Status: I just put up the last chapter! I'm working on a sequel though :)

Cross my heart...

Blood

When I walked into Isaac’s room, the nurse was swabbing his scar tissue intently with a cotton swab and a chemical of some sort that filled the closed in room like when Lara would pull fresh-baked cookies out of the oven late at night except so much more worse.
“I’m almost done here;” the nurse said before I could even ask, “then I’ll leave you two alone to talk.”
I nodded and smiled and looked at the two plastic chairs that were in the room. I walked past the chair next to Isaac and sat in the one next to the window. I sighed as the window was cracked just a smidge, letting all the cool, fresh air in and letting all the fowl aromas of the chemicals out. Ah, fresh, clean air. I took in a deep breath.
After a few minutes went by, the nurse finally spoke, “Alright Isaac. You’re all done. I’ll leave you and your girlfriend to by alone,” she smiled kindly at us before she turned for the door, “I’m sure she’s been worried all day about you.”
“Umm… excuse me miss, but I’m not—“
“Yeah, I’m sure she has. She’s the worrying type.” Isaac said as he cut me off midsentence.
She just smiled and walked out before I could say anything else.
Right as she closed the door, I turned to him. I could feel the heat rise to my cheeks in embarrassment, “Umm… just curious, Isaac… why’d you tell her I was your girlfriend?”
He smiled sheepishly, “I didn’t technically tell her you were my girlfriend…” He smirked, “I just agreed with the kind nurse,” he said as his smile grew wider, “is there a problem with that Haley?”
I sighed and closed my eyes, counting backwards from ten. I opened my eyes to see he was still staring at me with those wondrous eyes of his. If I had a choice, I would stare into those eyes for days if I could, “No, there is no problem… for now,” I sighed again, “Just don’t go telling all your friends we’re together… okay?” I warned.
A slight glint of pain fell upon his eyes, but only for a moment before he was all happy and chipper again, “Okay. No problem there… but, uh, why wouldn’t you want me to tell my friends we’re together?” He asked painfully.
I actually had to think about that for a minute. Why didn’t I want him to tell anybody we were together? I’m practically in love with him already. Why not? “I… want… to keep my options open? Yup, that sounds about right.” I thought out loud; not realizing those words actually came out of my mouth until he started laughing at me.
I pouted, “Why are you laughing at me?” I asked, pretending to be more than a little hurt by his mock laughter.
He saw how hurt I pretended to be and instantly stopped laughing and frowned, “I’m sorry. I thought you were kidding. But… do you want to be with me? Ever?” He asked seriously.
I stopped to think again. Do I? Of course I do! I might be in love with the guy. I don’t know why, but being with him now just doesn’t feel right. But why? If I love him, shouldn’t I be with him?
Right when I opened my mouth to speak, the nurse walked back in, interrupting my thoughts and changing the subject completely. Thank god. This was getting too awkward for words, “Hey, kiddies. Have a nice talk while I was gone?” she said with a bright smile.
Neither of us answered her question. Both of us looked everywhere but at each other and her.
“I’ll just take that as a no,” she assumed automatically, “Well, your test results came back extraordinarily fast.”
I raised my eyebrows, “Doesn’t it take days, or at the very least, hours to get text results back?” I asked.
She just glanced at me, “Yes, it does. I don’t know why, but his texts came back as…” She paused and looked at either one of us with wide eyes for dramatic effect, “… unidentified.”
Icy chills went up my spine as she said it dramatically. Like the climax of a horror movie when you know something bad is about to happen. And guess what? Here’s the shocker. You ready for it? I was right. I didn’t know half of what was coming, “I don’t get what that’s supposed to mean. Is that good? Is that supposed to be bad?” I said in a rush. I was starting to panic as I waited for her to answer. It seemed hours when she finally did.
She looked down at the charts she held in her hand then back up to me yet again, “I’m honestly not really sure. His DNA came up as unidentified specimen. We’ll run more texts, but for some reason. The DNA sample we took was obliterated when we mixed it with the lab chemicals we use to run tests. So we’re going to have to take a couple more samples, if that’s okay with you?” She said, turning to Isaac.
He nodded his OK as she smiled and nodded in agreement.
She pulled out five or six needles and a couple cotton swabs, “Now we’re going to have to run a different test that involves your blood, we figured maybe your skin cells weren’t just enough to go through the testing procedure.” I waited patiently as she did what she had to do. I watched her silently the whole way through the process: wrapping the rubber tube around his arm, trying to find a vein but when she was getting ready to pierce the needle through his skin I had to look away.
After about the sixth capsule of blood was capped and ready to be shipped off for lab work, she looked up at us with a sweet smile, “Alrighty, I’m all done here. I’ll go ask your doctor when you can get checked out of here and escape this smelly torture.” She smiled bigger. I think she might have a little crush on Isaac. It made me a little jealous when he smiled back at her. I wasn’t sure if he was just being polite or he was flirting. Either way, I don’t blame him. She is absolutely gorgeous and has a very infectious smile. I even caught myself smiling at her.
