Perfectly Dysfunctional

Three

We landed after only a couple of hours in London Heathrow. I know it was only a couple of hours but it felt like triple the length with my dad. Another hour after getting off the plane, we arrived at our new house. I don’t know why it was a proper house this big when there were only two of us, but then again, this was London, so maybe houses here were different compared to houses back home... I missed home already.

Two days later we finally finished settling in, unpacking stuff and acting civil until we got all the furniture in position. Then I was free to do ‘whatever the fuck I wanted’, so I took loads of walks, and took some cabs around to get used to it. I got into a cab and, after finding out I was Scottish, had just moved here, and was planning on looking around, the driver suggested taking me to the city centre as there was ‘lots of things for me to do there, what with being so young and all’. And being there in the centre of London surrounded by strangers – despite the anxiety and stress it caused me – was the most genuine smile I’d smiled in two whole weeks, and I didn’t find it stupid because I was genuinely happy. After discovering a couple of cool places I could visit a few times, I made a point to walk along and find some more shops that might have some jobs going. I found a couple of café’s and sandwich bars which I visited, because I was out literally all day. When I decided to make my way back home, I noticed a shop which I hadn’t noticed before.

It was some sort of music store, and I guessed it sold tickets, because there was huge, brightly coloured card in the window indicating the gig listings below it. I figured no harm could come from looking to see who was playing soon so I read through them. And to my slight surprise I found The Wanted’s name listed close to the bottom, and they were due to play here in four days. I couldn’t believe my luck when I saw the price and that it wasn’t sold out. I didn’t care that I would be going alone; I needed something to look forward to. So I walked into the shop and straight up to the counter where a young guy, maybe a couple of years older than me, with dirty blonde hair under a grey hat was reading a music magazine. He glanced up then tossed the magazine to the side and straightened up when he saw me approaching and he smiled at me.

“How can I help you?”

“Hi, can I get a ticket for The Wanted, please.”

He raised his eyebrow, “You’re not from here,” he more accused than anything else as he reached under the counter and pulled out a bunch of what must have been about ten tickets, “Just the one? Is standing okay?"

“Evidently...” I said, “And yeah, just one, please; standing is fine.”

“So, what brings you here, then?” he blinked as he handed me my ticket but retracted his hand before I could take it, “Please tell me you didn’t come down here to see them?” His face screwed up in distaste.

A laugh bubbled up in my throat which surprised me, “No, please, what do you take me for? I moved here like, two days ago, but I need something to look forward to.” I reached over and plucked the ticket from his hand, “And, what’s wrong with The Wanted?”

“Oh right, nothing, I’ve just never liked them.” He glared at the countertop then shook his head. “Where’re you from then? Oh, that’s £25, please,”

I handed him the money, “I’m from Glasgow... Thanks,” I said as he handed me my change.

“That’s pretty cool I guess...” he said as he watched me shove my change and ticket into my purse, “So, wait, do you know people down here or what?”

“Nope, just me and my dad,” I snapped my purse shut and put it in my bag, “Why?”

“So you’re going to that gig on your own?”

“Pretty much... Speaking of which; any chance you can tell me how to get to the venue, roughly? My car doesn’t get here until tomorrow night, so I can’t drive around until the day after,”

He looked pretty amazed, “Uh yeah, sure. What street did you come from?”

“That one just there,” I faced the door of the shop then pointed left.

“Okay well it's only about a fifteen minute drive from here,” he screwed his eyes shut as if visualising the way there then listed a bunch of street names that I obviously didn't know, “Then turn right onto there and you’ll probably see the line of screaming girls,” he finished with a smile. “Did you catch any of that?”

“Bits and pieces,” I grinned, “But thanks, I’m sure I’ll figure it out. Thanks again,” I said and made my way to the door.

“Well, why don’t we go there just now? I mean, I’m just about finished up here anyways; we’d have to walk or get the bus but at least that way you’d know the way. Y’know, if you want to. And I’m offering this despite your obvious bad taste in music.” He poked his tongue out slightly as he laughed. I considered. Someone was offering to be some sort of acquaintance if not a friend, and an acquaintance at this point was better than bugger all. But it was getting pretty late and I was shattered, so I compromised.

I gasped in mock shock before laughing then replying, “Y’know, I’d really quite like that, but I can’t just now; my dad wants me home. So why don’t we wait until I get my car down?”

“Sounds good, uh...”

“Jenny, my name’s Jenny,”

“Jenny!” he grinned, “That sounds good. Oh, and I’m Dave,”

I grinned back, “I’ll probably be back along here tomorrow, I love it here. Bye, Dave."
♠ ♠ ♠
Idk I'm just feeling really generous. What do we think of Dave? :)