Perfectly Dysfunctional

Thirty four

I heard a door open in the background of my dream, “Jenny!” Nathan called in a child-like voice and jumped on the bed, “How do you feel?”

“Better... ” I mumbled into the pillow, “But if you call me Jenny like that one more time, you’re never getting your room back.”

“We’ll see,” I could hear the smirk in his voice and I rolled over, “You feel well enough to eat? Jay made you soup. Well, I started to make it, but Jay came home and saved the house from flames...” he trailed off with a frown making me laugh.

“I’ll give it a bash then,” I smiled and swung my legs out and sat up slowly having learned from the last time. I stood up shakily before I got used to it and made my way to the door. I turned back and faced the bed, “Goodbye, my love,” I joked and pretended to wipe a tear from my eye.

“Y’know, you could sleep there any time...” Nathan said then winked, “If you get what I mean...” he wiggled his eyebrows and I elbowed him.

“You need laid,” I laughed.

“Weak Jenny, weak,” he laughed along with me as we reached the kitchen.

I sat down at the island and Nathan sat across from me, “Good morning,” Jay joked and beamed as he stood directly behind me. He ruffled my hair and I grinned as I looked up at him.

“Hi Jay, thank you for making me soup Jay, I love you Jay.”

“You're welcome,” he laughed and picked out three bowls that were soon filled with homemade soup and put in front of us. “So Nath told me about what happened earlier,” Jay said after a while and Nathan shot him a look.

“So much for ‘yeah Nath, I won’t mention anything’,” he scoffed and Jay rolled his eyes, “Look Jenny, just forget about it for just now,” he smiled tightly and spooned more soup into his mouth.

My stomach had dropped and I felt ill again at the thought of someone getting harmed through me. I cleared my throat, “Uh, where’s Emma?”

“She went to bed, she was tired after her trek today,” Jay laughed.

Nathan smirked and took everyone’s bowls to the sink, “Wanna watch a movie?” Jay agreed and I followed them through to the living room.

“What do you wanna watch?” Jay asked.

“Anything; you pick,” I said distractedly as I sat down. My mind was elsewhere. Ever since Jay had mentioned the whole Dave situation, my mind had been working overtime trying to think of ways to prevent any harm coming to anyone else. I mean, we’d already been in a bus crash, and Siva’s drink had been spiked, too. I didn’t know what to do.

“Are you okay?” Nathan asked.

“I’m fine,” I replied.

“Then why are you perched on the very edge of the sofa?” he laughed and rested his ankle on his other knee whilst putting his arms back on the sofa. I laughed a little and shrugged. He glanced at Jay who sat on the other side of me and easily picked me up and threw me back into the sofa where they both wrapped their arms around me, “Aw Jenny!” Nathan cooed and Jay joined in.

I groaned but laughed and they pulled away as Avatar started and I groaned, “What’s up with you?” Jay asked.

“I should have prepared myself for this to be the film you'd choose.”

Nathan laughed and high-fived me. About half way through the film I just wasn’t paying attention anymore due to the thoughts running around my head. I was picking at my nails and didn’t think anyone else had noticed.

Suddenly Nathan nudged me a little and I jumped out of my thoughts, “What’s wrong?”

“Do you think it’d be better if I just moved back home?” I asked. There was no point beating around the bush with it. Jay turned to stare at me and I felt Nathan’s gaze on me too.

“Absolutely not,” Jay started, “Why would that be better?”

“I’m just thinking if I’m not here then maybe he’ll just give up, maybe he won’t bother,” I said.

“Jenny, if it’s me he’s pissed at, and you’re not there, he’s going to try something anyway. You’re just... How can I put this? A decoy...?” Nathan glanced at Jay who nodded.

“Yeah, as horrible as it sounds he’s right; you’re sort of... I don’t know, slowing down the process? It’s all coming out wrong-”

“No I get it, it makes sense... Sort of...” I nodded. Basically, with or without me, Dave would still try and kill Nathan.

“Right, so you’re better off here. I mean, if you try and cut contact with us, who knows what he might try? He might end up... hurting... you,” Nathan chose his words carefully, but I knew he meant ‘killing’, “And we’d have no way of knowing. And even if it would be better – which it isn’t – I wouldn’t let you go back there with your dad,” he said.

I pulled a face, “You’re right, as always, big brother,” I joked then smiled.

Jay slung his arm around my shoulders, “You’re stuck with us I’m afraid.”

“Oh God,” I joked, “I really thought that would work as well.” I played along.

“Never, we’re like a disease, you’re stuck with us for life now,” Nathan slung his arm around my other shoulder.

“Oh, fantastic,” I drawled but grinned and hugged them both.
♠ ♠ ♠
My trolling skills are on top-form tonight!