She had long black hair held back in a loose ponytail that swayed with every movement she made. Her eyes put the Atlantic Ocean itself to shame with how blue her eyes are. She smiled and the room seemed to light up automatically. Her skin had a natural olive tone to it and she had this glowing quality to her. Her personality alone is enough to catch any man’s attention and I don’t even know her. Practically everything about her was beautiful. I couldn’t help but smile when she turned to me and said with a sweet smile, “You’re really lucky to have such a unique boyfriend on your hands,” the she turned and left the room without another word.
“Thank you. At least you think I’m unique.” He muttered even though she was too far to hear him.
“Yeah, and he’s not my boyfriend.” I grumbled under my breath as I turned to the closet to get his clothes. I sighed as I looked up into the closet. Oh but of course. They absolutely had to be on the top shelf, and I have to be only 5’2. I reached and reached with everything I had. I stood on the very tip of my toes. I picked a bad day to wear flats. This was just a bad day in general.
My train of thought was ruined at the feel of hands on my waist. I looked over my shoulder to see Isaac smiling down at me, “Why you smiling?” I whispered.
His smile grew wider, from ear to ear, “You just make me smile. Even when you’re not trying to? He whispered back. His smile slowly faded as he hesitantly leaned in for a kiss. Wow. Even in a hospital room. Not exactly the most romantic place on earth; but, hey, it works for me.
He was so close; I could feel his rugged breath hot on my face. His eyes were gazing at my lips, intent on what he was about to do. I reached my hand up behind his neck as his arms slinked around my waist. I’ve been waiting for this moment for what seemed like an eternity, always being interrupted. But I’m not gonna have it anymore. I closed my eyes as I tried to slowly stand on the tips of my toes to meet him half way.
“Ready to go Isaac?” A different nurse walked in as if on cue.
Or not…
I groaned as he mumbled, “I’m never gonna catch a break, am I?” He reluctantly stepped away from me.
“You and me both Hun,” I whispered back. I smiled as he tried to suppress a laugh, “You better get dressed so we can get out of here.” I blushed slightly as he smiled and winked.
He stretched out his arm above me to get his clothes and shoes. I looked down just as he was reaching and noticed he wasn’t even standing on the tips of his toes to reach the top shelf. Oh well of course. Why should he stand on the tips of his toes like me when he’s over six feet tall? Lucky guy, he’s probably 6’4.
He walked away from me and over to the other side of the hospital bed to carelessly throw his clothes on the bed. He started to untie his little apron thing the nurse insisted he wear.
I didn’t even realize I was staring until he turned around and started staring back at me. I just stood there blankly, trying to figure out why he was staring at me like that.
Then I realized he wanted me to leave so he could actually change, “Oh, uh, sorry. I guess I’ll just be leaving now. I’ll be right outside if you need me.” I told him as I put my hand in front of my eyes. As I walked to the door, I gave him an awkward smile over my shoulder and ended up running my opposite shoulder into the door frame. I grunted at the sing growing in my shoulder. I didn’t dare turn around and face his cruel, teasing remarks and smirks. I could hear his laughter behind me as I bolted through the door. I grunted and put my head in my hands as I leaned against the wall. How flipping embarrassing is that! Well, I guess it could’ve been ten times worse.
I sighed and moved to sit under the windowsill of Isaac’s room. I sat there and waited until my butt went numb. He takes longer than a girl on prom night to get read! Holy crap!
I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in through my nose and let it out slowly through my mouth. My eyes slowly opened as a sweet aroma filled warmly throughout my entire body. It smelled extraordinarily delicious… and especially familiar.
I could only recognize it as blood.
I got up off the windowsill and followed the keen scent down the hallway into a freezer room filled with cold containers of blood.
I noticed a little too late a packet lying broken on the floor, oozing fresh blood.
I quickly snatched up the baggie before all its contents leaked out onto the cement floor.
I was hesitant to take a taste. But its seductive aroma compelled me to do so. My heart raced at the sight of the blood drenching my fingers.
I put the tip of my finger to my lip. I flicked out my tongue, brushing it lightly against my bloodied finger.
I gasped as the taste burst through my body, warming my body down to the very core of my existence.
I can’t describe what it tastes like; all I know is that the sensation it sent through me veins and muscles was too overly intense to just stand there and look at it as it spilled through the cracks of my fingers and waste away to the growing puddle on the ground. I could feel my so-called fangs grow against my bidding. I haven’t even noticed they were gone before I forced my lips around the opening of the bag and sucked out all of its contents. I closed my eyes and let the sensation fill me to the fullest. It felt like ecstasy on steroids in a tiny plastic bag.
When I finally completely drained all the delicious plasma from the bag, I had to physically stop myself from getting another one. Then I realized what just happened. What I just did. I dropped the empty bag and watched in horror as it floated lightly to the ground.
I ran out of the freezer room before anyone simultaneously walked in on me.
