Status: Anus.

Pull Out My Insides

Zara Alisa Randall

We pass a baby store and before I can run away, Asher grabs my hand and pulls me into the store, not waiting for me to catch my breath. Once a few things catch my attention and bring my mind out of the angry rut, I start to loosen up and take into consideration the things I'll have to buy in the near future. About thirty minutes later, Asher and I meet up at the cashier with a few items each, comparing and laughing.

**A few hours later**
"So, I had a really good time today," I tell him shyly at my door.

"I did, too," he replies, smiling.

"I'll, uh, see you later?"

"For sure," he grins, turning around and making his way back to his car.

Once he waves once more to me and drives away, I open my door slowly, not wanting to be back home.

"Zara, that you?!" my mom yells through the house.

"Yeah, it's me!" I respond, walking awkwardly to the kitchen.

"Where were you?" she asks, concern on her face. "You didn't call."

"Sorry, Asher and I were--"

"Asher? What were you doing with Asher?"

"If you didn't interrupt me, I'd tell you," I fake glare at her, causing her to give me a disapproving look.

"We just went to the mall and talked."

"Talked? About what?"

"Politics. What do you think?" I exclaim with sarcasm dripping from my words, throwing my hands up in the air.

"And what did he say?" she asks, eyes scanning mine.

"He said that he wants to be in the baby's life."

"Did he?"

"That's what I just said," I respond flatly.

"Well, that's good. But, Zara--"

"I know, I know, he hurt me and blah blah blah. I know. I'm being cautious. I've already been very clear that we're not getting back together and we most likely never will because he can't hurt me like that. And he still wanted to be in her life."

She gives me a solitary nod. "Okay, Zara. Just be careful. This time can be even worse; there are more things at stake here. There's a baby to take into consideration."

"Don't you think I know that, Mom? Gah!" I huff, taking the Nutella and pickles from the pantry before storming up to my room, ranting under my breath the whole way.

"Doesn't she know that I wouldn't let anyone, anyone, hurt my daughter no matter who they are?" I whisper to myself, opening the containers and rubbing my stomach.

"Doesn't she trust me?"