Status: WRITING.

I Knew You'd Be Trouble...

Chapter 27-

The room was white, sterile and clean. The girl lying in the bed, in the room was surrounded by pillows, machines and drips. The people in room just stared at the girl, any program could be running on the always playing TV set and they’d still just stare, waiting for the girl to wake up from her week long nap. The mother of the girl in the room, was flitting between both the rooms that her family were in, her daughter’s chancing of waking up diminishing day by day and her husband’s condition deteriorating by the hour.
“Sarah, we’re putting you on paid leave. Go home, get some rest, get some food and get a shower. We’ll call you if anything develops okay?” Dr Thomas said, resting a comforting hand on his colleagues shoulder.
“I’m not leaving them.” Sarah replied hoarsely, her throat raw from all the sobbing.
“Please, Sarah. We need you to be at full alert for when they wake up.”
“Fine... Even if he coughs or her eyelids twitch you call me.” she said, to tired to even argue.Dr Thomas just gave a small nod and slipped his arm over her shoulder to guide her away and to the elevator.
-
All 5 pairs of eyes were glued to her black and blue face, beep after beep signalling she was still holding on.
“Who ever did this is gonna pay,” Matt seethed, resting his hand on Joel’s, “I promise you Jo, I’ll get ‘em.” Val shook her head angrily.
“Do you think doing that will solve everything? The correct answer, Mathew, is that it wouldn't, it would end up with you in jail, some other person’s best friend in hospital, barely alive, not responsive, probably dyi...” she trailed off as another set of tears leaked from her hazel eyes. Matt frowned and quickly wrapped his large arms around his girlfriend and softly rocked her back and forth to soothe her.
“She’s gonna pull through baby, I promise.” Matt whispered, pulling her in tighter and kissing the top of her head. The whoosh of air from the ventilator filled the silence as Val’s sobbing slowly calmed into small whimpers every now and again. The ticking of the wall clock joining in. Each tick and each tock visibly aged Jimmy who was sat in the chair closest to Jolene, one of his large hands lay underneath one of hers, grasping it lightly as he continued to stare at her pale face.
“Yeah...” he whispered to no one in particular, “She’s gonna pull through, she’s gonna make it.” His thumb stroked the smooth flesh on her hand, his stare never faltering as a singular tear drop slithered a wet path down his disheveled face and dropped into his lap.
“Excuse me?” a small voice came from the slightly ajar door.
“Yes?” Zacky croaked, rubbing his hands down his tired face.
“I've been told to inform you that Visiting time is over and only one of you can stay.” the small volunteer said biting her lip as she stepped into the room. Everyone nodded and got up, understanding that Jimmy would always be the one to stay, each of them kissing Joel on her cold and clammy forehead before patting their usually energetic friend on his back. Jimmy still sat staring at Joel’s face before breaking down. Tear after tear, after tear rolled down his face silently, no sound came from him as he cried. His lanky body convulsed from the pain in his heart and the small, sharp breaths he had to take to stop him screaming. Jimmy picked up Joel’s cold, white hand and placed it against his cheek, the same way that she did when he was sad.
“I-I-I’m so s-s-s-sorry, Joely-b-b-b-bean...” he croaked, rubbing his cheek against the palm lightly. “I-I-I’m sorry t-t-that you got b-beaten up, I-I-I’m sorry you’re l-l-like this, I-I-I-I’m sorry that I c-c-c-couldn't protect you.” Jimmy couldn't stop the sobs and shouts now, he screamed in pain, still clutching at Joel’s hand. His other hand gripped the root of his hair, tugging at it violently as his body rocked back and forth. His arms flailed about when someone wrapped their arms around his torso from behind.
“Sshh, Jim it’s alright... it’s alright.” a soothing voice whispered, placing their arms around Jimmy’s own so he couldn't do anymore damage. He turned into the person’s chest sobbing into it as they soothingly rubbed up and down his spine.
“I don’t wanna leave her Brian, you need to go before the nurse comes.” Jimmy sniffed, wiping his eyes on his sleeve and pulling out the make shift bed from the sofa.
“I just came to talk to her Jim, you go and get a shower and get ready for bed, I’ll be done by then, I promise.” Brian said, handing him his bag from the side of the bed. Jimmy walked over to the bed and picked up Joel’s hand, pressing his lips to her forehead and stroked over the back of her hand with his thumb.
“I’m just gonna grab a shower, Brian’s going to talk to you okay? I’ll be back Jo, don’t go anywhere.” he whispered before going into the bathroom. Brian sat in Jimmy’s chair and hesitantly put his hand on hers, shocked by the coolness, treating her like a porcelain doll.
“Hey Joel, they say that you can hear me and you might be able to come out of that little sleep of yours for Jim. He’s going crazy, Jo, he needs you... I need you. He picked up her arm and kissed the scars on her wrist. “I don’t wanna loose my best friend.” he mumbled into it keeping the discolored skin against his mouth. “I’m sorry baby. I’m sorry for being such a dick, I’m sorry for not being able to keep it in my pants, I’m sorry for not being able to man up and dump her. I love you.” he wiped away a tear and smiled, “Please wake up.” Brian added, placing another delicate kiss to her wrist and getting up. “Jim, I’m going home.” he called, taking one last look at the girl on the bed and walked out of the room.
Jimmy stood in the shower, leaning his head against the tiles as the water drops fell down onto his head. He sighed, remembering how much Joel loved the rain. He shut the water off and wrapped a towel around his lower half, fishing the pajamas out of his bag and laying them on the counter. His boney white hands rubbed down his face as he breathed heavily.
“Cool it Jim, be strong.” he said, looking himself directly in the eye in the mirror. “It’s gonna be okay.” He bit his lip and toweled himself off, slipping on his pj's and running the towel over his still damp hair that stuck against his forehead before cleaning up his mess and returning to his friends bedside. He stared at her for a couple of minutes, before unfolding his bed and setting out the pillows, sheet and duvet. He softly kissed her forehead and wiped away any trace of it before settling down for the night.

The nurses came in and out, never bothering the sleeping boy, only ever smiling trying not to shift his hand that was placed on Jolene’s bedside, his finger tips barely brushing against her cold skin. Jimmy nuzzled into the pillow, letting out a whine.
“Poor boy,” Nurse Collins whispered from the doorway, checking the chart at the door.
“Mmmhmm,” Doctor Thomas agreed, peeking into the room “I don’t think he’s left her side since she got admitted.” he said, tilting his head to the side slightly. The nurse nodded and pursed her lips before walking away to tend to her other patients. The Doctor simply stood and stared until he head people rush into the next room. That unmistakable sound making his heart drop.
Flat line
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the slow updates, still helping my sister through her GCSEs and stuff.
Please comment!
-Krystal <3