I darted into the nearest bathroom. Thank god no one was in it. I leaned against the door as bile rose from the pit of my stomach. I nearly tripped over the tile as I ran to the toilet and emptied my stomach into the porcelain bowl.
Once I didn’t feel nauseous anymore, I wiped my mouth with a tissue and took a quick look in the mirror. Then I did a double take.
My skin seemed like it was literally glowing. So were my eyes, glowing bright green. I was absolutely beautiful, if I do say so myself. I smiled at my reflection as I touched the skin on my face. It was soft as silk. I looked over my reflection with a smile, thinking I looked almost as beautiful as that nurse. Then almost instantly, I closed my mouth into a straight line as my skin paled to the color of fresh snow.
I had fangs. Pearly white canine fangs.
I leaned in closer to the mirror, hoping I was just imagining them. As I stared had at them, wishing them away as they were really freaking me out, they went away. Just like that. They quickly were sucked back up into my gums and were replaced with normal, human canine teeth. What a relief!
A knock on the other side of the door startled me, “Haley? You in there?” I heard Isaac’s hushed voice, “The doctor said we could leave now.”
“Alright. Just a minute.” I wiped the remaining blood smears from the corners of my mouth and flushed the toilet. I quickly fixed my hair before turning around and opening the heavy wooden door.
I swung the door open to see Isaac leaning against the wall with his leg propped up and his arm wrapped up in a bandage, his hair a complete mess. He has never looked sexier.
I smiled as sweetly as I could and walked up to him, “I’m good to go.”
As we walked out to his car, his arm brushed up against mine, sending electricity up my arm. The electricity was cut short as he pulled away from me to open the passenger side door and waited for me to get in, “Are you sure you can drive? You’ve lost a lot of blood today.”
He smiled that irresistible grin of his, “I’m fine. They let me out, didn’t they? Thanks for your concern though.”
I opened my mouth to say something but just looked down at my feet as I blushed, “Yeah, I guess.”
“Just hop in,” He said. I could hear the smile in his honey sweet voice.
I sighed as I reluctantly slid in the passenger seat and waited for him to close the door. When I didn’t hear a click of the door, I looked up to see him staring at me in wonder.
I blushed, “What?” I asked innocently.
“Thank you.” Was all he said before shutting the door in my face.
“For what?” I asked before he could even get into the driver’s seat.
He gave a small chuckle, “For pretty much saving my life. I owe you one squirt.” He explained before starting up the engine, making the car roar to life.
I smiled at his little nickname for me, “Oh, well, you’re welcome. And you don’t owe me anything.” I replied while a generous smile.
He just smiled back before pulling out of the parking lot. For the rest of the way, we sat in silence. It wasn’t necessarily awkward but there was most definitely a hint of it.
It was a little too quiet for me, “Where are we going?” I asked randomly.
“We, my dear, are going to get your car. I don’t think you’d want a nice and expensive car like that sitting on the side of the road for someone to steal” he explained dramatically.
Then, as if on cue, we stopped directly behind my car.
“That was quick.” I exclaimed.
He just laughed.
I got out of the passenger seat right as he got out of the driver’s side.
I looked over at him confused, “What do you think you’re doing?”
“I’m being a gentleman and walking you to your car. Is that a crime?” He asked playfully as he put up his hands in surrender.
I smiled as he walked me to my door. I gave him a big hug before turning toward the door. I felt a familiar spark as he grasped my hand in his. When I turned around to face him, the headlights off his car illuminated half of his gorgeous face and only a small triangle under his eyes on the other side.
“Yes, Isaac?” I asked in a whisper as he stared down into my eyes.
He gave me a wicked smile, “We’re alone. In an abandoned street. With nobody else around.” He told me out of the blue.
I gave a slow, confused grin, “Yeah… your point being? You’re not gonna kill me are you? Cause people will come looking for me, you know.”
He just laughed as he slide his hands around my waist as he lightly pressed my body against the car door. I didn’t need an answer. I wound my arms around his neck as he slowly bent his head toward mine for a kiss. I gasped and pulled back just as something wet and cold splashed on my cheek.
It was raining. I smiled to myself as I slid out of Isaac’s arms to go dance in the middle of the road as the rain started down on me, completely forgetting that Isaac was just about to kiss me. It started to really pour now, drenching every inch of my body. I absolutely loved it. I threw my head back and spread my arms wide open, welcoming the rain like an old friend; closing my eyes, enjoying every moment of it.
I looked over at Isaac. He was staring at me in amusement. I smiled graciously, waving at him invitingly to join me in the middle of the road. Surprisingly, he took the offer and came to stand right in front of me. I smiled sweetly up at him as I started spinning and moving my feet to an unheard rhythm. He stopped me mid-spin. He slowly wrapped his arms around me and swayed us lightly in circles, pressing his forehead against mine. I looked up at him, smiling as the rain dripped down my face.
He raised his hand and moved a wet strand of hair off my face then rested his hand on my cheek. I leaned into his hand as I stared up into his eyes. My hands hooked behind his neck, gently pulling him down to me until I was almost touching his lovely lips. I could feel his breath hot and heavy against mine.
