Innocence.

Innocence.

I was looking out the balcony, watching the sunrise. What unmistakable beauty, I thought. I felt a smile light up my face as I watched the colors grow…

“Waking up I see that everything is okay.
The first time in my life and now it’s so great.
Slowing down I look around and I am so amazed.”

I was sitting on my couch, laying on my back, this time, watching the sunset. Awed and amazed by how the colors fade into a dark blue sky. I watch the moon come out. Still smiling blissfully…

“I think about the little things that make life great.
I wouldn’t change a thing about it.
This is the best feeling.”

I was five, picking roses for mommy. I skipped down the pathway looking for flowers. I turned around and waved to mommy, who was smiling at me happily. I turned back around and spotted some roses. I picked them and ran back to mommy.

‘Mommy!’ I squealed. ‘Mommy! Look what I found for you!’ she smiled gratefully and took them for my hand…


“This innocence is brilliance.
I hope that it will stay.
This moment is perfect, please don’t go away.
I need you now.
And I’ll hold on to it, don’t you let it pass you by.”

I smiled as I walked around the park. It felt nice to escape for a while. I gazed at the beautiful landscape surrounding me. The miles of trees, so tall, leaning above me. The orange leaves stand out against the dark brown bark. The ground, hard as clay, soft but firm, leaves littering the ground. The trails, leading the way into the abyss of the park. The beautiful way it was all linked together. I felt so safe, I let go of myself and got lost in its gorgeous maze…

“I found a place so safe, not a single tear.
The first time in my life, and now it’s so clear.
Feel calm; I belong, I’m so happy here.”

I looked into his clear blue eyes. He smiled nervously and I mirrored him. I shuffled my body closer to his. He leaned in, my heart racing, my stomach full of butterflies. He gently pressed his lips against mine; my heart exploded. My first kiss, and it was with him, my first ever crush!

“It’s so strong and now I let myself be sincere.
I wouldn’t changed a thing about it,
This is the best feeling.”

It was my first time performing in front of a large audience. I sang the words nervously, scanning the crowd. I saw my parents beaming with pride. I smiled, plucked up my courage, and exploded into the chorus…

“This innocence is brilliance.
I hope that it will stay.
This moment is perfect, please don’t go away.
I need you now.
And I’ll hold on to it, don’t you let it pass you by.”

I looked at my parents, curious as to what they got me for my sweet sixteen. They grinned at me.

‘We know that your curious Avril. This is from our hearts to yours.’ My dad said, getting a large, long box out from under the couch. He gave it to me, still smiling. I grabbed it with curiosity and tore it open. I gasped. It was a guitar. I looked at my parents in happiness, feeling tears in my eyes…


“It's a state of bliss, you think you're dreaming
It's the happiness inside that you're feeling
It's so beautiful it makes you wanna cry”

I felt a rush of adrenaline as I began to sing the chorus once again. I smiled at my adoring fans, shouting ‘Avril!’ and singing along with the lyrics. I smiled at remembering the little things in my life that made it worthwhile. The good things seemed to overrule the bad. This song meant so much to me; it was a pleasure sharing it with all these people, and having them enjoy it as much as I do…

“This innocence is brilliant, It Makes you want to cry.
This innocence is brilliance Please don't go away.
’Cause I need you now.
And I'll hold on to it, don’t you let it pass you by…”