Perfectly Dysfunctional

Fifty eight

“I hope you’re fully rested for tonight,” Nathan grinned at me and I rolled my eyes.

“I’m fine for tonight.” It was New Years Eve and Jayne had invited everyone over to her house for a party. Nareesha had left Rebekah in her mum’s care so her and Siva could come along too.

“I hope so,” he glanced at me worried.

“I told you, I’ll be fine. I’m not drinking, I’ll stay up until an hour or two past midnight, and then I’ll go to sleep.” That was what we’d agreed on because I’d been let out of hospital the day before and was still tired and sore from the medication and surgery.

He smiled at me, “Deal.”

Nareesha and Michelle came over and we kicked Nathan and Jay out to Siva’s so we could all get ready. Nareesha enjoyed herself a lot I reckon, and by about eight o’clock we were all ready. We took a couple of pictures before we heard a car horn beeping. We quickly gathered our things and headed out to meet Nathan and Jay in Nathan’s car and drove to Jayne’s house.

“Happy New Year,” We greeted her as she opened the door and ushered us inside. The night wore on and as it got closer to midnight, Jayne’s house was packed with people. Everyone gathered in the living room where the countdown was starting on the TV. When there was about twenty seconds left, Nathan tugged on my hand and I followed him outside.

“Why are we here? It is freeeeeeezing,” my teeth clattered together and Nathan wrapped me in his arms.

“It’s nicer out here,” he commented and I smiled up at him. From inside we heard everyone counting along with the TV and I grinned at him. “What a year,” he said as he gently rested his head on top of mine gently and swayed a little.

“You can say that again,” I laughed and I heard him chuckle. He pulled away from me a little when people got to number two.

“Happy New Year, Jenny,” he said and I watched breathlessly as his lip curled up at one side.

“Happy New Year,” I grinned and kissed him. His lips fought against mine for a while before I had to pull away. “I really need to be getting inside before I just turn blue,” I said and he laughed as I dragged him in. I quickly found Emma, Michelle and Nareesha and I exchanged ‘Happy New Year’s’ with them then we all had a group hug. Cameras were going off in all directions and I didn’t doubt for a second that half of them would be on the internet before the night was up but I really didn’t care.

“Jenny, guess what?!” Emma squealed.

“You’re drunk?” I laughed.

She paused, “Well... yeah okay, a little, but that’s not it!”

I laughed, “What is it then?”

“James-y baby said I could stay with him! With you!” she grinned then leaned closer, “Forever!”

I glanced behind her at Jay, “Did he now? And you agreed?”

“He did!” she pouted, “And obviously I agreed! I have a shit life at home!” she slurred and I laughed at her.

“So really, that’s it? Despite how stubborn you are you just decided to live here?” I was grinning.

She nodded her head fast, “Uh huh!”

“Who else knows?” I grinned.

“No one,” she grabbed my hand, “Let’s tell them all.” We walked to find everyone and Emma spilled the good news. Jay stood looking proud of him self and grinned and high-fived the guys when both Emma and he confirmed that she wasn’t only saying this because she was drunk. “Let’s celebrate!” she cried, “Shots for everyone!” she screamed, and everyone set to finding nine cups or glasses they could pour shots into.

I quickly turned around and pouted at Nathan, “Please? It’s only one shot, and it is New Year, and Emma’s gonna be living with us, and I feel okay, and please, please, please?” I gave him my best puppy dog look and he rolled his eyes.

“Fine, just one though. And don’t make hers Jaeger!” he called to Nareesha who paused then grabbed the vodka.

“That’s fine, thank you!” I grinned. I felt like I was sixteen, having to ask permission to have a shot. I was glad it wasn’t Jaeger though, that stuff made me ill enough, never mind being on antibiotics and stuff too. He wrapped his arm around my waist and held me to his side as we all picked up our cups that had our shots in them. Max paused and tried to think of a toast; “How about Happy New Year?” I suggested rather sarcastically and he pulled a face.

“Fine, Happy New Year!” he yelled and we all chorused after him, raising our cups.

“Oh! And I’m moving!” Emma grinned.

“And Emma’s moving!” Max cheered and we all chorused that too, clashing our cups together again and downing our shots. When we all slammed our cups down on the counter, a flash went off and we all gasped after we got used to the burning. That picture no doubt had nine grimacing faces on it. A few hours later, after picture upon picture was taken of anything and everything and everyone, Nathan pulled me upstairs to go to sleep. I pouted at him, “I hate you.”

“No you don’t,” he grinned and I smiled.

“No you’re right,” I laughed and Nathan threw my pyjamas at me. Instead of going home, Jayne had insisted that I stayed, so I’d brought some pyjamas along with me. I threw them on and lay face down on the bed. “It’s a new year,” I mumbled and I heard him laugh, “You’re new album’s coming out this year,” I mumbled again.

“Yup,” I heard him laugh.

“What’s funny?” I asked him.

He laughed, “Just you.” I pretended to pout then he got in bed with me. I listened to all the music blaring downstairs and everyone chattering away. “You want to be down there don’t you?” he asked me.

“Only a little bit,” I wrapped myself around him, “Because this isn’t so bad.”

“Sleep, and then you can laugh at everyone tomorrow who’s shattered and hungover.”

I laughed, “Sounds good.”

I started thinking about the year I’d left behind – I’d left behind a shit life for what I was sure to be an even shittier life in London – but boy was I so wrong. Instead, I met the best bunch of people I ever have met who also managed to be the bunch of people I thought I’d never meet. Over the past seven months sure, we’d all had some bumps along the way and a Hell of a lot of fights, but that’s life, right? It’s dysfunctional – nobody’s life is perfect. But that was the thing with me – my life was far from perfect, and it was most definitely far from being functional, but for me, my life was perfectly dysfunctional, and I wouldn’t change it for the world.
♠ ♠ ♠
And so there you all have it :) Thank you so much if you've stuck with this story until now, I know it's definitely not the shortest one ever! Your support means a lot, and I'm glad you've all enjoyed it! Til next time... :D