Then, finally, the most amazing thing happened. The thing I’ve been wanting and waiting for. He closed the distance and pressed his wet lips against mine.
His lips were soft and amazingly warm against mine as the rain came down harder, showering upon us. His hands on my waist tried to pull me further into his body while our bodies were already melded together. My hands were still on his neck as I stood on the very tips of my toes to get closer. I couldn’t get enough of him. I was caught off guard from the random dizziness; then I realized I haven’t taken a single breath yet. I broke our passionate kiss and took a slow, steady breath. I opened my eyes to see him looking down at me whit questioning eyes.
I smiled up at him. As he smiled back, my heart ached and I didn’t know why. Something was wrong, really wrong. I could feel it deep down inside.
There was a glint of something in his eyes he was trying so hard to keep inside, hidden from me. Something like heartbreak. I could tell he was hurting deep down inside.
I gently put my hands on either side of his face and looked deep into those golden green eyes of his and listened intently. Trying to listen for his wandering thoughts. There was one in particular that screamed at me.
What have I done? I shouldn’t have done this. It’s just gonna hurt worse in the end when I lose her. Just like all the other times.
What is he talking about? He’s not gonna lose me. I’m not going anywhere.
She’s changing. I can feel it.
I stared back at him, stunned. I pushed him away from me and ran for my car. I yanked open the door and got in as quickly as I could. He stood in confused silence outside my door. Right when my car roared to life, he realized what I did. Oh, sure, now he believes I can read minds.
So he knows to. Does everyone in the god forsaken town know except for me? God! What the hell is going on?! Will it ever end?
I could hear his muffled voice yelling for me to stop and wait. That he needed to talk to me.
I didn’t want to hear him. I sped away as fast as the car would allow with tears blurring my gaze. This day just keeps getting better and better, doesn’t it?
When I got home, the first thing I did was check the front of the car of any sort of damage.
Crap. There’s a scratch. Well, I guess it could’ve been worse. Especially of how hard I hit that dog-like beast.
I sighed a great relief. I took my book bag out of the trunk and ran up the stone steps to the front door.
I took a deep breath to calm myself and opened the door. I wiped the remaining tears from my eyes and forced a fake smiled across my lips, “Haley! Is that you?!” I heard Raquelle yell from the kitchen followed by high heel shoes running quickly on the porcelain tile.
“Yeah, it’s me. Sorry I’m so late.” I said as I gently laid my book bag on the floor next to the door.
I lifted my head just in time to be enveloped in a big bear hug. “We were so worried about you! Why didn’t you call us to let us know where you were?”
I laughed slightly and pulled away, “Well, for one, I don’t have the number to the house; and two, I don’t have a phone to call you in case of emergencies.” I explained logically.
She just giggled slightly, “I guess it would help if you had our numbers and had a cell phone. I’ll get you one tomorrow, I promise. I’m just glad you’re okay. I was beginning to think the worst!” She told me before wrapping her arms around me in another big bear hug, “Dinner is ready, just so you know.” She smiled sweetly and walked away, leaving me standing by the door all by my lonesome. I sighed and took off my flats and left them by the door.
“Great! I’m famished. What’s for dinner?”
“Steak!” I heard James yell casually from the kitchen, “how do you want it?” he asked as I turned the corner into the kitchen.
“Rare,” I replied, “I like my meat bloody and juicy.”
Holy crap… where the hell did that come from? I don’t think I really like this new me. I’m really starting to scare myself, “I mean medium rare.”
I shook my head and sighed as I took my now usual spot at the dining room table, waiting patiently for my delicious steak. Unfortunately, just the thought of it made my mouth water.
When dinner was finally served I was practically inhaling it before it even got to the table.
I leaned back and looked up from an empty plate, practically licked clean, and sighed. Then I noticed all eyes were on me. The whole family, including Nevaeh, stared at me with judgmental eyes.
I could feel heat rise to my cheeks, “I was hungry,” I explained, “really hungry.”
Raquelle just smiled awkwardly and nodded before going back to eating.
I blushed even more and excused myself to go to my room. I snatched my book bag that was by the door and headed upstairs.
When I entered my room exhaustedly and threw my bag on the bed. A paper slipped out of one of the many pockets.
I walked over to my bed and picked it up. I sat on the edge of my bed and just stared at it curiously. I recognized it now as the piece of paper Will left for me in the widow of my car. I’m gonna give him a call. I have nothing better to do. Besides, the way my day is going, I need someone to take my mind of things.
I skipped excitedly down the stairs and snatched the house phone off the hook. I didn’t realized I was doing anything wrong until I turned around and nearly ran into Raquelle with a suspicious glare on her face, “What are you doing with the house phone?”
I hesitantly looked up into her eyes, “I’m gonna go call a friend in my room real quick. Do you think,” I hesitated, “I could maybe hang out with them tonight?” I asked shyly. I’m not used to asking anyone if I could hang out with someone. All my friends were at the orphanage, I didn’t need to ask.
