Perfectly Dysfunctional

Thirty

“That went well, I think,” I grinned at Emma as I closed the door behind me.

She had a bunch of underwear in each hand that she was unpacking from her case and she dropped them to her sides in exasperation and huffed, “On what planet would you define that as ‘well’?! I really don’t see how it could’ve gotten any worse.”

When Emma had been introduced to Nathan – as Jay still wasn't home – she had started off alright but he had pulled her in for a hug and kissed her cheek and then it all went downhill. She had stuttered over every word out of her mouth, before finally deciding on saying thank you about ten times over, then stumbling over more, and eventually I’d had to jump in and stop her, by claiming she must be tired. At least with that claim I was blaming it on her being tired.

“You could’ve shouted at him for signing your hoodie wrong?” I suggested, trying my best not to laugh at the memory of her scolding Nathan for signing her hoodie upside down and giving him a bit of cheek.

My smirk vanished as I got a hard stare, “Not helping, Jenny,” she said and turned to put her underwear in the drawers I had pointed out.

“Oh come on! It could’ve been so much worse!” I said, picking up a bunch of her t-shirts and putting them in another drawer.

“I guess,” she sighed, obviously frustrated with herself, “He must think I’m such a fanny – and I hate you for making me use that word now!” she laughed despite herself and I grinned.

“We will get that to trend on Twitter. One day...” I joked as she removed the last of her toiletries from her case and I threw the pair of shoes on the floor so I could zip up her case and take it to the cupboard in the hall. When I returned to the room she was putting the shoes against the wall beside the cupboard then she flopped onto the bed.

“This room’s pretty nice, by the way; it’s huge,”

“That’s what she said,” I joked.

She laughed, “No but really though, this house is amazing. You’re sure that’s the smallest guest room?”

“Well, yeah-”

“It’s about as big as my room back home!”

“Yeah, well... they can afford it, so why not? Good for them.” Emma agreed, “So, tour of the house or food?”

“Tour,” she said.

“Right, quick tour first. I’ll leave the kitchen ‘til last.” So I showed her pretty much every room bar Nathan's and Jay's, obviously, and pointed out where the bathroom was before taking her downstairs, pointing out more things on the way. “Oh, and that’s the door down to the basement, which is pretty amazing.” I made sure to grab her hand as I felt her tense a little when she saw Nathan standing by the fridge and pulling out a beer, “Bonjour Nath,” I greeted. “What food do you have right now?”

“Everything but I wouldn’t eat right now, Jay's on his way over then we’re either gonna order in or eat out, it’s your choice.”

“Sounds good,” I said and pulled Emma into the room a little further.

“You guys want a beer... or anything else to drink?” He asked.

“Nah, I’m good,” I said and sat down on a stool at the island.

“Uh, nothing for me, thanks,” Emma said then sat beside me and rested her head on my shoulder.

“Was it a long journey?” Nathan asked as he smiled and sat down opposite me. “I know how that feels.”

“Something like that; just worrying about her, and excited to see her,” her head jutted upwards towards me and I ruffled her hair in a joking manner.

“Aw, Emma, I didn’t know you cared!”

“Jenny!” she yelled, “Now my hair’s fucked!”

“I know, I know, I’m sorry, but I’ve not done that in nearly two months!”

She pouted at me, “You know I don’t like people touching my hair,”

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Nathan grin and look at Emma with a smug look on his face, “You really shouldn’t have said that out loud.”

“Oh fuck...” she muttered as he raised his eyebrows at her, “Well it’s the neck with her!”

I groaned, “Emma!”

“So it’s the hair with you and the neck with you?” We both groaned and Nathan pretended to hold a clipboard in front of him, “Check,” he winked at me and I glared at Emma.

“You’re so dead.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Pretty boring to be honest; there's more drama to come though, don't worry! Enjoy! :)