondered for a quick second if he didn't want to kiss anymore, but then I caught on to his playful and creative statement. Spiderman had his share, now it was Peter's turn.
♠ ♠ ♠
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

comment and subscribe, pleeeeease!