She paused, holding almost perfectly still for what seemed like an eternity, “I don’t think that’s such a good idea, Hun. Maybe you should stay home tonight. You know, so you can get settled in?” She replied unconvincingly. She’s obviously hiding something from me but I wasn’t about to call her out on it after how kind she’s been to me.
“But, I’m already settled in,” I argued nicely in a small voice. I don’t want to set off my new mother. That wouldn’t be too good to piss her off only a couple days into my stay would it?
“I know, Haley. I would just like for you to stay home tonight. If that’s okay.” She argued back in a sweet and gently voice, making it nearly impossible to make a fair argument.
I sighed and surrendered, “Alright Raquelle. I’ll stay in tonight. Can I still call my friend at least?” I asked hopefully, giving her my best puppy-eye look.
She smiled at my eager puppy eyes, “Of course you can, sweetie. Just make it quick. I’m expecting an important phone call here soon.” She replied with a sweet smile before turning away from me to go back into the kitchen.
I smiled eagerly and ran up the stairs with a speed that didn’t seem normal. I plopped down on my bed and dialed his number quickly.
It rang three or four times. I was about to hang up when I hear his husky voice on the other line, “Hello?
I smiled and opened my mouth to say something, anything, but not one word came out. I was completely speechless. I didn’t know what to say! What should I say? I forgot how cute his voice was. Oh my god, this is not good.
“Hello? Anyone there?” He repeated, his voice holding a slight note of impatience.
“Uh… Yeah. It’s Haley.” I said quickly before he could hang up.
“Oh hey! I was hoping you’d call.” He said. I could hear that gorgeous smile in his voice.
“Oh, well, yeah. Here I am, calling you.” I laughed nervously.
I practically melted when I heard his laugh, “Yeah, I guess so. So do you want to hang out with me, Betsy, and a couple of friends of ours?” He asked optimistically, getting straight to the point.
I hesitated and groaned, “Yeah, about that,” I paused, “I can’t hang out tonight. My mom wants me to stay home tonight for some odd reason.” I explained.
“Oh I see,” he took a minute before saying anything else, choosing his words carefully, “Why don’t you just, you know, sneak out when you know everyone is asleep?” He suggested nonchalantly.
I never thought of that. That’s actually a good idea. But could turn out to be very bad.
I almost forgot he was on the phone, “What time do you think me and Betsy should come by to get you?” He asked spontaneously, interrupting my train of thought.
I thought for a minute before answering. They usually go to bed around nine or ten.
“Maybe around ten thirty to eleven.” I answered as coolly as my quivering voice would allow.
“Alright Haley. I guess I’ll see you then,” He said, “Bye.” He hesitated, as if he didn’t want to go. His voice held an unspoken promise.
I pressed the end button without another word. His voice left chills on my skin. I sighed. Now all I have to do is hold out until then. Hopefully it won’t be too hard. Just have to stay calm and try not to seem too excited.
Easy enough… Right?
I casually changed into a non-suspicious tank-top and pajama bottoms and calmly walked downstairs to put the phone back on the hook.
Act normal. Act calm. I chanted to myself.
“OH, Haley. Great timing. Will you come help me with the dishes please?” I heard James ask from around the corner.
Dang it, “Uh, yeah, sure.” I replied and walked around the counter to stand by him at the sink.
He looked over at me with a tender smile, “I wash, you dry?” he asked.
I begrudgingly grabbed a dry towel and hovered over the sink. He smiled and dipped a bowl into the soapy water, completely oblivious to my non-existent enthusiasm, “We’re not as old fashioned as we seem, I promise. We actually do have a dishwasher, but it broke a little over a month ago so we have to do it this way for the time being.”
I wasn’t really paying attention as he went on and on about something that I wasn’t quite sure of. After about three or four dishes, he leaned in closer to me and murmured under his breath, “I’m really glad you’re here with us, Haley. Yeah, I know you’ve been hearing that a lot from Raquelle. But I just wanted you to know that I’m also glad you’re here.” He finished his little mini speech, smiling happily down at me. I smiled back, to make him and myself feel better. Even though we both know it was a little awkward.
We didn’t talk much more through the rest of the dishes. He just washed and I just dried.
We were finally done when nine rolled around. James gave me a soapy, wet hug for helping with the dishes before going upstairs to put Nevaeh and Mason to bed. This left me all alone with Raquelle.
We just sat in the living room and watched T.V with her on the couch and me in the couch chair with the foot rest propped open even through my legs were tucked away underneath me.
She broke the silence, “I’m really, truly sorry Haley.”
I looked over at her with a confused look, “About what?”
She sighed, “Making you stay home. I feel kinda bad about it. I just would like it if you stayed home with the family tonight. If you’d like, you can go hang out with your new friends’ tomorrow night. Okay?” She explained.
