Better Make yourself at Home, 'Cause You're Here to Stay

Tara

Drip

Something icy and wet landed on my face, sending away what was left of the chloroform fog. Slumped against a cold brick wall, I scanned my surroundings. I was in a unfinished basement with nothing but a single twin bed with nothing but a mattress with sheets covered in unknown stains, and a small bathroom with nothing but a lonesome dirty toilet.

Gross.

I had to do something, I refused to just be a sitting duck waiting to get shot. I made a move to stand up but I then realized my arms and legs were bound with ropes that if I tried to wiggle against, would rub my skin raw. And I knew I didn't have enough time to sit there and attempt to wiggle free. I had to get out. I needed something sharp. That basement was unfinished, there had to have been some lose pipes somewhere. Hopefully one with a sharp jagged edge to it.

Completely throwing dignity out the door, I scooted across the floor like a dog with worms towards the sharpest pipe I could see. Unfortunately though, the only thing that pipe was cutting was air. And I was out of time. The click of the door opening from the top of stair startled me frozen. All I could was stare horror struck as Werewolf paraded down the stairs with a little smirk on his face.

He waltzed his way over to me and a gave me a once over. His smirk got bigger. “Up to no good now were we?”

I adverted my gaze to the fibers of my jeans.”Your lack of response confirms it, you know?”

I stayed silent. This angered him.

While lifting me by the collar of my t-shirt, he spat in my face. “Now you listen here bitch! You respond when I ask you a question! Didn't your father teach you better? ” He yelled and he tossed me into the metal bed frame with a loud thunk. I toppled over on to the bed, and landed in pile of sheets that smelt like piss. I teared up a little and bit my lip in pain. It really hurt.

He then crawled over me and yanked me by my hair. But I didn't make a peep. I'm not going to give a murderer the benefit of making squeal.

He smirked down at me. “Must have been great living with a rich daddy who was never around and always getting and doing what you wanted. Well guess, that’s all going to change here. Your going to follow my rules, cause I'm in control here.” And then he shoved my face into the bed. I felt the rusty old springs dig into my cheek bones.

“The only thing that you have control of here Pete is what your going to eat for breakfast.” Pete's head shot up, but I couldn't see the face he was making or what the new person looked like. My face was still being shoved into springs.

“More control then she has.”

I heard the other guy chuckle. “I think not. We can't kill her. But we sure as hell don't mind getting rid of you. She's higher up on the importance level then you are.”

Pete grumbled, and let me go to go get in the other guys face. I watched, with an indifferent look on my face. But inside my head, I silently hoped the new guy beats 'Pete's' butt.

“I hope you know, that I have twenty-five men who stand behind me and would gladly kick your ass.”

“Unless you throw money in their face.” The guy said with a smirk.

“They're not that shallow, they're loyal to me. Been there for them through anything and everything.”

The guy smirked. “I really don't think you know you men as well as you think you do. Why don't you have a little chat with them hmm? Be sure to take notice of their fancy new suits.”

Pete glowered down at the guy, but he didn't back down. He stood there and looked him right in the eye, smirking the whole time. Of course that didn't help cool down Pete. It actually made him seethe with rage; It even looked like they were going to fight. But Pete just huffed and stomped up the stairs. Even slammed the door behind him to add a little more emphasis.

“Idiot.” The guy in front of me muttered under his breathe.

And then he turned and looked at me, giving me a look I couldn't comprehend so I just stared back, curious. He was my age, maybe a little older. What was he doing in a place like this?

Was he the good guy or the bad guy?

Friend or foe?

“Why did you stop him?”

After a long grueling awkward silence, he finally responded while shrugging, “Just wanted to see what the daughter of the big shot Johnathon Blair was like.”

I stared up at him, silent. “Plus, I needed to give you a message from my father.”

Once again, I didn't respond so he continued. “He told me to tell you, welcome. He hopes you enjoy your stay.”

Nauseated, I spoke. “So your father is the one who hired Pete to kidnap me?” My voice started off strong but cracked at the end due to lack of hydration. Or maybe it was fear. For the sake of my pride, I hoped it was the former.

“Bingo.”

I cleared my throat, “Why? What issue does he have with my father?”

“Now that is classified information for only family members to know.”

I gave him a look. “I think I have a right to know if I'm being dragged into the middle.”

He shrugged again. “You'll find out eventually. But your not going to hear it from me.”

I rolled my eyes. “Fine. Well what can you tell me?”

“What your having for breakfast, which is a bagel by the way.”

“My dad might be rich and I might be spoiled but I'm not like those other spoiled rich girls. I actually have a stomach.”

My tummy growled in agreement.

He raised an eyebrow. “And they don't?”

“They sure act like they don't.”

He smirked, and shook his head. “Its either that or nothing.”

“Come on! I'm going to die of starvation.” I whined.

He shrugged. “Tough luck.”

“Fine.” I turned my whole body towards him and sat with my legs crossed. “Does my father know yet?”

“Hard to say. If he came home last night, then most definitely.”

“Tara, what about Tara?”

He raised an eyebrow at me.

“The housekeeper. What did they...do with her?” My voice shook but I kept my head up high.

He stared into my eyes, contemplating. And finally, after a long heart-wrenching silence, he answered. “I don't know.”

“You don't know or do you just not want to tell me?”

He responded quickly, not showing any signs of lying. “I don't know.”

I sighed and turned my body towards the wall. I wrapped my arms around my legs and rested my head on my knees.

“Well, if you need anything. Just holler.”

I didn't answer but I heard his foot steps retreating up the stair case. And when the door slammed shut, the tears came. I sat there, curled against the wall, and sobbed Tara's name over and over again in till eventually I passed out from exhaustion.