I smiled reassuringly, hoping the guilt didn’t show, “it’s fine. I know you’re just being a parent. I’ve never really had parents so I was kinda happy you did that. I’m just glad someone else is looking out for me other than myself, you know?”
She nodded slightly, her eyes on her hands in her lap, “Yes, I know what you mean.”
“It’s just, after being an orphan for so long, it feels nice to actually have someone there for me. Don’t get me wrong, Laura was absolutely terrific. But she wasn’t always there. She had so many other children to look after. Well, so do you just not as many.” I explained. She laughed wholeheartedly at my little joke through it wasn’t too funny.
When James came back down, he sat by Raquelle on the couch and put his arm lovingly around her, “CSI: Crime Scene Investigators is on,” he said. My eyes just lit up, I’m sure, “You girls want to watch it?”
Before he could even get the last word out, I squeaked, “Yes!” they gave me a funny looked and smiled. I blushed under the heat of their stares, “I mean, only if you guys want to.” What I really mean is: let’s watch it to pass the time until you guys go to bed and I get to sneak out and see Will… and Betsy of course.
I wasn’t paying any attention to the show though. All I could think about is how I’m pretty much betraying Isaac. He asked me not to talk to Will and Betsy, let alone see them. I felt terrible about it. I really hope he wasn’t going to be spying when I sneak out tonight.
It was around ten o’clock when CSI ended.
I looked at James as he yawned, “Well, I think we’re gonna go to bed,” James told me as he stretched, “It’s about that time anyway. And you should be getting to bed to missy.”
I gave a good, convincing yawn, “Yeah, I guess. I’m pretty tired to.” I said as I slowly dragged myself out of the chair and started up the stairs, trying my hardest to look exhausted, which it was actually quite tiresome to look exhausted so I’m pretty sure I pulled it off.
James gave me a tight hug and a small peck on the forehead before heading off to their room. Raquelle stayed behind for a few minutes, “I know you’ve already said it was okay in all, but I still feel really bad about not letting you go. I’m so, so sorry. I just think you need to stay here tonight, I just have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.” She explained for the umpteenth time.
I smiled patiently and gave her a hug, “it’s fine Raquelle. Really, it’s not the end of the world if I can’t hang out with my friend one night.” I told her, feeling more than a little guilty for what I was gonna do tonight.
She smiled her sweet, innocent smile, completely in the dark of my plans tonight, “Okay. As long as you say it’s fine.” She walked off toward her room leaving me standing on the stairs in silence; thinking to myself quietly.
If I do this, and I get caught, it could possibly, completely destroy the trust they have for me. But I won’t get caught… will I? I’ve never snuck out before but I’ve seen it in movies. I’m pretty sure I can pull this off. I just have to be super quiet.
I sighed and quickly ran into my room. I only have about twenty minutes to get ready before they get here.
I rummaged through my new wardrobe to find something cute to wear, but something that says more… I’m-not-trying-to-hard-to-impress-anyone. Then I smiled eagerly as I came across a black t-shirt with a slightly low V-neck. I snatched a light blue tank-top to underneath it and picked out a pair of blue jeans, slightly ripped at the thighs, knees and shins.
I pulled my hair back into a tight ponytail to keep it out of my face and redid my makeup. I brushed my bangs to the side and took a step back to take a good look in the mirror. Oh, my god… I look like the gothic form of Barbie. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, letting it out slow and steady. I’m ready. I took a glimpse at the clock. The bright red letters of my alarm clock read 10:24. Good timing, only six minutes to spare.
I lay back on my pillow and relaxed. Breathing in slowly, calming my nerves.
I didn’t realize I feel asleep until I heard a tap at my window, jolting me right out of my daze. I looked over at the clock: 11:02. Well, I guess it’s a good thing I took a nap if they got here this late.
I quickly ran to the window and yanked it open.
I looked down to see Betsy standing below my windowsill, leaning against the trunk of the tree growing outside my window. A handful of rocks in one hand and a guy I didn’t recognize holding her other one. Two other people, another boy and a girl that I also didn’t recognize standing close behind them, “Are you coming new girl? Or do I have to come up there and get you myself?” She whispered up to me.
I held up my index finger and mouthed one second. I slightly back away from the window and took in an excited breath before putting my right leg through to the low-rising tree branch right below my window.
I got both feet on the branch. When I was about to let go of the windowsill to drop silently to the ground, I looked up and noticed the light in my room was till on. Shit! That would be a dead giveaway to my absence. But I’m already out the window. She’ll think I’m chicken if I turn around and go back in.
I grunted and was about to pull myself back through the window to hurry and turn off the light when suddenly the light switch flipped off and a big gust of wind blew out, slamming the window shut. I gasped and quickly pulled back my fingers before they were slammed shut in the window, forcing my weight on the thin branch I stood on. I panicked when I heard a loud crack and started falling head first to the ground.
I took in a deep breath and sealed my eyes shut, anticipating the hard impact of the ground against my head.
But, instead, I was shocked to feel my feet plant themselves firmly on the ground. I hesitantly opened my eyes, expecting to by lying on my back, staring up at Betsy as she laughed in my face. Instead, I open them to be standing steadily and staring into the curious eyes of Betsy and her curious friends.
“Dude! That was friggin’ awesome!” A tall, very well built guy I didn’t recognize shouted, “How the hell did she do that?” He asked, looking around at the members of the small group before planting his curious green eyes on me.
I looked at Betsy as she rolled her eyes and started walking over to me, “Sorry. He’s a new addition to our little group of outcasts.” She smiled half-heartedly.
She draped an arm over my shoulder and walked me over to the car while the others followed behind, “Umm… Where’s Will?” I asked shyly.
She didn’t answer right away. Instead she looked down and jingled her keys as she looked around to find the car the keys belonged to. Once she did, I heard a click as she turned the key then a loud creak as she opened the rusted door to her blue Buick. She gave a small, humorless chuckle, “I need to get my door oiled,” She folded back the seat then looked at me, “He’s meeting us at the park. Now the sooner you get in, the sooner you get to see your lover boy.” She said as she impatiently pushed me in.
She stood by the door as she waited for the only other girl to climb in next to me while the tall, built guy got in on my other side. She got into the driver’s seat as show I thought was her boyfriend got into the passenger’s seat. She put the key in the ignition and put the car in gear, “Let’s roll bitches!”
Not too far into the car ride, the girl sitting to my left turned to me, “How do you know Will?” When I looked at her, she seemed like she was in a daze, like she was deep in thought.
“I, uh, met him in Spanish class yesterday, along with Betsy.” I answered hesitantly.
She finally came out of her daze and looked up at me. Her eyes held an icy cold stare though her eyes were a dark chocolate brown, almost the same color as the curls cascading down her back, “Be careful. He can be a real heartbreaker. Trust me, I should know,” I thought she was done as she slowly turned her head to stare out the window to watch the shadows of the night pass by in a dark haze. I kinda just stared at her questioningly for a minute. I was about to look away from her when she said in an emotionless voice, “He’s not the sweet guy you think he is.”
I didn’t know what she meant and honestly, I really didn’t want to. But her words left shills across my skin. I didn’t answer her. Instead I just stared straight ahead and watched headlights illuminate the trees and bushes as we approached then leave them in the shadows as we passed.
Before I knew it, we had stopped and everyone was getting out of the car. The guy who was sitting to my right in the backseat held out his hand to help me out, “I’m Sean,” he introduced himself with a confident smile. He was actually sorta cute with that shaggy, curly hair and eyes that held life and intelligence. If I wasn’t already into two other guys, I would go for him.
I smiled back weakly as I took his hand, “I’m Haley,” I said back as he nearly yanked me out of the car. He caught me thought so it’s all good. In a way, it seemed like he did that on purpose, “nice to meet you.”
He smiled and let me go once I was able to stand on my own unsteady feet. Once I finally caught my balance and fixed my clothes, I looked around at my surroundings. I got a little nervous as I noticed we were in a deserted park near the high school. Well of course it’s going to be deserted. It’s like eleven thirty at night. But, admittedly, the park was creepy this late. The swings were swaying gently in the slight breeze as the wind whistled through holes in the slide, making it sound like joyless laughter. How the leaves pick up on the wind and float softly on the cool draft like little hands are carrying them off.
“He said he was going to meet us here, didn’t he?” Asked the other girl besides Betsy and me.
Betsy stopped pacing and turned to her annoyed, “Oh calm down Diana. He’ll be here soon.” Betsy snapped.
I just stood still in the silence, hoping, just hoping, Will would just magically appear and I wouldn’t be so awkward stand here with people I didn’t know.
We all sat around Betsy’s car in complete silence. Finally, Betsy decided, “We’ll just have to leave without him then. No problem. I’m sure we’ll run into him along the way.” She explained with a reassuring smile as she grabbed her boyfriend’s, now known as Jonny, hand and walked on a path leading into the forest behind the park. Each of us followed her one by one. I, of course, was the last to follow, which I don’t know why. I hate being last. And this forest, woods, whatever you call it, is pretty damn creepy.
Right out of the blue, Sean stopped abruptly and made me bump into him. He laughed and gave me an apologetic smile
“Sorry. This is where we’re all supposed to hang out and chill. Will should be here unless he somehow got lost.” He explained as I followed him to an old, warn out brownish couch. Sort of made me wonder how long it’s actually been out here; looks like it was supposed to be red at some point.
I hesitated before I sat down silently next to him. I plopped down gently and a big cloud of dirt and mildew spewed out into the air around me, making me cough and gag uncontrollably. I stood up quickly and tried to get away from the infected air as fast as possible. In the midst of all this coughing, I tripped and landed on my shoulder. I looked down to see what I tripped over and saw the bush that I failed to see.
I let out one last cough and groaned as I put my hands to my head, waiting for the cackles to begin. When I didn’t hear anything, I opened my eyes and looked around. I’d fallen onto a separate pathway.
I could feel the hint of fear at the far back of my mind as I saw a shadow near the other end.
I sat up and stared at it curiously. It hadn’t budged or moved a bit. Maybe my mind was playing tricks on me or it was a person-shaped tree. I got to my feet and began to hesitantly make my way down the thin dirt path, ignoring the giggles and whispers following behind me. Something was urging me forward. Like an unseen rope was tied to my waist and pulling me toward it against my will.
It kept moving farther and farther down the path, away from me. Though, it looked like it hadn’t moved an inch from its position.
I blinked and it disappeared.
I gasped and ran as fast as I possibly could go. Using my extra speed and agility to catch up to it.
I stopped in the middle of a circle of trees to look around and catch my breath. Then I noticed several different paths were leading away from where I stood. I counted out five, including the one I just came from. Which one?
A milk-curdling cackled came from directly in front of me, interrupting my train of thought. I darted in that direction on a whim, I’m obviously not too far behind.
I slowed down to a stop as I heard footsteps bounding towards me.
Then, before I knew what was happening, someone slammed into me from the side and knocked me down into the brush of trees surrounding me.
Before I even had a chance to see who pushed me down, they were gone. I grunted and got up as I started running again. I could hear voices and unnatural cackling laughter surrounding me. There’s nowhere to go. I’m a total goner out here alone.
I heard slow footsteps come in from behind me. Sneaking around, making as less sounds as humanly possible.
“My love…” He whispered against my neck.
My body automatically tensed at the sound of his heart-melting voice. A trickled of fear crawled up my spine like icy fingers.
Alexander breathed in a long, deep sigh. He slowly let it out against the crook of my neck.
My breath caught in my throat as his hand rose to lift the locks of my blonde curls that managed to escape the band. He leaned in closer to my neck.
“You smell so sweet, my dear,” His voice got low and seductive against my ear, “may I have a little taste?” He asked politely as his sharpened canine teeth grazed the sensitive skin of my neck. His tongue flicked out, lightly brushing against my vital vein.
His voice was so seductively saccharine, I found myself tilting my neck before my mind could even register what my body was doing.
My head and heart were screaming no while my lips moved to form on dreadful word, “Yes.”
I could feel his lips form into a smile against my neck with the simple word. Then, without warning, his teeth punctured my skin and a sharp scream escaped my lungs.
I tore away from him and ran. I ran as fast as my short legs could handle without stopping. I heard his voice reverberate through my head, calling me back to him. No, I won’t listen!
I looked back to see if he was following me. I breathed in a deep sigh of relief and slowed slightly when I didn’t see anyone. I held my hand to my neck. Warm liquid flooded between my fingers; the sweet crimson aroma filling the air. I knew it would leave a scent. It’ll lead him straight to me. I looked up. Before I had time to stop, I ran into something that seemed like a fleshy wall and fell to the ground.
I looked up, not sure of what I was expecting to see. My vision was starting to blue but somehow I met the shadowed eyes of a man.
I took in a deep breath. I opened my mouth with a scream forming in the core of my throat.
“Shush, Haley. I’m here to help,” the man explained with a voice so gentle and firm. Yet, it still frightened me though I’m sure he meant it to be soothing, “I won’t hurt you. I promise.” He held out his hands to me.
I stood quickly, ignoring the dizziness it gave me and completely oblivious to his hands, “Please. Help me. He’s coming for me,” I looked around in panic, “He’s getting closer, I can feel it.”
I finally looked up at the strange figure standing before me. Something white flashed out behind him. Confused, I took a small step back. I tilted my head slightly and realized what they were.
A pair of white, feathery wings took shape behind him.
I wanted to scream all over again, but I couldn’t bring myself to do so. I trusted this man though he frightened me to no end. But then again, I didn’t have much of a choice.
An enormous wave of dizziness washed over me as I collapsed into his arms.
I looked up at him through my woozy haze while he lifted my drained body into his strong arms, “What are you?
“… Let’s just say… I’m your guardian angel…” Was all I managed to hear as his voice trailed off. Everything slowly became white as his gentle wings enfolded us.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I slowly woke, staring up in complete darkness. Where am I?
As my eyes slowly adjusted to the dark, I realized I was back in my room.
I jolted upright like someone just threw a bucket of cold water over my head. How did I get home? Or was last night just a strange dream? Was sneaking out a dream to? The shadow? Alexander?
The anonymous angel?
A gust of wind blew my hair in front of my face. I looked towards the window. To my horror, it was open. I slowly got up and took my time walking over to shut it. I pulled back the curtains and hesitated before looking out.
I knew last night wasn’t a dream. Outside my window lay the broken tree branch I used to crawl out my window.
As I went to close my window, I noticed a single white feather caught in the wooden splinters of the window frame…
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the last chapter! I'm planning on making a sequel but it's gonna take a while. Hope you readers really enjoyed it. Leave comments and tell me what you think and leave some constructive writing tips so the sequel can be even better. I'd greatly appreciate it. :]